Marc Guehi

gdm

Anyone get the feeling that our obsession with landing a “marquee” signing has totally DDT’d our transfer window through a flaming table?

We desperately need cover - that much is clear, if we are still chasing Guehi by Friday then I’ll be very very annoyed. 

8 minutes ago, Izakaya said:

Should have been in for todibo instead 

After the last few months with Brexit Jim don't think that would've been viable

Edited by Menace

3 minutes ago, BennyBlanco said:

Anyone get the feeling that our obsession with landing a “marquee” signing has totally DDT’d our transfer window through a flaming table?

We desperately need cover - that much is clear, if we are still chasing Guehi by Friday then I’ll be very very annoyed. 

Nah, not really.

2 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Nah, not really.

Agreed. They’ll have Plan A, B, C and probably more. This isn’t Fat Mike and Charners “we tried” shtick.

Edited by Nucasol

6 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

We are being opportunistic right, as usual ultimately everyone is stocked at centre half for now and I’m guessing this is what Palace are banking on. In 12 months time the market shifts maybe Liverpool need a CB maybe city do? Again, I don’t think the clause would be 75m I reckon around 60m. 

the goal of the clause wouldn’t be to keep him against his will, it would be to protect palace from the risk of losing him on the cheap and reward the player with a nice wage bump. 

Usually such situations arise because a player doesn’t want his club to take a haircut but wants to leave, everything seems to suggest he’s a good lad and a good pro so him doing this kind of thing makes sense to me. 

City have certainly got previous for paying over the odds for English internationals that's true. 

I'm not sure who else is paying 60m for a CB though. Due to PSR only a few teams can actually afford that kind of fee. Though to be fair they're probably the type of club he'd want to move to.  Just because they can afford the 60m though doesn't mean they'd pay it - there's probably better value elsewhere. 

1 minute ago, Cf said:

City have certainly got previous for paying over the odds for English internationals that's true. 

I'm not sure who else is paying 60m for a CB though. Due to PSR only a few teams can actually afford that kind of fee. Though to be fair they're probably the type of club he'd want to move to.  Just because they can afford the 60m though doesn't mean they'd pay it - there's probably better value elsewhere. 

Any of the sky 6 can pay 60m mind, we are uniquely fucked because our revenue is miles behind them. 

Im with you though, I do think he’s really expensive, but it’s extra expensive for us given our PSR us and Villa will have continue to have the biggest issues being compliant the others can just make ridiculous allowance, break the rules and not be investigated forever or sell hotels to themselves. 

9 minutes ago, BennyBlanco said:

Not sure exactly what you mean, but I think there's plenty of other factors that have messed it up ahead of that if it's messed up.

I pretty much refuse to judge it until the window's closed, personally.

I think we’ve got to hold our nerve on this one. The June PSR shenanigans can’t be repeated again, so would prefer not to overload ourselves financially when we could get a good pick up elsewhere for less cost. 

Personal preference would be more Botman, Bruno esque type deals. Good value from abroad for a player who could be eased into the side. Guehi would be ready to rumble but you’re paying a £20m premium. Good if you’re a Man City buying Kyle Walker and Stones pre-PSR, shit if you’re us skirting the upper limits of permissible losses.

10 minutes ago, Shadow Puppets said:

More quotes here (starting around the 4 min mark): 

It’s clearly just posturing. 

Agreed. Especially when he says something along the lines “if one is to leave then it’ll be him”. I still think this one gets done.

Edited by Maggies

25 minutes ago, BennyBlanco said:

Such a strange point of view

Why bother chasing your first choice if you can sign your 10th choice within a day

Edited by jack j

13 minutes ago, Shadow Puppets said:

More quotes here (starting around the 4 min mark): 

It’s clearly just posturing. 

He pretty much admits that he expects him to leave. :lol:

"That might be the one you see movement on".

Definitely just trying to get an extra couple of quid.

Just now, jack j said:

Such a strange point of view

Why bother chasing your first choice if you can seal your 10th choice within a day

Right? :lol:

I understand the willingness to stick two fingers up at Parish and move on but move on to what?

I'd be more annoyed at the club for signing a clearly worse player than I would at them for spending what it takes for their top target.

13 minutes ago, RodneyCisse said:

Move on, let them enjoy another season with aspirations of 10th.

Exactly. We’re finishing miles above Palace whether they give us Guehi or not. 

3 hours ago, r0cafella said:

Will pass on Chalobah like, he’s pretty average and would be a squad player at best. 

Chalobah is holding out for a move to Inter Milan who rate him highly.

A year or two from now I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if people are fawning over him like they are Guehi and Tomori.

Really funny how some people are so dismissive of him. 

Even Chelsea fans want him to stay because he showed he was their best defender last season.

1 minute ago, STM said:

Right? :lol:

I understand the willingness to stick two fingers up at Parish and move on but move on to what?

I'd be more annoyed at the club for signing a clearly worse player than I would at them for spending what it takes for their top target.

“Worse” is massively subjective though. There are clearly other RCB’s out there.

In the old days this is the part when the player would usually submit a transfer request, isn't it? Guessing their contract facilitates them being penalised if that happens these days, does it?

I think it'll be a bit bruising at this point if we don't get him because clearly he's been identified as the future of our backline. Clearly we're happy to pay more than a competitive price to secure that and I totally support the approach. It'll be a pity if it doesn't work out. 

1 minute ago, Shearergol said:

“Worse” is massively subjective though. There are clearly other RCB’s out there.

I've not seen anyone as good as Guehi mentioned. That's not to say you are wrong but when people say "let's go and sign Chalobah" it surprises me how quickly some are willing to downgrade.

By all means move on if we have someone like Schlotterbeck in our sights but we can't do is compromise in quality, otherwise it's a waste of time.

Just now, STM said:

By all means move on if we have someone like Schlotterbeck in our sights but we can't do is compromise in quality, otherwise it's a waste of time.

If you believe we've abandoned chasing our perfect RW in favour of chasing our perfect CB, I hope we flip-reverse it, should Guehi not sign. Take our chances with the backline and go and get the Raphinha. 

6 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Chalobah is holding out for a move to Inter Milan who rate him highly.

A year or two from now I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if people are fawning over him like they are Guehi and Tomori.

Really funny how some people are so dismissive of him. 

Even Chelsea fans want him to stay because he showed he was their best defender last season.

He’s one we have watched, evidently rated, for some time. I would be delighted to sign him especially if it enabled the option of another RW/RF/RM star. 

3 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

In the old days this is the part when the player would usually submit a transfer request, isn't it? Guessing their contract facilitates them being penalised if that happens these days, does it?

I think it'll be a bit bruising at this point if we don't get him because clearly he's been identified as the future of our backline. Clearly we're happy to pay more than a competitive price to secure that and I totally support the approach. It'll be a pity if it doesn't work out. 

Aye most players have a loyalty bonus, which basically means if they hand in a transfer request they lose x millions and presumably there is a little slice in there for the agent too.

It's probably not a bad inclusion, all things considered. Just working against us right now.

1 minute ago, Yorkie said:

If you believe we've abandoned chasing our perfect RW in favour of chasing our perfect CB, I hope we flip-reverse it, should Guehi not sign. Take our chances with the backline and go and get the Raphinha. 

This is something I can get on board with mind.