Fulham 3-1 Newcastle United (21/09/24)

Yorkie

7 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Silva seems to be starting to put something pretty fun together at Fulham. They were really good.

His decision to drop Perreira into a deeper role in midfield and recruit Smith-Rowe to play the 10 position instead is looking like a master stroke. He's tying everything together for the team.

It was also somewhat amusing, in a dark and twisted way, to see the NO forum 'shit' players Iwobi and Adama torment us all game. They've both started the season very strongly.

Feels like everywhere you look at the minute there's a player on the right showing ours up. I'm sick of it.

That’s not difficult to do tbh, I still find it mad some people thought we weren’t desperate for a RW.

What Traore offers, is not much different to what Murphy would offer us. Direct running, average end products, sometimes good, sometimes bad. Good work rate. Infuriating player. Some top games across the season, mixed in with largely average stuff that hinders things.

The 4-2-3-1 is something we can do, and have the 3 be different at times.

Pope: Tino, Schar, Kelly, Hall: Bruno, Tonali: Barnes, Gordon, Murphy: Isak

An example of one set up, where in possession it could look more like.

Tino - Schar - Kelly

Tonali - Hall

Bruno

Murphy - Barnes

Isak - Gordon

Far greater pace in defence, Schar the ball outlet. Hall coming inside to offer possession retention, and Bruno then able to be further forward to take ball in spaces in opposition half rather than ours. With width still there and Isak with Gordon up with him, and either dropping to link and other running beyond.

We have the squad to mix it up different to that, just get away from 4-3-3 flat shape stuff please Howe.

Didn't get to watch the full 90 mins yesterday, but from the 25 min highlights on Sky, one thing which struck me in the first half was that both Joelinton and Bruno were getting caught upfield and Iwobi and Traore were causing havoc in the space they left behind. Joelinton did track back for the first goal, but he was going through the motions, never looked like he really thought he would catch up. Bruno is just too slow if he's caught that far up the field, someone else needs to drop deep when he's pushing forward.

39 minutes ago, Lordshola said:

It’s looking pretty grim. On our current form, I genuinely don’t see where we can win over those next 5 games.

Things can change very quickly, we’ve been here many times over the years. 

Interesting that most teams that are currently winning have adopted the 4-2-3-1.

Man city adopted this ages ago and it clearly has the edge over the flat 4-3-3.

Joelinton needs dropped in favour of Bruno and tonali as the 2 holding players 

Thought the ref was really good btw, didn't fall for either team's attempts to buy cheap free kicks by looking for contact and then falling over.

Wish more refs would call it like that. Allows games to flow a lot more.

It's a contact sport, being strong in the challenge should be part of the game, if you can't maintain your control under the slightest contact then you deserve to lose the ball to be honest. It's become too accepted a part of the game to get your body between the ball and your opponent and just fall over if there's any contact IMO.

1 minute ago, Pancrate1892 said:

Interesting that most teams that are currently winning have adopted the 4-2-3-1.

Man city adopted this ages ago and it clearly has the edge over the flat 4-3-3.

Joelinton needs dropped in favour of Bruno and tonali as the 2 holding players 

Agree with this. If you are going to play with Bruno getting forward, you need another sitting defender who can cover his forays upfield, or on the odd occasion he is dispossessed trying to get things moving under a hard press. In any case, the balance has looked way off in the games we've played so far.

3 minutes ago, Shak said:

Thought the ref was really good btw, didn't fall for either team's attempts to buy cheap free kicks by looking for contact and then falling over.

It's a contact sport, being strong in the challenge should be part of the game, if you can't maintain your control under the slightest contact then you deserve to lose the ball to be honest. It's become too accepted a part of the game to get your body between the ball and your opponent and just fall over if there's any contact IMO.

While I agree, it’s a bit harsh on the players that something they understand gets them a free kick suddenly doesn’t. If it was consistent, grand. 

Just now, AyeDubbleYoo said:

While I agree, it’s a bit harsh on the players that something they understand gets them a free kick suddenly doesn’t. If it was consistent, grand. 

