Marc Guehi

gdm

33 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

"I don't think the window worked out exactly the same format that we thought it would," Parish said. "Maybe we thought at the beginning it'd be more likely that Marc Guehi went and we kept Joachim Andersen.

"We accepted that bid [for Andersen] which then made it very difficult really to sell both of our starting centre-backs in one window.

"That's not to say it wasn't still an outside possibility that we got to the right number but then Chadi Riad got injured. That doesn't look quite as bad as it seems but it still left us very light and really made it impossible for us to consider at that point.”

"We're proud of the fact that Michael Olise's gone to Bayern Munich. “We want to be selling to the top clubs, or top clubs like Newcastle who've got great aspirations and have recently been in the Champions League.

"So we have to manage all of those things. We won't get really great young talent to come to us if they think they're going to be stuck.

"We want to be playing in the Champions League. The reality is we don't right now. That's what players want to achieve in their career and we respect that and we respect the fact that sometimes we're going to be a pathway to that."

[emoji38]

4 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Alex Crook (TalkSPORT) saying Guehi is in no rush to sign a new contract.

Ah ... so Parish has realised he just let £70 million slip.

Explains the quotes posted earlier. Making excuses for why Guehi couldn't join us, and likely hoping we come back in January.

Bet he thought he'd find it easy to get 'good guy' Guehi to sign an extension.

Now everyone will likely just wait till the summer when his value could be as low as £30 million even, if he has an ordinary season.

Blew the chance to get max value for him, and it's now dawning on him.

Would laugh my cock off if Guehi decided to just let his contract run down and go for big wages in under two years time and Palace got nothing, but a much reduced fee would be equally entertaining. Couldn't happen to a nicer cunt in Parish.

He’s done us a favour not selling him to us at the numbers being thrown around, I think next summer they will regret it more than us. The frustration on my part is that we didn’t get a CB, not that we didn’t get to pay stupid money for Guehi.

What he said there is pretty reasonable tbh.

14 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

That’s because Guehi’s team probably believe Parish should offer ‘superstar’ wages… 

20 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

No surprise whatsoever. 

The moment Parish went big on the "generational talent" stuff, he made Guehi's agent's job very straightforward. He'll want money befitting a generational talent and/or a favourable release clause or he'll be off somewhere else for half the amount we were willing to pay.

Edit- what he said 👆🏻

Edited by Keegans Export

Parish was entitled to hold out for what he wanted, tbf, even if it was way above what we deemed fair.

Playing it out in the media, however, is his mistake, not to mention his daft hair, which was also caught on camera. Fine if you just want more money, but not fine if you don't want to unsettle the player as well. 

Then again, if there's any truth in the Gordon to Liverpool for a wild swap thing, we've done quite a similar job ourselves. So, you know.

Schar is back soon anyway, so hopefully this thread vanishes till January at least.

4 minutes ago, Armchair Pundit said:

Would laugh my cock off if Guehi decided to just let his contract run down and go for big wages in under two years time and Palace got nothing, but a much reduced fee would be equally entertaining. Couldn't happen to a nicer cunt in Parish.

Sounds like that's exactly what he's going to do.

This is the other side of that calm, patient persona I imagine.

Won't be in a rush to sign an extension and with so much interest, will just wait.

All makes sense if he was really up for the move, as I imagine he and his team will be shocked at the figures turned down with just 2 years left to run on his current deal.

And so won't be eager to sign up for even longer, unless they can work out a much more reasonable release clause, that Parish likely won't go for, after turning down £70 million.

1 minute ago, Kid Icarus said:

In the end we were lucky that Parish for some insane reason turned down our equally insane bid. He'll be available for ~£50m come January and he'll probably go to Liverpool or something. 

I could see us going back in January for around that price, if we are in or around the top 4 I could still see him signing for us.

4 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Sounds like that's exactly what he's going to do.

This is the other side of that calm, patient persona I imagine.

Won't be in a rush to sign an extension and with so much interest, will just wait.

All makes sense if he was really up for the move, as I imagine he and his team will be shocked at the figures turned down with just 2 years left to run on his current deal.

And so won't be eager to sign up for even longer, unless they can work out a much more reasonable release clause, that Parish likely won't go for, after turning down £70 million.

I would have thought a lot worse of him if he'd agitated for a move or put in a transfer request. Whatever you think about the amounts we were prepared to have bid for him, I like his character, so it shows we're doing something right.

Edit - the ball is now indeed in his court as to what he wants to do next.

Edited by Abacus

2 minutes ago, Abacus said:

I would have thought a lot worse of him if he'd agitated for a move or put in a transfer request. Whatever you think about the amounts we were prepared to have bid for him, I like his character, so it shows we're doing something right.

I agree.

Handled it all very admirably.

And if he is unhappy about Parish pricing him out of the move, now is his chance to respond, in an equally calm manner, and wait for his contract to run down.

To use Parish's own words, none of the players want to feel 'stuck' after all.

42 minutes ago, Abacus said:

Disagree. He acted like somebody who's not arsed if he'll join Eddie's warriors, if anything I get the usual feeling he probably doesn't want to leave London. Sky gave him a perfect opportunity to force a move, he could've just said a couple of words that would've weakened Parish' stance if he was really motivated to play for Newcastle. I'm not talking forfeiting his loyalty bonus but you know tweet something, say a word, like every other departing player does these days. There's total player power in terms of transfers. In that interview he basically committed himself to Crystal Palace (ffs) while we had already made an offer well above of what his ability commands. He must realise he's not a £70mil player. If we had signed him for that, the pricetag and expectations alone would've crushed him. fuck that guy :lol:

Edited by junkhead

3 hours ago, The Prophet said:

"I don't think the window worked out exactly the same format that we thought it would," Parish said. "Maybe we thought at the beginning it'd be more likely that Marc Guehi went and we kept Joachim Andersen.

"We accepted that bid [for Andersen] which then made it very difficult really to sell both of our starting centre-backs in one window.

"That's not to say it wasn't still an outside possibility that we got to the right number but then Chadi Riad got injured. That doesn't look quite as bad as it seems but it still left us very light and really made it impossible for us to consider at that point.”

"We're proud of the fact that Michael Olise's gone to Bayern Munich. “We want to be selling to the top clubs, or top clubs like Newcastle who've got great aspirations and have recently been in the Champions League.

"So we have to manage all of those things. We won't get really great young talent to come to us if they think they're going to be stuck.

"We want to be playing in the Champions League. The reality is we don't right now. That's what players want to achieve in their career and we respect that and we respect the fact that sometimes we're going to be a pathway to that."

But I was told that it would've been a sideways move for Guehi?[emoji38]