Marc Guehi

gdm

8 minutes ago, alexf said:

Stick by my original thoughts, that he's not as good as he's made out to be.

People convince themselves when there is a large fee involved, just had a decent tournament for England and therefore is being hyped by media, that we are getting one of the best defenders in the world. He isn't.

I think he is steady and will make the squad stronger, but he won't transform our fortunes. 

But for our record signing we sort of need more than that don't we? 

Happy to hold my hands up and be proved wrong if he helps fire us back into Champions league this season. 

Um ... you don't get one of the best defenders in the world for £65 million. No one is expecting that. That's a ridiculous narrative.

He's a really good young defender that is established in the league, that should continue to improve, and that should be a great long term partner for Botman.

Not on here necessarily, but your average Joe on the street will have high expectations of him. With the fee aswell, sometimes that can weigh heavy on a player. 

2 minutes ago, alexf said:

Not on here necessarily, but your average Joe on the street will have high expectations of him. With the fee aswell, sometimes that can weigh heavy on a player. 

we are all average joes man!

Different playing style but I’d say he’s as good, well probably better, than Botman; for whom we’d be asking for a similar fee if someone came knocking. Their valuation is high but not obscenely so imo.

Just now, McCormick said:

Different playing style but I’d say he’s as good, well probably better, than Botman; for whom we’d be asking for a similar fee if someone came knocking. Their valuation is high but not obscenely so imo.

Agreed.  He’s a clear upgrade on Schar for me

2 minutes ago, McCormick said:

Yes Botman is a great player, amazing on the ball and how he reads the game, great in the air. His one weakness and where he may struggle post ACL is speed. Guehi would compliment him perfectly in that respect but he himself is also very good on the ball and while not massively not is strong as anything against powerful strikers.

With players like Kelly, Guehi, Tino teams won’t be able to do us for pace.

Edited by ExiledGeordie

1 hour ago, madras said:

We can have several captains/leaders, but only one has the arm band.

Shearer was England's captain, was Adams any less a leader ?

Literally not my point, I was saying he won’t be made captain as long as Bruno is here imo.

3 minutes ago, alexf said:

Well, we can't not go for players we like at higher fees we deem to be worth it, because some fans will be expecting them to be the best players in the world.

I remember some moaning about Isak and how much we paid for him, because he 'wasn't a goal scorer', based on one season. And we've made a bunch of other clubs look complete mugs with that deal.

11 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Literally haven’t seen anyone say he’s one of the best defenders in the world

Some random Palace fan joined last night and said he’s world class I think 😂

1 hour ago, TheBrownBottle said:

A lot of people think we’re ‘overpaying’ - Man City, Man Utd, Liverpool and Chelsea have all paid this sort of money for a centre back at least once (sometimes significantly more).  £65m is not overpaying for a first choice England international centre back.  

They didn’t have FFP to contend with though. I’m not convinced by this one at all. Maybe I don’t watch enough football but before the Euros I hadn’t even heard of him. And in the Euros he didn’t stand out as anything special for me whatsoever. It does like he is now going to be coming here though so I will be delighted to be proven wrong.

9 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Some random Palace fan joined last night and said he’s world class I think 😂

I don't know about terms like world class, it's always a bit of a nonsense. But I think if Man City were signing him for £65m we wouldn't be surprised and we would probably say it's a good signing. 

Out of interest, when was the last time he played on the right side? With Kelly, Botman & Burn we're pretty well stocked with left sided central defenders which is a bit of an anomaly. 

Just now, Kanji said:

You’d be spending 50-60m on the same version of Botman we bought. Just look at the price of Yoro. 

Bad example my friend. YORO was only that price because Man United inflated the fee to stop Madrid. 

3 minutes ago, KDT said:

Out of interest, when was the last time he played on the right side? With Kelly, Botman & Burn we're pretty well stocked with left sided central defenders which is a bit of an anomaly. 

I don't know, it will be ages because of Anderson. But he's right footed so I don't see any reason he couldn't. It's probably more because Anderson's long passing would be less effective from the other side.

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

10 minutes ago, Wandy said:

They didn’t have FFP to contend with though. I’m not convinced by this one at all. Maybe I don’t watch enough football but before the Euros I hadn’t even heard of him. And in the Euros he didn’t stand out as anything special for me whatsoever. It does like he is now going to be coming here though so I will be delighted to be proven wrong.

Contrary to popular belief, every good footballer isn't only at the 'top 6' clubs.

Seemingly these are the only matches most people watch. And then they complain when these clubs throw their weight around like they are more important than everyone else!

This is a huge annoyance of mine. Football fans are just as culpable for these clubs and their fans being so insufferable.

Edited by KaKa

1 minute ago, KaKa said:

Contrary to popular belief, every good footballer isn't only at the 'top 6' clubs.

Seemingly these are the only matches most people watch. And then they complain when these clubs throw their weight around like they are more important than everyone else!

This is a huge annoyance of mine. Football fans are just as guilty of these clubs and their fans being so insufferable.

Like I say, maybe I don’t watch enough football. And Palace are definitely a club I avoid watching as they are an absolute nothing club on every level. And their home atmosphere is easily the most irritating in the league, which makes the TV experience insufferable, so if they are on the TV I definitely switch the channel. So yeah, it’s not that surprising that I don’t know much about Guehi. :lol: But I still have no recollection of his name being mentioned by anyone I know, before the Euros. I can’t help but get Stephane Guivarch vibes over this one, I’m afraid.