Marc Guehi

gdm

1 minute ago, Ikon said:

Easy to say. But it depends on injuries. Guehi added makes a big difference to the overall quality/depth. How it makes us much less vulnerable in this area if we suffer injuries at CB. Even more than we already have there. Also takes us up a level. Not just defensively but also in the build up when in possession. 

It does depend on injuries, but you have to assume the injuries are going to be a lot less than last season. 

Even if we do the same as last season we should get into Europe, we got very unlucky with the cup winners. 

1 minute ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Winning things has a load of luck involved, maybe with the exception of the league. I personally care much more about the process and whether I feel we’re moving in the right direction. 

Yeah, not to mention every other club is also trying to improve and win things. It's not in a vacuum where everyone is stood still and if Newcastle don't move ahead it's because we've fucked up 

22 minutes ago, Ginola14 said:

in terms of signings under Howe, imo almost all of them have been a success, which I believe is quite rare for most clubs 

most here seemed to be against Gordon signing at the time and quite a few said Isak was too expensive 

maybe I'm overly optimistic but I reckon this will prove to be another great signing 

Yeah, but, he signed Solanke who has struggled badly, scoring just three times in 42 Premier League outings under Howe.

36 minutes ago, Away Toon said:

If this was true we would have won something and would be in Europe this season. Harsh maybe but true nevertheless.

Did you read that before you posted it ? 

If so, what did they do wrong that stopped us from winning the league or getting into Europe ?

4 minutes ago, BottledDog said:

Yeah, but, he signed Solanke who has struggled badly, scoring just three times in 42 Premier League outings under Howe.

I wonder if Bournemouth fans think Solanke was a bad signing for them.

8 minutes ago, Ikon said:

Easy to say. But it depends on injuries. Guehi added makes a big difference to the overall quality/depth. How it makes us much less vulnerable in this area if we suffer injuries at CB. Even more than we already have there. Also takes us up a level. Not just defensively but also in the build up when in possession. 

Even with zero signings we have added a top class CM (Tonali), have at least 6 less European fixtures to deal with and would have to be insanely unlucky to have anywhere near the same level of injuries we had last year. I'd be shocked if we didn't finish in Europe as it stands, let alone with more signings to come in.

1 minute ago, jonny1403 said:

Even with zero signings we have added a top class CM (Tonali), have at least 6 less European fixtures to deal with and would have to be insanely unlucky to have anywhere near the same level of injuries we had last year. I'd be shocked if we didn't finish in Europe as it stands, let alone with more signings to come in.

Yes I think we are getting into Europe but I’m not taking anything for granted like some seem to do. I think we are likely to do it. Say one bad injury to Isak or Bruno and it can very easily go not so good. Other teams have strengthened quite a bit too. Not saying that the other teams that look stronger on paper will all do well, but if it clicks for them and they are lucky with injuries. If we are a bit lucky then I think it’s too 4 for us, but so much can happen. 

10 minutes ago, jonny1403 said:

I love when people say this and totally disregard the injuries other teams had last season and also the fact every other team is building and improving their squads. Man Utd, Chelsea (at an insane level) West Ham, Spurs & Brighton have all improved their squads massively 

6 minutes ago, gdm said:

I love when people say this and totally disregard the injuries other teams had last season and also the fact every other team is building and improving their squads. Man Utd, Chelsea (at an insane level) West Ham, Spurs & Brighton have all improved their squads massively 

How on earth you can say Chelsea have improved when they've arguably worsened their manager and become even more of a trainwreck than last season is beyond me.:lol: There's an argument that Liverpool, Villa and Chelsea will be worse off even if Man U, Spurs and Brighton improve.

20 minutes ago, tarie4 said:

I wonder if Bournemouth fans think Solanke was a bad signing for them.

Not all Howes fault as he's not currently there, but Bournemouth have got shot of Solanke now, so we'll never know if it could have worked out in the end or not.

4 minutes ago, jonny1403 said:

How on earth you can say Chelsea have improved when they've arguably worsened their manager and become even more of a trainwreck than last season is beyond me.:lol: There's an argument that Liverpool, Villa and Chelsea will be worse off even if Man U, Spurs and Brighton improve.

Chelsea are a basket case but they have signed some good players. It’s up in the air how they’ll be but the fact Chelsea are only one u could pick up it proves my point. People always make the point that we’ll be fine next season referring back to last season and the injuries but completely ignore the fact other teams have strengthened from last season 

6 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

People regularly equate buying players to improving. It can and often is the case, but it's not a guarantee.

Correct but the point still stands you cannot just assume we’ll be fine because we won’t have injuries and finished 7th. Some teams will be vastly different 

Edited by gdm

1 minute ago, andycap said:

If it's accepted that'll be it transfer wise. no right winger unless we get a loan in. 

How do you know ?

36 minutes ago, Hudson said:

Did you read that before you posted it ? 

If so, what did they do wrong that stopped us from winning the league or getting into Europe ?

Well where to start.  Didn't start Tino and Hall when both Trippier and Burn were throwing points away like confetti. Bought Tonali and then couldn't play him for most of the season. Ran the players into the ground leading to an unprecedented injury crisis.  Still relied on Wilson to back up Isac.  Bought Barnes who we didn't need. Started Miggy at RW. No plan B on the pitch to mitigate the fact that we were unable to play our normal high press aggressive football.  We wouldn't have won the league but we should have qualified for Europe. 

10 minutes ago, gdm said:

Chelsea are a basket case but they have signed some good players. It’s up in the air how they’ll be but the fact Chelsea are only one u could pick up it proves my point. People always make the point that we’ll be fine next season referring back to last season and the injuries but completely ignore the fact other teams have strengthened from last season 

Eh? I mentioned Chelsea, Liverpool and Villa in my post :lol: