Edmond Tapsoba

Yorkie

2 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

English tax is always more though, not that I think we will get him.

“Don’t want to sell our most important player, especially this late in the window” tax is just as high though.

10 minutes ago, Erikse said:

So to everyones surprise we get him for £50m, and 2 weeks later he will be banned for a year due to gambling.

I thought it was said there's a €95-100m release clause. Why does anyone think it will cost £50m?

7 minutes ago, Pablo said:

I’ll be flabbergasted if we sign him. The recruitment strategy appears wrong, we need to buy these players before they are borderline elite. I’m surprised we aren’t shopping in a similar market to Bournmouth or Brighton, with perhaps 1 big signing per year.

That said I’d be delighted if we did pull it off, he’s a real talent.

Bournemouth and Brighton aren’t genuinely pushing to get into the top 4.

When the top of your realistic aim is the minor European places, you can take a bit of a punt with almost exclusively shopping in those markets, but if you genuinely want to regularly compete with the top teams, you have to buy proven quality occasionally.

Edited by SteV

4 minutes ago, McCormick said:

“Don’t want to sell our most important player, especially this late in the window” tax is just as high though.

Like I say I don’t think we get him, genuinely surprised at how poor our window has been so far tbh. Leaving it this late is never a good look. 

Exciting rumour.  If I wanted to be I could actually be an ITK on this on as I teach the son of someone very high up at Leverkusen. I'm not currently as it was our first day back at school today and I likely won't be as it would be pretty unprofessional to press for details but if something falls in my lap and is relevant I'll pass it on here.

11 minutes ago, Pablo said:

I’ll be flabbergasted if we sign him. The recruitment strategy appears wrong, we need to buy these players before they are borderline elite. I’m surprised we aren’t shopping in a similar market to Bournmouth or Brighton, with perhaps 1 big signing per year.

That said I’d be delighted if we did pull it off, he’s a real talent.

Would be lovely to buy some players with the benefit of hindsight. The fact that we are taking the guesswork out of it and trying for borderline elite/ established players should be lauded as a sign of our ambition.

Bournemouth’s highest ever PL finish was 9th so it’s not that amazing a model to follow. Us and Villa have shown that buying the right established players (and hiring the right coach) can get you Champions League. 

Edited by McCormick

Just now, McCormick said:

Would be lovely to buy some players with the benefit of hindsight. The fact that we are taking the guesswork out of it and trying for borderline elite/ established players should be lauded as a sign of our ambition.

Bournemouth’s highest ever PL finish was 9th so it’s not that anazing a model to follow. Us and Villa have shown that buying the right established players (and hiring the right coach) can get you Champions League. 

Not unique to Brighton - elite clubs have elite youth, and are constantly restocking their reserves. Villa this summer window have brought in several "bargain" options of unproven youth talent, as well.

2 minutes ago, Upthemags said:

Not unique to Brighton - elite clubs have elite youth, and are constantly restocking their reserves. Villa this summer window have brought in several "bargain" options of unproven youth talent, as well.

The big teams make big ticket signings for the most part. We’re also investing in youth but we’re talking about transfers for the first team right now.

Just now, SUPERTOON said:

Wonder if Leverkusen being in for Van der Berg makes this one any more likely.

Selling Tah to Bayern arent they? Been going on all summer.

4 minutes ago, Upthemags said:

Have a quick gander in the u23’s thread, we have been doing the same since the ownership changed. We have even done it at centre half this summer with the Serbian lad, not to mention Alex Murphy, Cathal Hefferan and Charlie McCartthur all signed fairly recently. These things take time to seed and deliver though

Just now, SUPERTOON said:

Pretty sure that deal fell apart although I may be wrong.

Yeah I have no clue what is going on there. Just saw plenty of Tah to Bayern earlier in the summer.

4 minutes ago, Ghandis Flip-Flop said:

Have a quick gander in the u23’s thread, we have been doing the same since the ownership changed. We have even done it at centre half this summer with the Serbian lad, not to mention Alex Murphy, Cathal Hefferan and Charlie McCartthur all signed fairly recently. These things take time to seed and deliver though

We buy youth yea - but I mean more Tino, Hall, Gordon levels youth. Prospects with some pedigree that cost a decent amount, but with potential to double, triple, quadruple in value, etc.

Pivas doesn't really fit that bill.

You mean like Minteh did last year? The truth is we don’t know how things are going to go in that regard yet. I’d argue that even raising the floor of where the majority of our Academy graduates end up from Northern Premier League to League One or Championship will see it starting to generate the club income. Rome wasn’t built in a day and all that

26 minutes ago, Geordie_once_removed said:

Exciting rumour.  If I wanted to be I could actually be an ITK on this on as I teach the son of someone very high up at Leverkusen. I'm not currently as it was our first day back at school today and I likely won't be as it would be pretty unprofessional to press for details but if something falls in my lap and is relevant I'll pass it on here.

This is good, not only do you know him, you have leverage over this boy.

11 minutes ago, Ghandis Flip-Flop said:

You mean like Minteh did last year? The truth is we don’t know how things are going to go in that regard yet. I’d argue that even raising the floor of where the majority of our Academy graduates end up from Northern Premier League to League One or Championship will see it starting to generate the club income. Rome wasn’t built in a day and all that

Not really sure what you mean by this since we do know for a certainty we haven't purchased any Mintehs or Tinos this summer

Jesus this place is full of people who just like to be contrarian and want to argue. If you’re telling me anyone at the club knew we were going to be in a position to sell Minteh for over £30m last summer, ask them to tell you the lottery numbers.

The point I was making is we have signed a lot of kids for the academy at various age points with differing levels of experience, I’m sure some at the club have hopes that some may make it to the first team and others will develop enough to make the club a tidy profit. Which is exactly what the likes of Brighton do. They’re just further along in the process and have a more defined process for getting that talent into their first team or into high profile loans elsewhere.

I believe this is something Newcastle want to improve dramatically and the appointment of Mitchell will hopefully be an important stepping stone on the way to that becoming a reality

Edited by Ghandis Flip-Flop