Marc Guehi

gdm

7 hours ago, gdm said:

Not really meaning this deal. I mean the whole window. Selling Anderson and Minteh, signing a free transfer, a raw kid striker albeit with potential and the whole bizzare goalkeeper situation. We’ve still got everyone of the players we want shot of even Ryan Fraser and now there’s talk of keeping Almiron and not getting the RW we’ve been told all summer was ‘our priority’ 

Personally I think Guehi will sign next week and it’ll be a great signing but the window has been as underwhelming as it gets in my opinion 

Completely agree. We’ve still got loads of dead wood we haven’t moved on and haven’t filled either of the two key positions everyone knows we needed to fill. There’s still time but as it stands it’s been underwhelming.  

5 hours ago, Kanji said:

People failing to grasp that the right wing output didn’t outdo us last season - It was injuries and fatigue. Guehi adds depth and quality. 

Whilst it didn’t, it still needs increased output. Gordon / Isak have to hit 30+ prem goals, with Barnes / Wilson around 15 goals at a minimum to balance it out again. A RW that can contribute closer to 10 takes the pressure of elsewhere when opposition will be more wise to trying to shut down the other men.

9 hours ago, gdm said:

Not really meaning this deal. I mean the whole window. Selling Anderson and Minteh, signing a free transfer, a raw kid striker albeit with potential and the whole bizzare goalkeeper situation. We’ve still got everyone of the players we want shot of even Ryan Fraser and now there’s talk of keeping Almiron and not getting the RW we’ve been told all summer was ‘our priority’ 

Personally I think Guehi will sign next week and it’ll be a great signing but the window has been as underwhelming as it gets in my opinion 

Nobody wants our ageing players, who are on contracts that far outweigh their actual ability? Meaning we can’t really move for targets that would actually improve us. I’m shocked. 

The GK thing is odd, grantef. But Ruddy has basically signed as a coach and the bloke from Forest seems like a PSR fiddle only. 

8 hours ago, LFEE said:

This was in reference to Guehi… as it’s the Guehi thread 😬

It'd be suicide to go until January with just Burn, Kelly and Schar. We're one injury away from a disaster as it stands.

RW there's at least a few options and we'd still destroy teams with the way we play. 

1 hour ago, jonny1403 said:

Because our attack was absolutely fine last season while our defence was shocking? Weren’t we the third highest scorers in the league?

Don’t recall our defence being shocking. Do you not think the drop was us A losing Pope and B the reduction in our pressing game from our forwards and midfielders due to our injury situation and limited options to rotate?

2 hours ago, madras said:

Injuries were our main issue last season.

I stand corrected, you can't predict injury nor prevent it from happening ever again. The best you can do is improve your depth , defence is our main weakness last season , not to mention we will have 2 CB out of a period time. Guehi would be much needed than a RW

Edited by teohgk

7 hours ago, rebelrouser said:

What? How does Guehi stepping in for Schar or sitting on the bench mean more for the club than updating a low goal scoring and old rw? I feel better about Burn/Schar than MIggy/Murphy. 

I think you could argue the toss either way, but we're an injury away from Krafth playing at CB for a decent chunk of games.

It's more about the lack of depth more than anything else.

10 hours ago, Terrymac1966 said:

Sick of these comments Almiron is a very committed player with Newcastle at heart.

Love the bloke and his attitude.

I don’t dislike him. He seems a great guy but he’s not good enough. He doesn’t get on the bench never mind start for any of the top half sides. It’s no surprise no one wants him 

2 hours ago, jonny1403 said:

We can’t force clubs to sign our players man [emoji38] I’m genuinely intrigued as to what people expect us to do when it comes to selling these sort of players. Nobody wants them, for obvious reasons.

10 hours ago, gdm said:

Yeah. I’m not blaming the club. PSR is mind numbingly depressing & boring 

can’t you read? I said I don’t blame the club it’s PSR that’s the issue. At no point did I say I expected anything. Doesn’t change the fact the window has been frustrating and underwhelming 

7 minutes ago, gdm said:

I don’t dislike him. He seems a great guy but he’s not good enough. He doesn’t get on the bench never mind start for any of the top half sides. It’s no surprise no one wants him 

Seen someone yesterday saying they won’t cry if we sign a RW but happy to go with Murphy and Almiron. 6 months aside, the two of them have been average at best.

1 hour ago, LFEE said:

Don’t recall our defence being shocking. Do you not think the drop was us A losing Pope and B the reduction in our pressing game from our forwards and midfielders due to our injury situation and limited options to rotate?

We conceded 63 goals last season compared to 33 the season before. Almost double. It was quite clearly a big issue that needs solving by adding depth.

30 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Carlos going to Fulham has Villa fans suggesting they may move for Guehi.

Well they do seem to copy everything we do 

10 minutes ago, jonny1403 said:

We conceded 63 goals last season compared to 33 the season before. Almost double. It was quite clearly a big issue that needs solving by adding depth.

Yes but like I said the reasons for that weren’t solely down to those playing in the back four positions.

2 minutes ago, LFEE said:

Yes but like I said the reasons for that weren’t solely down to those playing in the back four positions.

Aye it was that constant big gaping hole in front of the back four that used to annoy me.

The lack of stand out quality at RW is compensated by the effectiveness of the team as an attacking unit. I'd be far more worried I'd we didn't recruit at CB than if we didn't recruit at RW.

In fact I'm more concerned about the backup goalie situation than anything at all; being forced into signing Vlachodimos as opposed to who we actually wanted is frustrating. 

3 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

The lack of stand out quality at RW is compensated by the effectiveness of the team as an attacking unit. I'd be far more worried I'd we didn't recruit at CB than if we didn't recruit at RW.

In fact I'm more concerned about the backup goalie situation than anything at all; being forced into signing Vlachodimos as opposed to who we actually wanted is frustrating. 

agreed with this. We could really do with some legs at CB.

And your point about the attacking unit… there’s no greater evidence of this than Jacob Murphy having the most assists per 90 minutes of any winger in the league (and top percentile across all top 5 leagues) last season.

4 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Agree with all 3 of your points 

Getting a CB will improve the baseline of the team, we can score 100 goals next season  but as we seen, if we ship goals, it's gonna knack us

With Murphy / Almiron we still got a record scoring season. Don't get me wrong, it's a bit ridiculous we haven't upgraded the position in 6 transfer windows, but needs must right now with PSR and last seasons results etc

Wish we had gotten Marmaduke or even Trafford

6 minutes ago, gdm said:

Trippier was effectively doing the job of the RW last season. He got 10 assists in 28 games 

Murphy got 7 in only 13 90s and 14 starts tbf