Newcastle United 2-1 Tottenham Hotspur (01/09/24) | Reaction: pg 48 | Goal posts: OP

Yorkie

Just now, TheBrownBottle said:

Incredibly harsh on BDB for me - thought he was better than Bruno, Longstaff, Isak in terms of performance - and Pope was as much at fault for the goal 

That ball was not hitting the back of the net as Pope had gotten enough on it to bat it away. Spurs didn't deserve a goal for the quality of the opportunities they created. Game of fine margins this one so a poor score for Burn feels warranted.

1 minute ago, Holloway said:

Deserved win is the strangest take of the day. We dug deep but were very jammy there

We could have been pumped 5-1 in that 10 minute spell, no doubt. Not our problem if they can't finish. ;)

Pope - 6. 

Livramento - 6 (but got better)

Krafth - 6. 

Burn - 7. 

Kelly - 7. 

Bruno - 6.

Joelinton - 6.

Longstaff - 7.

Barnes - 7.

Isak - 6 (saved a dire performance)

Gordon - 5.

1 minute ago, Holloway said:

Deserved win is the strangest take of the day. We dug deep but were very jammy there

I see what you mean but at the same time it took some comical defending from us to allow Spurs to score. They were very like Southampton with better quality, almost everything was in front of us and they relied on shots from distance. Their keeper made more proper saves than Pope unless my memory is playing tricks on me

3 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Incredibly harsh on BDB for me - thought he was better than Bruno, Longstaff, Isak in terms of performance - and Pope was as much at fault for the goal 

Like I say I thought he was solid but had some big mistakes that put us in danger, and scored an own goal.

It wasn't so much Spurs playing well today as us playing really bad with the ball when I think about it, and we knew Tottenham are very vulnerable to counters and punished them for an obvious weakness.....so......fair enough result? :lol:

1 minute ago, Upthemags said:

That ball was not hitting the back of the net as Pope had gotten enough on it to bat it away. Spurs didn't deserve a goal for the quality of the opportunities they created. Game of fine margins this one so a poor score for Burn feels warranted.

Pope does his job in the first place and he doesn’t need to bat away the follow-up

4 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Nowt three wins out of four can't go some way to curing. 

It was critical that we came out of today having not fueled the bubbling toxicity. The lads made sure of it. 

Fucking GET IN. 

You'd hope so, but I'd also argue that the growing concern (not toxicity) isn't limited to the fans either.

1 minute ago, Ghandis Flip-Flop said:

I see what you mean but at the same time it took some comical defending from us to allow Spurs to score. They were very like Southampton with better quality, almost everything was in front of us and they relied on shots from distance. Their keeper made more proper saves than Pope unless my memory is playing tricks on me

I'd have to watch it back minus the nerves/ emotion but they were a much more serious threat than long range pot shots 

Not sure how we won today but couldn't care less. Encouraging to get an Isak goal but him also admitting he's not at his best. Get Schar back and we could turn this into a very decent start to the season. Someone have a little word with Anthony Gordon and make sure he's okay. Definitely nit himself and it's written all over his face.

3 minutes ago, Holloway said:

Sitting back and countering is the way to beat spurs. We beat them 4-0 in april where they had 73% possession. As I said they where the better team today, they are just dumb.