Marc Guehi

gdm

All the journo's & ITKs who didn't even report a single thing about interest in Guehi, have all of a sudden become experts in the deal since Ornstein broke our interest. Funny that. I'm genuinely not caring about what any one of them says is happening right now. They're all just looking for an angle after being thoroughly gazumped..

“It was also reported that Chelsea had included sell-on incentives and the right to match any offers made for Guéhi in future”

From Wiki. They’ll be lurking, as usual.

4 minutes ago, Ben said:

Imagine going through your whole life with that mindset 

Well he’s not a Newcastle fan. He’s not even from the area. He’s an outsider with a chip on his shoulder likely forged through years of being told that he is wrong (and is more often than not). He likely believes in the “deluded Geordies” trope, it comes across in all of his writing. He’s always trying to dampen our expectations. He has one of these personalities like a lot of journalists where they think the sun shines out of their arse. They’re all Shakespeare in their own minds. 

40 minutes ago, Kanji said:

Genuinely annoying when something like this comes out and we have makeshift accountants trying to think about PSR/FFP. If you want to talk about it, then think about what Eales is probably also working on with Yasir and the PIF crew and that's the revenue offset to pay for this. Either commercial or sales.

I try not to get bogged down trying to have deep discussions with the balance sheet kings on here but it's about time people look at both parts of the the ledger then. You can spend if you have a plan for the future. It's OK. Let the professionals work. 

Just ENJOY some interesting and exciting transfer news ffs. 

That's how some people enjoy the transfer news tbf. :lol:

Some of the posts in the PSR thread make my head spin but I still pop in there now and then to see if there's anything I can understand before swiftly exiting none the wiser.

Give me a smokescreen conspiracy or a cartel club tap up rumour and I'm golden.

13 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Coming off the Euros. 

I’d bet he’s never sold for more than this next transfer if it’s the big numbers quoted. Unless Saudi  

If he joins us he’ll get better, he’s at an age where he’s got one more big move, at least, after this one. Declaring that he’s at peak value right now is very silly.

Edited by Dr Venkman

3 minutes ago, TRon said:

That's how some people enjoy the transfer news tbf. :lol:

Some of the posts in the PSR thread make my head spin but I still pop in there now and then to see if there's anything I can understand before swiftly exiting none the wiser.

Give me a smokescreen conspiracy or a cartel club tap up rumour and I'm golden.

I get that, the issue is you can't just talk about the expense side and say "our revenues don't support the spend" when you don't know what the forecasted revenues are, be it commercial or player sales. So you're missing a massively key input. Now, we had our PSR issue before, fine. But if we're spending now with that in hindsight and likely a ton of learnings, then surely you can assume the club will have a gameplan to make these signings balance? 

Olise went for £50.7m, so £60m seems a little steep. He’s probably worth £50m, but the problem is others will more than likely be interested at that fee.

Edited by Ronson333

Just now, Kanji said:

I get that, the issue is you can't just talk about the expense side and say "our revenues don't support the spend" when you don't know what the forecasted revenues are, be it commercial or player sales. So you're missing a massively key input. Now, we had our PSR issue before, fine. But if we're spending now with that in hindsight and likely a ton of learnings, then surely you can assume the club will have a gameplan to make these signings balance? 

Also I think the PSR rules will begin a new cycle from this season so we could probably spend a lot of money if we wanted to but would have to balance that at the end of the new cycle.

11 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Well if that's true then we won't sign him, so no need to worry. 

Or we will and in a freakout sell players just before PSR kicks in.

Although I prefer your version! 😄

He has two years left on his contract at Crystal Palace and has been valued at more than £70million. Chelsea, his former club, are due 20 per cent of the profit on any deal.

Guéhi joined Palace for £18million three years ago having come through Chelsea’s academy, and the west London club have the right to match any bids from other clubs.

Fucking Chelsea.

Just now, timeEd32 said:

He has two years left on his contract at Crystal Palace and has been valued at more than £70million. Chelsea, his former club, are due 20 per cent of the profit on any deal.

Guéhi joined Palace for £18million three years ago having come through Chelsea’s academy, and the west London club have the right to match any bids from other clubs.

Fucking Chelsea.

How many fucking centre backs do they want?

2 hours ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

You think we only have money for one significant signing?

*2 significant signings - we're spending something like £28m on Hall too. I sometimes forget this myself...

But yeah, them combined I'd say is at the very upper limit of what we can do without a big sale/s before next June. Or some surprise new sponsorship...

1 hour ago, midds said:

Going big on Guehi doesn't automatically mean we're not still in the market for a RW too. No reason why we couldn't buy Guehi and use a loan to get a big RW and defer the payment for a year. We get both positions filled this month and spread the cost without losing a purple. 

Have full confidence in the transfer team and finding a way to make us as strong as we possibly can be - shit is clearly happening behind the scenes, just going to relax and see where we are on 1st Sept 

Think the loans point for RW is a very good one. There's still ways and means for us to play the game, and I'm sure the club is examining every angle.

49 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Not sure why some fans are focusing more on the ffp/psr ramifications of a potential deal. We have had that shit all summer, just enjoy trying to sign a genuinely top quality player.

I think you're partly right, but the flip side is people having dickie fits over the shock of us selling someone like Bruno next year and how it speaks badly about the club's management. We're better off having our eyes open about what's going on. Doesn't mean we shouldn't be looking to invest and expand, though.

My money is on this being a smokescreen guys, sorry but it just has to be said.

Pretend we are in for a big, high cost defensive signing to get the Chelseas and the Liverpools scrambling for his signature while we quietly sign our real target, whether that be Thiaw or some expensive RW.

5 minutes ago, timeEd32 said:

Fucking Chelsea.

What does "right to match any bids" even means? Anyone can bid whatever they like surely. 

11 minutes ago, Kanji said:

This is part of what I call the Ashley trap. A negative outlook creating a doom spiral.

2 minutes ago, Cf said:

What does "right to match any bids" even means? Anyone can bid whatever they like surely. 

If we bid 50m they couldn’t sign him for 49m. They would have to match our bid, presumably.

Edited by BoSelecta