Marc Guehi

gdm

Unless it's for FFP reasons, I think we'll do what it takes to get him still. We're so close to who the club clearly view as the long term solution to the RCB position, I'd hope we push a bit more if we can. 

3 minutes ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

He’s one we have watched, evidently rated, for some time. I would be delighted to sign him especially if it enabled the option of another RW/RF/RM star. 

I read earlier in the summer he wasn't keen on moving up north and wants to join Inter Milan.

It's part of the reason Chelsea are annoyed with him and are treating him harshly. There has been interest from Prem clubs, but he apparently wants Inter.

Inter aren't offering what other clubs have though.

Parish stating...

“Everybody’s wishes have to be taken into account.”

“We all know the situation.”

“He wants to progress his career.”

With Mokbel reporting we're wanting to schedule another round of talks, there's clearly a compromise to be reached.

2 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Unless it's for FFP reasons, I think we'll do what it takes to get him still. We're so close to who the club clearly view as the long term solution to the RCB position, I'd hope we push a bit more if we can. 

Absolutely. 

He's not a generational talent like Parish suggested but he's the sort of signing that sends a message to future potential signings.

I don't want us to just make the sort of signings that West Ham or even Villa are doing.

We need to continue to show that we have ambitions above and beyond and missing out on top targets because of a couple of million doesn't do that.

On the other hand, if they decide it's too much, I will back them. They know what they are doing.

1 minute ago, STM said:

Absolutely. 

He's not a generational talent like Parish suggested but he's the sort of signing that sends a message to future potential signings.

I don't want us to just make the sort of signings that West Ham or even Villa are doing.

We need to continue to show that we have ambitions above and beyond and missing out on top targets because of a couple of million doesn't do that.

On the other hand, if they decide it's too much, I will back them. They know what they are doing.

Yeah. I know you don't want clubs to rip you off, but sometimes you have to go over what you want to pay to secure it. Didn't we go from something like £30-35m to £40-45m for Gordon? 

Just now, Optimistic Nut said:

Yeah. I know you don't want clubs to rip you off, but sometimes you have to go over what you want to pay to secure it. Didn't we go from something like £30-35m to £40-45m for Gordon? 

A good season with us and our fans wouldn't let him go for 80m too. 

I do think it goes to show what an amazing deal we got for Botman.

17 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

If you believe we've abandoned chasing our perfect RW in favour of chasing our perfect CB, I hope we flip-reverse it, should Guehi not sign. Take our chances with the backline and go and get the Raphinha. 

Doesn't want to come here and we cant pay the wages apparently.

6 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

@KaKayup long list of clubs in the q to sign him. :thup:

Aston Villa

Newcastle

Inter Milan

AC Milan

Crystal Palace

Fulham

West Ham

Manchester United

Have all been said to have shown some interest this summer to varying degrees.

Just now, KaKa said:

Aston Villa

Newcastle

Inter Milan

AC Milan

Crystal Palace

Fulham

West Ham

Manchester United

Have all been said to have shown some interest this summer to varying degrees.

This is all rumours of which most of them will be absolutely bullshit as you know. 

and to reiterate my original point, he doesn’t make sense unless your willing to commit to him as your first choice moving forward something which none of our rivals would. I know you rate a lot of players but you have to consider all of the factors when signing players and this would be a very expensive squad player. We are aiming to be competing in the champions league on a regular basis and for me he doesn’t hit the mark. 

Chelsea and Liverpool have just missed targets after talks, so there is no shame in the current state of play and "it looks bad/wasted energy" should not be a motivation to change our approach. This is also not an indication of poor target selection or poor negotiating skills.

I would also stress that what we are after is not Marc Guehi but a Marc Guehi who has been trained to play in our system. This may be superior to any Marc Guehi anyone has ever seen so far on a football pitch. We are paying for the player as is and for what our folks think is his potential as an NUFC player. Most people coming up with valuations are doing so on the value they've seen in Guehi so far as a Palace and England player.

16 minutes ago, STM said:

Absolutely. 

Agree with this.

Pep said in his press conference the other day that City have walked away from countless players as the selling club valued them too highly in £ terms.

The best of the best do it.

Pay everything that both selling clubs and players want in wages and you become a toxic Manchester United mess.

8 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

This is all rumours of which most of them will be absolutely bullshit as you know. 

and to reiterate my original point, he doesn’t make sense unless your willing to commit to him as your first choice moving forward something which none of our rivals would. I know you rate a lot of players but you have to consider all of the factors when signing players and this would be a very expensive squad player. We are aiming to be competing in the champions league on a regular basis and for me he doesn’t hit the mark. 

Chalobah would maybe only be a squad player for a year then he'd be our starting right centre half. 

He's obviously a good player with the interest shown in him. 

Just now, andycap said:

Chalobah would maybe only be a squad player for a year then he'd be our starting right centre half. 

He's obviously a good player with the interest shown in him. 

You believe he’s good enough to be our starting centre half with the ambitions we have? Fair play if so. 

5 minutes ago, JP said:

Agree with this.

Pep said in his press conference the other day that City have walked away from countless players as the selling club valued them too highly in £ terms.

The best of the best do it.

Pay everything that both selling clubs and players want in wages and you become a toxic Manchester United mess.

Cucurella was one of them players he was talking about. 

Edited by andycap

1 minute ago, r0cafella said:

You believe he’s good enough to be our starting centre half with the ambitions we have? Fair play if so. 

Yeah i do lad why not? 

He'll improve with our coaching. 

4 minutes ago, JP said:

But bring in a transfer structure and negotiate with clubs, and your offers are seen as derisory and you're a toxic Manchester United mess. ;)

8 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

I think the Guehi hype has clouded some judgment in here - yours included. Guehi had a nice tournament, but at this stage in their careers, its unclear who would be a more successful long term solution at CB. Chalobah is just a year older than Guehi, and arguably had a better season in more limited playing time than Guehi. All of which is evidenced by Chelsea fans' reluctance to let him go/frustration at his mistreatment at the club.

Just now, r0cafella said:

He was good enough to start for Chelsea last season when fit and they finished above us, they only lost once when he started after returning from injury.

What we should be aiming for is at least 2 players in each position who are good enough to start for us if needed, so we can buy another RCB next summer presuming Schar isn’t going to carry on forever.

Just now, andycap said:

Yeah i do lad why not? 

He'll improve with our coaching. 

Fair enough, yes he will improve from average to good. 

I want Eddie spending time coaching players from good to excellent though. 

As mentioned, if I’m holding us to our stated ambitions we need to aim higher than Chelsea’s fourth choice right centre back. 

10 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

Just rumours. Okay. Well we'll see where he ends up and how he does.

Seems to me players with hype behind them are the ones that are always highly rated and deemed good enough for competing in the champions league.

I'm not convinced you've really paid much attention to Chalobah when he's played.

This is how clubs like Palace end up with Guehi in the first place and then trying to get these players later on is a big palava.