Marc Guehi

gdm

7 minutes ago, nufc4eva said:

He looks like he would fit this team perfectly, can ping a ball as well. Not bothered if 65m, let the accountants worry about it. Strong defence enables those in front

What if the accountants say we can't afford 65m? :lol:

41 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Don't think its been too bad. Been going a week with minimal noise for such a high profile deal.

Not really meaning this deal. I mean the whole window. Selling Anderson and Minteh, signing a free transfer, a raw kid striker albeit with potential and the whole bizzare goalkeeper situation. We’ve still got everyone of the players we want shot of even Ryan Fraser and now there’s talk of keeping Almiron and not getting the RW we’ve been told all summer was ‘our priority’ 

Personally I think Guehi will sign next week and it’ll be a great signing but the window has been as underwhelming as it gets in my opinion 

Edited by gdm

1 minute ago, gdm said:

Not really meaning this deal. I mean the whole window. Selling Anderson and Minteh, signing a free transfer, a raw kid striker albeit with potential and the whole bizzare goalkeeper situation. We’ve still got everyone of the players we want shot of even Ryan Fraser and now there’s talk of keeping Fraser and not getting the RW we’ve been told all summer was ‘our priority’ 

Personally I think Guehi will sign next week and it’ll be a great signing but the window has been as underwhelming as it gets in my opinion 

No doubt it’s frustrating but I think it’s worth remembering we cannot flog most of the shite we have accumulated, I don’t think it’s for lack of trying. With PSR obviously being tight we can’t afford to stockpile anymore players wages

Just now, Ashley17 said:

No doubt it’s frustrating but I think it’s worth remembering we cannot flog most of the shite we have accumulated, I don’t think it’s for lack of trying. With PSR obviously being tight we can’t afford to stockpile anymore players wages

Yeah. I’m not blaming the club. PSR is mind numbingly depressing & boring 

10 minutes ago, gdm said:

Not really meaning this deal. I mean the whole window. Selling Anderson and Minteh, signing a free transfer, a raw kid striker albeit with potential and the whole bizzare goalkeeper situation. We’ve still got everyone of the players we want shot of even Ryan Fraser and now there’s talk of keeping Almiron and not getting the RW we’ve been told all summer was ‘our priority’ 

not a case of us keeping almiron - its more that no one ekse wants him.

1 minute ago, huss9 said:

not a case of us keeping almiron - its more that no one ekse wants him.

Yeah makes it even more depressing. Baffling we gave him a 3 & half year deal last year

Edited by gdm

14 minutes ago, Terrymac1966 said:

Sick of these comments Almiron is a very committed player with Newcastle at heart.

Love the bloke and his attitude.

He's just not good enough for where we want to be. Got nothing to do with him as a person or his attitude. 

51 minutes ago, Terrymac1966 said:

Sick of these comments Almiron is a very committed player with Newcastle at heart.

I love his attitude too, he’s as hard working a player as I’ve ever seen for us but I get why people desperately want him replaced because his output is diabolical. 

1 hour ago, Terrymac1966 said:

No one is disputing that.

The point is, we simply need a better player on the RW.

1 hour ago, The Prophet said:

We arguably need RCB more than RW.

What? How does Guehi stepping in for Schar or sitting on the bench mean more for the club than updating a low goal scoring and old rw? I feel better about Burn/Schar than MIggy/Murphy. 

2 hours ago, et tu brute said:

He's just not good enough for where we want to be. Got nothing to do with him as a person or his attitude. 

This^

1 hour ago, rebelrouser said:

What? How does Guehi stepping in for Schar or sitting on the bench mean more for the club than updating a low goal scoring and old rw? I feel better about Burn/Schar than MIggy/Murphy. 

Guehi is a better CB than Schar and has plenty of years ahead of him. 

Because until Botman is fit, Guehi is streets ahead of Kelly and Burn. 

We did not get 4th because our attack was just the best of all time, we achieved it with one of the best and consistent defensive units in the league. We did not have that last season. Seems like our scouting and coaching team think Guehi is the key to bringing back that solid defensive unit. 

1 hour ago, rebelrouser said:

I'd argue it's more to do with the drop off in quality in those particular positions and what that then means for the teams as a whole rather than the current quality of player in that position. Whilst Lascelles is injured, the next CB in line if Schar is out for any length of time is Krafth (who isn't actually a CB let's be honest here) and there is a HUGE drop in quality if that happens

Whereas if Miggy is injured then Murphy comes in or even Barnes/Gordon swaps and there is no drop off in quality or output (arguably more output if Barnes or Gordon plays at RW instead).

It's why we were so desperate for Tosin at the start of window, that would've sorted the defence for this season and meant money could be spent elsewhere (RW, maybe even GK).

People failing to grasp that the right wing output didn’t outdo us last season - It was injuries and fatigue. Guehi adds depth and quality. 

7 hours ago, gdm said:

We can’t force clubs to sign our players man [emoji38] I’m genuinely intrigued as to what people expect us to do when it comes to selling these sort of players. Nobody wants them, for obvious reasons.

5 hours ago, rebelrouser said:

Because our attack was absolutely fine last season while our defence was shocking? Weren’t we the third highest scorers in the league?