Marc Guehi

gdm

16 hours ago, rebelrouser said:

I'm not convinced Guehi is definitely better than Schar so I think a center back that provides cover for Schar and Botman and even Tino would be fine in the short term.     

I love Schar, been great for us but he's 32. Additionally, the back line has one major flaw which is a lack of pace, needs to be addressed eventually (but not priority concern - RW, DM) 

Really like Murrillo from Forest as well, either would be great additions

14 minutes ago, Roids said:

I love Schar, been great for us but he's 32. Additionally, the back line has one major flaw which is a lack of pace, needs to be addressed eventually (but not priority concern - RW, DM) 

Really like Murrillo from Forest as well, either would be great additions

Chelsea must have a few spare defenders knocking about

1 hour ago, Roids said:

Max Kilman went for £40m

Archie Gray went for £30m from the Champioonship

Laughable to those suggesting his value is anything under £50m

Have you watched him mate? Maybe I'm just backing my own, but I'm not even sure he steps in over Dan Burn with how shaky his on ball defending is, and he certainly isn't stepping in over Fabian.

It's funny as in the past we've often 'bought the dip' and this seems very much a dip in his form, and Palace in general.

But we very much showed our hand in the summer, so wonder how negotiations would go if we went back in for him 

8 hours ago, Roids said:

Max Kilman went for £40m

Archie Gray went for £30m from the Champioonship

Laughable to those suggesting his value is anything under £50m

Neither of those have been value for money yet.

For those suggesting Guehi isn't a huge upgrade on our current defence are joking right? He hasn't had the best start to the season but neither have we - performance wise. 

38 minutes ago, Alberto2005 said:

We're 5 games into the season [emoji38]

But why use those players as a reference point when we don’t know if they’re good signings. Those clubs might have overspent, and in the case of Kilman they probably have IMO.

4 minutes ago, Kimbo said:

But why use those players as a reference point when we don’t know if they’re good signings. Those clubs might have overspent, and in the case of Kilman they probably have IMO.

Not sure why that matters, that's what their value was this summer.

Who do you actually get for less than 35m these days?

16 minutes ago, Alberto2005 said:

Not sure why that matters, that's what their value was this summer.

Who do you actually get for less than 35m these days?

Milenkovic was only £12m and Forest fans are raving about him. You can find value if you have good scouts and trust them.

14 minutes ago, Kimbo said:

Milenkovic was only £12m and Forest fans are raving about him. You can find value if you have good scouts and trust them.

He's European with no PL experience.

I'm not saying he's worse, but English players are worth more that's just the market whether you think it's silly or not.

17 hours ago, Kimbo said:

Neither of those have been value for money yet.

Makes no difference, the floor of players prices have been raised.

If you want quality additions to the squad at sub £30m, which can be done, the scouts have to do their work.

If you want an experienced England international, £50m would be the bare minimum

On 25/09/2024 at 14:13, Upthemags said:

Have you watched him mate? Maybe I'm just backing my own, but I'm not even sure he steps in over Dan Burn with how shaky his on ball defending is, and he certainly isn't stepping in over Fabian.

you can't be serious, he'd be an upgrade to Burn who I like but I'm more concerned with the age profile and lack of pace in that area

2 hours ago, gbandit said:

Maybe he’ll get a move to Liverpool at a cut price deal, maybe he won’t. Either way, Parish has lost out on a ton of cash for being a stupid wide boy twat

Man Utd and Liverpool linked in the press this morning.

13 hours ago, Nucasol said:

Man Utd and Liverpool linked in the press this morning.

They can have him would actually be dissapointed if we went back in for him now, completely overrated on back of the Euro’s so many flaws to his game.

He must have been rated before the Euros otherwise he wouldn't have been in the squad...

I'm torn between wanting us to go back for him. On one hand I want Parish to be fucked over but on the other hand I don't want to see him go to Liverpool for something daft like 8 million only for him to turn out to be a solid purchase. Difficult to judge players like him at clubs like Palace imo. There's little pressure on them to do anything other than be mid table also-rans.

Edited by Dr.Spaceman

17 minutes ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

He must have been rated before the Euros otherwise he wouldn't have been in the squad...

I'm torn between wanting us to go back for him. On one hand I want Parish to be fucked over but on the other hand I don't want to see him go to Liverpool for something daft like 8 million only for him to turn out to be a solid purchase. Difficult to judge players like him at clubs like Palace imo. There's little pressure on them to do anything other than be mid table also-rans.

The whole palace squad were flying heading into the Euros. They were in European qualification form Olise, Eze, Wharton, Guehi, Andersen Mateta. They were all in top form at the same time. 

The loss of Olise and Andersen has really affected their team. He is capable of playing at a top level. Its whether he can do it consistently is whether he is worth the price tag. 

Just now, aussiemag said:

The whole palace squad were flying heading into the Euros. They were in European qualification form Olise, Eze, Wharton, Guehi, Andersen Mateta. They were all in top form at the same time. 

The loss of Olise and Andersen has really affected their team. He is capable of playing at a top level. Its whether he can do it consistently is whether he is worth the price tag. 

Yep, can't be a good motivator seeing your club sell two of your better players and replace them with lesser players leaving some funds in the pot.

21 minutes ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

Yep, can't be a good motivator seeing your club sell two of your better players and replace them with lesser players leaving some funds in the pot.

Can’t be a good motivator when your Chairman dicks about with your career by very publicly trying to trade you like an overpriced second hand car but then doesn’t agree to a deal

If I was Guehi I’d be well pissed off with the way wideboy Parish gobbed off all over the media about our attempts to sign him

57 minutes ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

I think we were willing to seriously overpay to get him while the cartel clubs had other priorities. He looks a good player. Limited evidence he's great (which a 65m defender should be) but the potential is there. Liverpool had big success buying these types of player (for a high price) that have proven themselves in the Prem but are yet to hit their peak. If you look at their signings of Van Dijk, Mane etc etc, raiding other Premier League clubs.

I see two problems with our Guehi approach. One is we can't spend half what Liverpool do on fees and wages, so I don't think following their successful model is realistic. The second is that we were willing to (my opinion) seriously overpay to get him while we could before those cartel clubs come in. What's going to happen now is those clubs will come in and get him at a more realistic price, and he will of course go to them over us (higher wages, higher chance of trophies, better sponsorship deals etc). The only way we can close the enormous gap on those clubs is by scouting far and wide and basically doing a Brighton but with more cash and possibly more chance of keeping players. It's not sustainable to keep getting them all right though. The cartel clubs can afford to make expensive mistakes but we can't and that's why no one is able to challenge them. At least if we make signings like Botman, Bruno etc at roughly half the fee we were offering for Guehi, the potential damage if it goes wrong is greatly reduced.