That's fair.

I suppose my counter would be that they should be trying to play football, not trying to buy free kicks, but that's admittedly an unrealistic hope.

8 minutes ago, Shak said:

Disagree tbh, I think the slightest contact is often all it needs to upset the balance of a player in full flow. Yes sometimes players make the most of it, but it's annoying as hell when you see one of your players lose possession under a heavy challenge then they go up the other end and score. Get the ball first and not the man is the safest call IMO.

17 minutes ago, TRon said:

Disagree tbh, I think the slightest contact is often all it needs to upset the balance of a player in full flow. Yes sometimes players make the most of it, but it's annoying as hell when you see one of your players lose possession under a heavy challenge then they go up the other end and score. Get the ball first and not the man is the safest call IMO.

I mean it depends on the scenario.

Sometimes a slight bit of contact is a clear foul, yes.

I'm more talking about things like when Bruno buys free kicks by just going down under slight contact from a push in the back when shielding the ball. 

39 minutes ago, Shak said:

I mean it depends on the scenario.

Sometimes a slight bit of contact is a clear foul, yes.

I'm more talking about things like when Bruno buys free kicks by just going down under slight contact from a push in the back when shielding the ball. 

I think then just be careful not to push him in the back before getting to the ball.

12 minutes ago, TRon said:

I think then just be careful not to push him in the back before getting to the ball.

Just to clarify :lol:

Your contention here is that if a player in possession of the ball is made contact with by an opponent, they should receive a free kick in the event that they then fall down?

2 hours ago, Lordshola said:

It’s looking pretty grim. On our current form, I genuinely don’t see where we can win over those next 5 games.

If we don't think we can beat Everton then that's a huge concern

6 minutes ago, Shak said:

Just to clarify :lol:

Your contention here is that if a player in possession of the ball is made contact with by an opponent, they should receive a free kick in the event that they then fall down?

I mean obviously there will be some contact, but that's what the ref is there for, he can decide if the player is diving or if the challenging player is pushing to nudge the player off balance. The guy with the ball has possession so it's up to the challenger to get it without going through the player.

Anybody count how many Fulham players were ten yards from Bruno on the last fuck up? 

5! Half their fucking team pressing the corner of the pitch, and that's when we are normally in a 'backs to the wall' situation trying to protect a 2-1 lead.

Quite simply, we have to start to play risky again because the safe option is absolute suicide. Sadly, that means Dan burn. Either dropping out, or going back to left back, I think most people would choose the former 

1 hour ago, TRon said:

I mean obviously there will be some contact, but that's what the ref is there for, he can decide if the player is diving or if the challenging player is pushing to nudge the player off balance. The guy with the ball has possession so it's up to the challenger to get it without going through the player.

That's fair enough, I guess what it comes down to is that I'd like to see the bar for what constitutes foul worthy contact be where it was yesterday, rather than where it generally is.

7 hours ago, TRon said:

Didn't get to watch the full 90 mins yesterday, but from the 25 min highlights on Sky, one thing which struck me in the first half was that both Joelinton and Bruno were getting caught upfield and Iwobi and Traore were causing havoc in the space they left behind. Joelinton did track back for the first goal, but he was going through the motions, never looked like he really thought he would catch up. Bruno is just too slow if he's caught that far up the field, someone else needs to drop deep when he's pushing forward.

Bruno and Joelinton were awful yesterday.  However, nobody will say it on here because..... welll ...... they are Brazilian and not called Longstaff.

2 minutes ago, Rod said:

Bruno and Joelinton were awful yesterday.  However, nobody will say it on here because..... welll ...... they are Brazilian and not called Longstaff.

Joelinton has regularly had ‘off’ periods. Bruno hasn’t looked at his best this season, for Brazil also. Chance for Eddie to practice what he preaches re everyone having a chance. Imagine the meltdown if he starts Tonali and Longstaff… imagine if they forge a magnificent partnership! 

51 minutes ago, Rod said:

Plenty of people has said it. Have no problem saying both have been poor all season.