Marc Guehi

gdm

9 hours ago, Toonjam88 said:

This fucker is a major smug C*nt I wouldn’t listen to a word he says 

I believe he was City’s financial officer a few years back……he kind of knows what he is talking about, Stefan Borson, often in cahoots with Kieran Maguire.

In any case, he may be off by the odd million, but the gist of what he said is unfortunately true. People who think we can spend big simply because the 2021/22 70m loss has fallen off our 3 year period and we've we've got some money in for Minteh and Andersen are sadly mistaken due to the rise of our cost levels. The guy says we will "only" need a 17m profit from player trading this year. Let that sink in people.

1 minute ago, Unbelievable said:

In any case, he may be off by the odd million, but the gist of what he said is unfortunately true. People who think we can spend big simply because the 2021/22 70m loss has fallen off our 3 year period and we've we've got some money in for Minteh and Andersen are sadly mistaken due to the rise of our cost levels. The guy says we will "only" need a 17m profit from player trading this year. Let that sink in people.

Even if his numbers are off the point still stands as you’ve mentioned. Some of us having being banging this drum and questioning how we will compete with such a revenue deficit to the “big 6” and unless the rules are changed it’s going to be an uphill struggle. 

At some point we will have to sell Isak, Gordon or Bruno before contracts start coming to their end and the value drops. It's unfortunate but it's just the nature of the beast. I am not defending it, it's way too heavily geared towards protecting the top 6 rather than what was sold to us to prevent clubs putting themselves in debt to keep up, but it's going to hurt. I am glad the club has managed to get it so we can have another season with these players, but ultimately some will get sold, but it's alright the club has ambition we're not going to do the whole replacing Cabaye with Colback of the old regime, new exciting players will come in. 

1 minute ago, r0cafella said:

Even if his numbers are off the point still stands as you’ve mentioned. Some of us having being banging this drum and questioning how we will compete with such a revenue deficit to the “big 6” and unless the rules are changed it’s going to be an uphill struggle. 

Unfortunately it's going to take time, unless the rules get amended sooner, we will get there eventually but we unfortunately just have to be smarter rather than competing on spending with them.

5 minutes ago, Unbelievable said:

He doesn't say that mind

Just now, r0cafella said:

The only way we can compete is by continuing to grow our revenue (sponsorships, SJP extension/new stadium, etc.), invest massively in areas exempt from FFP/PSR (training facilities, youth academy, NUFC women, etc.) and by getting every player incoming or outgoing right. I don't mind Guehi particularly, but I don't think he's a good acquisition at the fees mentioned. His stock is as high as it's ever been after a Euros in which he's been hyped by the UK press. I think there are better deals to be had. We're a few years off being able to afford deals like this without selling other star players. I wouldn't want to lose Isak, Gordon or Bruno to fund Guehi, because I don't think that makes our team better overall.

2 minutes ago, Tiresias said:

Unfortunately it's going to take time, unless the rules get amended sooner, we will get there eventually but we unfortunately just have to be smarter rather than competing on spending with them.

I do like the optimism but it always feels misplaced to me when looking at the situation objectively. In order to catch the other clubs we have to grow faster than them and I just don’t see how we can that if our owners are not allowed to invest. In fact I’m lying we have one avenue left and that’s to trade players aggressively but understandably the thought of selling our best players is deeply unpopular. 

2 minutes ago, Unbelievable said:

The only way we can compete is by continuing to grow our revenue (sponsorships, SJP extension/new stadium, etc.), invest massively in areas exempt from FFP/PSR (training facilities, youth academy, NUFC women, etc.) and by getting every player incoming or outgoing right. I don't mind Guehi particularly, but I don't think he's a good acquisition at the fees mentioned. His stock is as high as it's ever been after a Euros in which he's been hyped by the UK press. I think there are better deals to be had. We're a few years off being able to afford deals like this without selling other star players. I wouldn't want to lose Isak, Gordon or Bruno to fund Guehi, because I don't think that makes our team better overall.

Aye absolutely im one of those who are favour of a new stadium to increase revenues and make the ground more multi purpose. Problem is, we actually no indication that our owners are willing to pony up a b to accommodate this even if the fans wanted it. 

As far as I’m concerned the nature of the investment is still a question mark but once we know firm plans for the training ground and stadium we will then be able to make more accurate assumptions. 

2 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

He doesn't say that mind

What do you think "increase profit requirement" means..? Spend 65m on Guehi and we'd "only" need to turn a 82m profit over the PSR year is what.

Just now, Unbelievable said:

What do you think "increase profit requirement" means..? Spend 65m on Guehi and we'd "only" need to turn a 82m profit over the PSR year is what.

