Newcastle United 1-1 Manchester City - 28/09/24

Disco

2 hours ago, Displayname said:

Honestly thought atleast some of the improvement came from swapping out Isak. He just cant press like Gordon did up there.

Yeh I can see that, Gordon was an absolute menace, but then what's to say Isak wouldn't have also turned it on if he'd been available? It's the first game of the season that the whole team has turned up.

31 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I feel this myself but I just think our crowd is more responsive than ‘always on’. We discussed that when we were talking about if we need a European style ultras section that just sings constantly no matter the situation. 

Personally I’m much happier with a crowd that responds to the events in the game more directly, I think that’s more the English culture. But the downside is it does lead to some quiet periods. 

I thought before the game and as it kicked off everyone was expecting the worst, which created a quiet atmosphere to begin with. 

Watched the full match now and the main thing that stood out for me is that, whatever his form is like and regardless of his part in us conceding, we generally look so much more balanced and cohesive with Trippier playing. The positions he takes up when we're in possession make such a big difference to our overall game.

Anyway, for posterity.

Pope: 6

Trippier: 7

Schar: 7

Burn: 7.5

Hall: 7.5

Joelinton: 6.5

Bruno: 7

Tonali: 7

Barnes: 6.5

Gordon: 7

Murphy: 7.5

The overall team level, attacking purpose, patterns of play and attitude was miles better. Not amazing, but very good, especially considering the opposition.

Manchester City midfielder Mateo Kovacic admitted post-match that the champions should be happy with a point given the threat Newcastle posed during the game.

The Croatia international said: "It's a tough place to come. There is a lot of intensity and tactical duels so it is tough. So it is a good point. But we came here to win and we had our chances. Maybe we made a little mistake for the goal and the penalty but these things happen. This time we have to be happy with a draw."

He added: "They pressed well. Like I say it's a tough place to come because the intensity is high. :love:

"It was not easy but I think we coped well. We had a few chances and could have scored, maybe in the second half we needed that second goal. We didn't get it and in the end it is a draw."

16 hours ago, BonesJones said:

Just finished watching the full replay on the app. Few takeaways.

Hall had a great game, seems to be growing and gaining confidence.

Tonali should be in the XI for every league game. No question!

Nice to see some of the qualities Trippier offers to the team on show again!

Gordon completed the Great North Run in record time.

There was even an element of our shithousing back just not quite as blatant as previously.

This level or thereabouts needs to now remain, then when Isak drops back in we can steamroll some teams! Well done Howe and the team for performing.

Isak can’t and won’t press like Gordon. Certainly not for 90 minutes. I doubt he could do it with that intensity for 45 mins tbh. 
With Isak being less of a press fiend it would require our CBs to be much tighter to the forwards they’re marking. Burns can’t/won't and Schar isn’t as an effective at it without Botman. 
I think the obvious way to go without Botman but with Isak is a lower block. 
Otherwise I think teams will just play through the middle of us without much interference.

8 hours ago, Kid Icarus said:

Watched the full match now and the main thing that stood out for me is that, whatever his form is like and regardless of his part in us conceding, we generally look so much more balanced and cohesive with Trippier playing. The positions he takes up when we're in possession make such a big difference to our overall game.

Anyway, for posterity.

Pope: 6

Trippier: 7

Schar: 7

Burn: 7.5

Hall: 7.5

Joelinton: 6.5

Bruno: 7

Tonali: 7

Barnes: 6.5

Gordon: 7

Murphy: 7.5

The overall team level, attacking purpose, patterns of play and attitude was miles better. Not amazing, but very good, especially considering the opposition.

That's shocking giving pope a six mind. 

40 minutes ago, GeordieDazzler said:

Really decent analysis this, Big Joe selfless for the team

Good analysis. Think Howe is unfairly criticised a lot for not being tactically astute enough to be 'elite'

yet hear he is setting up the team to contain one or the best sides ever against one of the greatest coaches ever, and succeeding (can't remember the xG but City's was v low). 

Watched it again this evening. Unless I missed it, the camera didn't, once, pan into the Directors seats for a cameo of Eales, Mitchell and Bunce? 

Was that out of respect to Eales? Was he there? Were any of them there? 

Was that because we were doing fine? 

We're all 3 there but TNT aren't shit stirrers like Sky? 

27 minutes ago, Groundhog63 said:

Watched it again this evening. Unless I missed it, the camera didn't, once, pan into the Directors seats for a cameo of Eales, Mitchell and Bunce? 

Saw a pic of all 3 sat together alongside Jamie Reuben.

Thought the Chairman was supposed to be coming over but not seen any mention of him being at the match.

12 hours ago, Groundhog63 said:

Probably because we were playing well. 

On 30/09/2024 at 09:37, Ronson333 said:

Don’t think ultras work in the English game, look at Palaces fake attempts, their ultras look like S Club 7 with that little drum.

Think the Rangers and Celtic games are now borderline unwatchable because of the drone of their daft drum each 

On 30/09/2024 at 09:07, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I feel this myself but I just think our crowd is more responsive than ‘always on’. We discussed that when we were talking about if we need a European style ultras section that just sings constantly no matter the situation. 

Personally I’m much happier with a crowd that responds to the events in the game more directly, I think that’s more the English culture. But the downside is it does lead to some quiet periods. 

Yeah I think that a reactive crowd is much better for the players. Howe always talks about harnessing the crowd. Psychologically you do something on the pitch that gets a crowd reaction it’s going to help you then just a generic ultra noise. 

I found PSG utterly inane when they were here, was just generic noise and bore no relation to what was happening on the pitch. Also dressing all in black, marching and singing songs to a drum beat has some pretty fashy connotations.