AFC Bournemouth 1-1 Newcastle United (25/08/24)

BlueStar

After 60 minutes, I'd have definitely settled for a draw. Hall's arrival seemed to transform the team.

I was surprised that the Bournemouth goal was ruled out. It didn't look to me like a 'clear and obvious' error on the part of the ref.

Similarly, I thought VAR was going to call the ref to the monitor to check Joelinton's foul on the keeper. It should have been a red. 

Edited by Cronky

Threw my headphones off as soon as they scored what I thought was the winner, and was ready to rage about how we always get on the receiving end of a last minute winner. Which is still true, we never seem to get the winner (West Ham at home is the only one I can think of). 

Sounded like we were loads better with Barnes and Gordon on, facilitated by Trippier as well. For me, that needs to be the team going forward if we're not getting a RW in

Weird one that. We were shite for all but 15 minutes of the game but could have won it in that time as their keeper made some unbelievable saves, and then got a break with the VAR call at the end. Then again, VAR fucked us last week so swings and roundabouts.

Very satisfied with a point considering we rarely seem to beat this lot & how muddled we looked for the vast duration.

Eddie needs to try and get that 15 minute period we put together into a longer performance. The subs all made a positive difference, particularly Barnes who was terrific.

This might be a stretch but in the end they were a tad lucky, if you take the VAR incident out of the equation. Their keeper made 3 finger tip saves, two of them we should have scored with.

All in all i would say a point was a fair result, much better second half, Tripps, Barnes and Willock made a massive difference. And Gordon came alive on the right with Tripps behind him.

Just now, Alberto2005 said:

Because he hasn't played any competitive matches? [emoji38]

I thought it was fairly obvious I was being facetious, but apparently it wasn't. 

In all seriousness though, we've no idea what shape he'll be in until he gets on the pitch midweek. I'm optimistically hoping he hits the ground running because of how eager he'll be to be part of it all again. 

2 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

Something isn’t right mind, we look like such an average side. 

Until we develop the level of quality and consistency across the back 4 that we had two seasons ago then I am afraid performances like this will be occurring a few times this season.

Missing a fully fit and ready Botman, Schar, etc. 

Edited by Amir_9

Thought we were shite for middle 60 minutes of the game.

I thought Eddie got his subs spot on today.

For me if Joe willock is fully fit he must be ahead of longstaff in the pecking order. 

4 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Yep, I still think Trippier is comfortably our best RB

Both Tino and Kelly had to play in front of a crap midfield that invited pressure due to Longstaff and Murphy.

Trippier and Hall had the luxury of coming on with a better functioning team further up the pitch, with Barnes and Willock coming on.

Very different circumstances.

2 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

We did when we finished 4th many games early on. 

Judge us after Everton away.

1 minute ago, Bally21 said:

Thought we were shite for middle 60 minutes of the game.

I thought Eddie got his subs spot on today.

For me if Joe willock is fully fit he must be ahead of longstaff in the pecking order. 

Spot on, but too late.

About as much as can expect down there. Its the new Wimbledon for us (or Southampton at the Dell). You know a point and a shit game is the maximum.

Have no hope of improving on last season without changes in the next few days though

Edited by Jonas

1 minute ago, Amir_9 said:

Until we develop the level of quality and consistency across the back 4 that we had two seasons ago then I am afraid performances like this will be occurring a few times this season.

Missing a fully fit and ready Botman, Schar, etc. 

We started with a bottom-half back four - and it showed; it weakens the team.  Desperately need a new centre half, and to get everyone fit and back from suspension. 

Terrible for 60 minutes, but could well have won it. 

Subs changed the game for us, all 4 made a good impact. 

Need to play a lot better than that in future though.

I can’t stress enough that there isn’t a single price id take for trippier at this point. He is still the best right back we have. 

4 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

Shaky at the back. Bournemouth looked like scoring with every attack. Really hoping we can get a solid right-sided centre half this week.

Never a red for Joe, anywhere else on the pitch a pull back is a yellow. No difference just because it’s the keeper. 

1 minute ago, KaKa said:

Both Tino and Kelly had to play in front of a crap midfield that invited pressure due to Longstaff and Murphy.

Trippier and Hall had the luxury of coming on with a better functioning team further up the pitch, with Barnes and Willock coming on.

Very different circumstances.

I still think Livramento is very raw tbh - the lad has talent, but I honestly don’t think he’s looked at the level either second half of last season or so far this one.  Doesn’t mean he won’t be, but our back line looks weaker with him than with Trippier atm for me

Could easily have lost that right at the end there but don't forget about all of the chances at the other end too. Neto pulled off a few really good, point blank saves that kept them in it too. We didn't play well at all but we're still unbeaten and can only get better from here, it's not all doom and gloom.