Marc Guehi

gdm

Presumably when we raise our bid by 5m or whatever we need to go through a process, which likely involves a conversation with majority shareholders. It's not as simple as a phone call, besides which, you can't let the selling club think you are desperate because then they will just expect you to up your offer each time.

We will be putting together a serious package and we will want Palace to take it very seriously. We've already unsettled their player, so that's half the battle done.

3 minutes ago, STM said:

I'd be astonished if this DOESNT happen, given everything I've seen with transfers in the past.

Sounds like Palace are willing sellers, we are willing buyers and that Guehi has agreed to join us. There is also no other club in for him... as things stand.

We could do with getting a wriggle on mind. [emoji38]

I agree it feels like only a matter of time before he signs.

Although I have no reason not to trust the club's judgement on this considering their track record to date, I can't help but feel we're overpaying a fair bit on account of the PL/English player premium and on the back of the Euros where he was hyped a fair bit by the British media. Can't personally say I've ever considered Guehi as one of the best CB's in the PL either. If you'd have asked me to list the 10 best ones over the past two seasons I doubt he'd have made that list.

1 minute ago, Unbelievable said:

Although I have no reason not to trust the club's judgement on this considering their track record to date, I can't help but feel we're overpaying a fair bit on account of the PL/English player premium and on the back of the Euros where he was hyped a fair bit by the British media. Can't personally say I've ever considered Guehi as one of the best CB's in the PL either. If you'd have asked me to list the 10 best ones over the past two seasons I doubt he'd have made that list.

Out of interest, who would have made your list ?

1 minute ago, Unbelievable said:

Set yourself a challenge there :lol:

Ok, here goes: Van Dijk, Stones, Ruben Dias, Saliba, Gabriel, Van de Ven, Ake, Akanji and I'd have Schar and Botman ahead of him t0o. It's probably partly me not paying that much attention to Palace, but I genuinely can't say I've ever sat and watched a game before this Euros and come away thinking I've just watched a center back masterclass by Marc Guehi, or even that he caught my eye. I made a point of re-watching our extended match highlights vs Palace of last year (only featured in the 4-1 game I was lucky to attend), and it was a horror show.

Edited by Unbelievable

Being behind those is hardly a crime like. Not sure how Van der Ven sneaked in there though. 

Also, all Man City defenders look class because they play for Man City. Guehi plays for Palace. 

9 minutes ago, Unbelievable said:

Ok, here goes: Van Dijk, Stones, Ruben Dias, Saliba, Gabriel, Van de Ven, Ake, Akanji and I'd have Schar and Botman ahead of him to. It's probably partly me not paying that much attention to Palace, but I genuinely can't say I've ever sat and watched a game before this Euros and come away thinking I've just watched a center back masterclass by Marc Guehi, or even that he caught my eye. I made a point of re-watching our extended match highlights vs Palace of last year (only featured in the 4-1 game I was lucky to attend), and it was a horror show.

We can do that to defenders though, just look at Van de Ven's performance against us at SJP. I think it's also worth noting at Guehi for the most part has played his career under a very defensive Roy Hodgson, which will lead to defenders being exposed more, his England performances will more then likely the blueprint to base him on, as he's was playing for a team that enjoyed much more of the ball, playing higher up the pitch, like we will be.

Personally I also look at what other fanbases are saying, and from what i've seen, most people are saying that this would be a great signing even at this price point. 

Edited by 54

Just now, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Being behind those is hardly a crime like. Not sure how Van der Ven sneaked in there though. 

Also, all Man City defenders look class because they play for Man City. Guehi plays for Palace. 

It's not a crime. It's just that I've never thought over the past two years of Marc Guehi of Crystal Palace fame as one of the top class center backs in the league, or one that would command (close to) a Newcastle United transfer record fee.

Also, Micky van de Ven is class. Unlucky to have got injured, similar to Botman. I won't have a bad word said about him.

3 minutes ago, Unbelievable said:

It's not a crime. It's just that I've never thought over the past two years of Marc Guehi of Crystal Palace fame as one of the top class center backs in the league, or one that would command (close to) a Newcastle United transfer record fee.

Also, Micky van de Ven is class. Unlucky to have got injured, similar to Botman. I won't have a bad word said about him.

Not even after Isak embarrassed him? (I actually also really rate van de Ven as well)

18 minutes ago, Unbelievable said:

Ok, here goes: Van Dijk, Stones, Ruben Dias, Saliba, Gabriel, Van de Ven, Ake, Akanji and I'd have Schar and Botman ahead of him t0o. It's probably partly me not paying that much attention to Palace, but I genuinely can't say I've ever sat and watched a game before this Euros and come away thinking I've just watched a center back masterclass by Marc Guehi, or even that he caught my eye. I made a point of re-watching our extended match highlights vs Palace of last year (only featured in the 4-1 game I was lucky to attend), and it was a horror show.

I don't want to make excuses for the lad before he has even signed, but I dare say you put Guehi into a side like City, Liverpool, Arsenal, or Spurs then he'd also look miles better as well with the reduced work load compared to what he has had to deal with at Palace. Also, I love Schar, but putting him (and even Botman) above Guehi is likely our Newcastle bias. 

Of the realistic PL CB’s we could lure he’s definitely in the top 3 I’d say. I’d have him above Gabriel, Van de Ven, Ake and Akanji as well taking age and suitability for our way of playing into account. 

I don’t think I’ve ever thought this way about a potential signing but here it is. Put aside all of his obvious qualities and what he would bring to the team with all of his great attributes. A relatively big reason I also want him is because, Wow, what a genuinely nice person he seems, like ridiculously genuine and humble. We talk about character and mentality when it comes to players which obviously is important for many reasons. His attitude is great, he has leadership and the right mentality. I really hope we get him because I really like him already and he isn’t even our player, because he seems to be a lovely guy to have around too. 

14 minutes ago, sushimonster85 said:

I don't want to make excuses for the lad before he has even signed, but I dare say you put Guehi into a side like City, Liverpool, Arsenal, or Spurs then he'd also look miles better as well with the reduced work load compared to what he has had to deal with at Palace. Also, I love Schar, but putting him (and even Botman) above Guehi is likely our Newcastle bias. 

The media always focus on the top 6 clubs and hype up the players at them, and the fans duly follow suit.

If these clubs aren't involved a lot of fans don't watch the matches. It's why they think the players at other clubs aren't that good. You will often see people on here saying we shouldn't be signing players from certain clubs if we want to progress, which is ridiculous.

Edited by KaKa

2 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I'm not sure where the criteria that he has to be better than all of Man City and Arsenal's CBs came from :lol:

I only brought up I'd not have him in my top 10 center backs over the past two seasons because of the fee we're reportedly paying tbf. It feels to me we're paying top dollar and at the point of peak value (so far) for someone I can't say I had down as one of the league's very best defenders. How many on here have genuinely commented on Guehi in those terms over the past two seasons, let's be honest? 

I've done a forum search on mentions before the Euros: 
https://newcastle-online.org/search/?&q=Guehi&type=forums_topic&page=2&quick=1&nodes=5&search_and_or=and&start_before=1714435200&sortby=relevancy

In fairness, he has been mentioned as a good option by posters more than I imagined, even at the >50m price range. Fair enough, maybe I've been sleeping over the guy. In any case, as I said, the club have shown numerous times they know far better what they are doing than silly old me, so if he indeed joins I have no doubt he'll be brilliant for us. 

Edited by Unbelievable

My only reservation over signing him is that I think it means we won’t sign a RW. I’m absolutely delighted if we do sign him though. I think he’s brilliant.