Newcastle United vs. Tottenham Hotspur: 01/09/24 @ 13:30 (Sky Sports)

HaydnNUFC

Don't think Krafth should be dropped. For all we haven't been great in possession for large swathes of the last two matches, we've been pretty solid in the backline. 

Can't wait for the game to get here tbh. 

Just now, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Not sure about Tino LB but I’d like to see Kelly given a go at CB. 

Think Tino has played his best football for us at LB tbh. Yeah Kelly over Krafth is a no brainier for me. Will help our build up more.

1 hour ago, leffe186 said:

Two years ago was just a joke - we had completely given up and the first half was arguably the worst performance any Premier League team has ever given anywhere ever :lol:. Last year was more telling. Your set-up is like Kryptonite for us if we’re not on it. That’s why missing all three of our centre-forwards is so irritating - they’re so important to how we play. 

Bottom line, we’re actually quite good but a couple of players short. You’re quite good but a couple of players short. We’re high-risk and your game is a perfect counter to ours so it could be any result at all really :lol:. It’s hard to tell a lot about how either of us are playing based on the first couple of games.

I haven’t been to a proper away game in a while but the only thing I really dislike about St James’ Park is the away fans being hidden up in the rafters.

I agree that any result is possible. It's a new season. Just feel somewhat calm knowing what happened the last 2 times. And I know that you don't literally hate our stadium. ;)

Edited by Erikse

4 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Don't think Krafth should be dropped. For all we haven't been great in possession for large swathes of the last two matches, we've been pretty solid in the backline. 

Just think him and Burn being so poor on the ball has been one of the reasons we have played poorly. Kelly would help with that and add some much needed pace.

3 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Just think him and Burn being so poor on the ball has been one of the reasons we have played poorly. Kelly would help with that and add some much needed pace.

Agree entirely, but am hopeful the home advantage might pick us up a bit. The receivers in midfield and attack have been off it too; Isak and Joelinton in particular on Wednesday. 

Just now, RodneyCisse said:

We miss out massively without a ball playing CB like Schar to push us along. Meaning Isak is having to drop in without outlet.

Eddie isn’t dropping Burn and Kelly as far as we’re told can’t play RCB.

Well Schar will be back very soon. 

I'm hoping we go a bit more direct for this one, similar to last season.

Even without Solanke, they have lot of quality up to and we can't be playing risky passes in our own half. They'll try and overload our defensive third which should leave plenty of space in behind for Isak and Gordon.

2-2.

1 hour ago, RS said:

I’m not feeling this one. Gut feel

is our defensive frailties are exposed this time 0-2. Hope I’m wrong. 

Aren’t they without any strikers? May help negate our defensive frailties. We go fast, we go hard, we win (crowd better be up for this). 

Just now, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Yeah but they always have Son.

Still as good as he is, no other strikers is a plus for us. Spurs will hardly be coming here confident. Hopefully the crowd can get under their skin. They need to be up for it and not pissy about lack of signings [emoji38]

Not very hopeful for this one. Our performances haven't been convincing so far, against what you could describe as lesser opponents. Hopefully Eddie has managed to focussed the players.

All that aside, I'm just not really sure what the crowd will be like given all of the crap that has come about around the window. I'm not in Newcastle so I don't know what the feel is around the city?

1 minute ago, Weezertron said:

Not very hopeful for this one. Our performances haven't been convincing so far, against what you could describe as lesser opponents. Hopefully Eddie has managed to focussed the players.

All that aside, I'm just not really sure what the crowd will be like given all of the crap that has come about around the window. I'm not in Newcastle so I don't know what the feel is around the city?

Most of the time, for better or worse, the crowd doesn't reflect the feeling that circulates online. I'd expect nothing less than 100% backing for those on the pitch. 

I'm really deflated/flat about this season after that window but will do nothing but back the lads on the pitch inside SJP tomorrow*. Anyone in the ground who doesn't is an arse.

*might be difficult in the Platty Clerb but will still give it a try :lol:

Edited by HaydnNUFC

2 hours ago, Yorkie said:

Don't think we've looked particularly solid personally, the goals we've conceded against Forest and Bournemouth were pretty awful. Can't imagine what better front lines would do to us.

3 hours ago, Yorkie said:

Krafth obviously has his limitations but I think he's been fine for the most part in the last couple of games. I do think Schar's return will make a big difference though. 

4 minutes ago, Parsley said:

Krafth obviously has his limitations but I think he's been fine for the most part in the last couple of games. I do think Schar's return will make a big difference though. 

Krafu’s been pretty solid (better RCB than RB) The period after his CL recovery he was not as good but that can be expected after that type of injury. Schär back and it’s not looking too bad again.

21 minutes ago, PauloGeordio said:

Krafu’s been pretty solid (better RCB than RB) The period after his CL recovery he was not as good but that can be expected after that type of injury. Schär back and it’s not looking too bad again.

He's like Dummett, not really a great footballer, but he can defend. Even when Krafth was getting pelters I always maintained that, but like Dummett, he's awful on the ball. I think it gets amplified when you've got three or four others who are in the same boat, which ends up in us giving the ball away a lot when we come under the press.