Increase profit requirements with sponsorship/commercial deals which haven't been announced yet, but the likes of you and others like to only paint a portion of the picture when nobody knows exactly what is happening . I'll trust the owners and the accountants on what happens thank you

If money is tight, which I think it is, I'd rather we spend the majority of it on RW than CB. We can depend on Schar for another year, we've brought in Kelly and we've got Botman due back in a few months, so I'd prefer us to bring in an understudy for Schar rather than a direct replacement if it means we can then spend more on actual quality in the RW position. 

6 minutes ago, Unbelievable said:

Agreed.

We won't have to sell until next June though (if we do need to sell). I'm with you, I think we need to sign the "next" guys. Take a chance on wonderkids. Riskier transfers like Bruno & Isak. Even Gordon we bet on potential. I don't see how Guehi value could get much higher.

Spurs got to the top by buying and selling the likes of Modric, Bale, Berbatov, Walker, Eriksen etc. Some big fees and reputations but nothing like this Guehi move in terms of fee or wages.

I'm hoping we have a revenue hack otw. Because I don't get how this approach reconciles with our FFP position. 

5 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

Increase profit requirements with sponsorship/commercial deals which haven't been announced yet, but the likes of you and others like to only paint a portion of the picture when nobody knows exactly what is happening . I'll trust the owners and the accountants on what happens thank you

Your first point is true, but people only deal with the information we know. And what we know doesn't sound great. Nobody is acting like they are 100% on the money with FFP.

The bolded - again based on what we know. They may leave us needing A LOT of money come next June because that's what they did last summer. If we needed to generate £60m of sales, how would we do it again?

I don't think the club would put us in quite the same position again without a better plan. But they might!

2 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

Of course you can increase revenue by other ways than player trading, I never argued any differently. However, even if we have a few good sponsorship deals just waiting to be ratified, the income will be spread over the duration of the sponsorship deal, so forgive me for thinking it unrealistic that we are somehow getting in another 50m in commercial revenue for 2025  on top of the assumption already in that calculation (rising from 75m to 90m, or 20% which I think is broadly in line with the club's ambition).

I don't doubt the knowledge and capabilities of the people in charge of this club; I do doubt the ability of a lot of fans to understand what they are actually saying in their rare interviews if people think that we're going to spend big on Guehi and a right winger without having to sell one of our star players later this year.

1 minute ago, The College Dropout said:

Your first point is true, but people only deal with the information we know. And what we know doesn't sound great. Nobody is acting like they are 100% on the money with FFP.

The bolded - again based on what we know. They may leave us needing A LOT of money come next June because that's what they did last summer. If we needed to generate £60m of sales, how would we do it again?

I don't think the club would put us in quite the same position again without a better plan. But they might!

Probably best to try and park your/our second guessing and lay accountancy. We will just wait and see how they proceed. 

27 minutes ago, Unbelievable said:

Oh good. This again. In the Guehi thread.

27 minutes ago, Unbelievable said:

Doug Collins Let That Sink In GIF by GIPHY News

Just now, The College Dropout said:

Again I trust them before someone on the internet who hasn't a clue what the plans are and what is actually happening. I'll wait until the picture is clearer probably at the start of next month

1 minute ago, Dr Venkman said:

Oh good. This again. In the Guehi thread.

You don't think what we can spend this year is relevant in a thread where we're discussing potentially smashing our transfer record on a centre back is relevant..?

8 minutes ago, Unbelievable said:

Of course you can increase revenue by other ways than player trading, I never argued any differently. However, even if we have a few good sponsorship deals just waiting to be ratified, the income will be spread over the duration of the sponsorship deal, so forgive me for thinking it unrealistic that we are somehow getting in another 50m in commercial revenue for 2025  on top of the assumption already in that calculation (rising from 75m to 90m, or 20% which I think is broadly in line with the club's ambition).

I don't doubt the knowledge and capabilities of the people in charge of this club; I do doubt the ability of a lot of fans to understand what they are actually saying in their rare interviews if people think that we're going to spend big on Guehi and a right winger without having to sell one of our star players later this year.

I don't know what is going to happen and neither do you and that's my point. I'll wait until announcements on commercial/sponsorship deals are made (probably delayed due to the City case) and the transfer window is over, to be able to see a clearer picture of what is happening.

Edited by et tu brute

If we assume the story regarding Guehi is broadly accurate in terms of fees etc, we either;

1. Know that we can pick up the RW we want for less money than the £50-60m we seemed to have aside for Olise or on a loan-with-obligation deal

2. Know/believe we can sell Almiron for a decent enough wedge to gain us some breathing room even if we spend relatively big money on Guehi (or whoever else at CB)

3. Have prioritised the CB signing over RW due to either top targets being unavailable or faith in Almiron/Murphy

4. Have a lot more money to spend than we (and the Twitter experts) believe

I have my doubts about 4. and I wouldn't be happy with 3. but the other two could lead to an outcome where buying Guehi and a RW doesn't automatically put us in a position of having to sell a "purple" ahead of June 30th.