Players that were actually decent for us that are totally forgotten

gjohnson

IIRC, back in the day there was this French lad that every now and then put on some Maradona-esque shows. Left the club after our manager at the time, @Alan Pardew, decided that type of showboating belonged at the likes of Hull City - not Newcastle United.

1 hour ago, LionOfGosforth said:

Mark McGhee. He was the lesser light of that front two with Quinn but had real skill and scored some fantastic goals. Have a bit of a soft spot for that 89/90 team after the shite of the prior season's relegation.

Will always be remembered as the answer to a famous quiz question though......

.....'Who was the only player to play for nufc in the 70's 80's and 90's ?'

49 minutes ago, Elliottman said:

I think a few people are ignoring the ‘totally forgotten’ part of the question. Some of these suggestions are players that are well known from the last 10-15 years. 

In most of ours defence, I've tried my absolute hardest to forget the last 10-15 years of NUFC. 

Stephen Glass was canny and now he's the manager of my local USL team Memphis 901 FC, kind of cool. Chatted with him a bit and he's a lovely guy too.

32 minutes ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

I know he was at the end of his career/in his thirties, but I really liked Roy Aitken. 

Sorry, but genuinely surprised at this. I thought he was terrible.

Thinking about it, 95% of our games that I saw in that era were away from home. Maybe he was different at St James's. 

Edited by Cronky

This is a worry. People are citing players from the last 10 years that I've forgotten, but I can remember everyone from the 70s and 80's.

One day, this will happen to you guys too.

5 minutes ago, mosstef said:

Paul Kitson.

For a young player he did a good job as our main striker after we sold Andy Cole.

Spawned one of the better back page headlines i've seen in Mirror Sport when he initially turned us down over wages "It's Paul Twitson"

1 minute ago, 54 said:

Oh and Debuchy was the best RB in a generation for us before Tripps came along.

Had a slow first half season when he first came but was immense his only full season.

I liked Domi, Beye was quality for the season he was here  Duncan Ferguson really surprised me, I never realised how good he was until he was here. Loic Remy was also very good here 

58 minutes ago, Thumbheed said:

Oba Martins, Rondon, Viduka and N'Zogbia come to mind. 

First 3 were key players for us in that era and never really get talked about, the latter was just never allowed to shine but was clearly excellent. 

Also rated Marveaux tbh, definitely thought there was a top player in there although never really got chance to show it.

Viduka [emoji38] Was absolutely dreadful until that 7 game purple patch under Keegan. Then never played regularly again.