Newcastle United 2-1 Tottenham Hotspur (01/09/24) | Reaction: pg 48 | Goal posts: OP

Yorkie

Ultimately we’re not playing well but it’s about results and 7 points from 3 and through in the cup. Got to say well

done and use the break to work on the issues. Schar is a massive miss on transitions and bringing the ball out of defence. Without him and Trippier you can see Pope is all the sea with who to give it to. 

7 points from a possible 9, with the red card first game and our overall level of performance is incredible really. International break come at a good time for us.

Edited by samptime29

Thank fuck. Incredibly lucky papering over the cracks result. Not a good performance and not a good feel about us at the moment.

Hopefully the result, us being on a run, and the international break gives us some time and space to regroup, get players back, and find who we are again. 

Pope: 8.5

Livramento: 7

Krafth: 7.5

Burn: 4.5[/] 6.5 (generally solid but had some bad moments)

Kelly: 6

Bruno: 7

Joelinton: 6.5

Longstaff: 7 Tonali: 7

Gordon: 5 - seriously needs to get out of this sulk he's in

Isak: 6.5

Barnes: 7.5

Edited by Kid Icarus

Always love winning when not playing at our best. With a recognised striker Spurs at least get a draw today if not more.

Ball retention was very concerning today but much needed break to regroup and winnable game next.

1 minute ago, Yorkie said:

Honestly, the character of this team.

And thank God for that bunch of wet wipes Spurs. Fancy not getting the job done when we were rattled. Endlessly powderpuff under that melt in the dugout.

I can’t see Postecoglu lasting long tbh.  He’s made Spurs even more Spurs-y than usual

I think it was a deserved win. While spurs is a better team on paper, and they played better, the way they are set up is just really easy to counter. If we play this match 10 times I'd like to believe we would win most of them.

While Ange is really likable, Howe is just a better manager.

Just now, Kid Icarus said:

Not a good performance and not a good feel about us at the moment.

Nowt three wins out of four can't go some way to curing. 

It was critical that we came out of today having not fueled the bubbling toxicity. The lads made sure of it. 

Fucking GET IN. 

Just now, Kid Icarus said:

Thank fuck. Incredibly lucky papering over the cracks result. Not a good performance and not a good feel about us at the moment.

Hopefully the result, us being on a run, and the international break gives us some time and space to regroup, get players back, and find who we are again. 

Burn: 4.5 (generally solid but had some bad moments)

Incredibly harsh on BDB for me - thought he was better than Bruno, Longstaff, Isak in terms of performance - and Pope was as much at fault for the goal 

1 minute ago, Kid Icarus said:

Burn: 4.5 (generally solid but had some bad moments)

Harsh on Burn, I thought he was good except for own goal and once again.

Agree on Gordon's low score

Including the cup game, in each one of our games we've looked:

Very good in spells

God awful in spells

Showed amazing character

I've always been told by cunts like Roy Keane that good sides can play poorly and win games, so I'd be interested to know if that applies to us.

We are absolutely know where near our best but all of the pitch we have players battling for their positions for a change.

A really good start results wise. If Eddie can get some extra fitness work in their legs and remind them of how good they can be on the ball then we can absolutely compete with Spurs and Co for Europe.....

... and yes, had we signed a couple it would have helped. :razz:

Seems to be a strategy for now - first 20 mins and last 20 mins, then hold on for dear life in the middle. I guess that's the energy levels. 

Incredible win, brilliant aspects, Howe is a man mountain; another ropey performance and Spurs should have been out of sight.