Everton 0-0 Newcastle United (05/10/24)

Yorkie

12 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Utter bollocks  :lol:

Tonight we did the opposite of what we've been doing. Until now we've been carving very little open, creating not that much, and getting through it with a breakaway, a worldie or a pen. Tonight we created plenty of openings and our final ball or shot let us down. 

I’ve given up arguing this, think some people just want to be negative

He won't next game, as he'll be travelling back from South America a few days before, but i'd be starting Miggy soon. I don't think Murphy performed badly at all, but Miggy seems to have a decent bit of zip about him when he came on and added a different dimension, and got into some good positions. 

1 minute ago, gbandit said:

Some are always negative, it will never change. But we can’t be emotional about this, you cannot argue that there is a trend of poor away performances since last season. It will end up punishing us, a lot on here are expecting us to qualify for Europe this season and they will end up disappointed when it doesn’t happen. You don’t get top 6 playing like we do away, it’s just a fact. 

It’s not all doom and gloom, and it can change. We just need to get our act together on the road.

Just now, Kid Icarus said:

We weren't creating previously and squandering chances, that's just factually wrong. We were outstripping our xG because we were creating little but getting goals. Tonight was the opposite, an xG of  nearly 3, no goals.

Watch the games again, your trying to put an argument that because we had more possession in the final third against an absolutely shocking Everton team and as a result more play in the final third which we fucked up it's a one off. We have squandered passes and been guilty of poor final passes in every game including Man City (Longstaff, Murphy). You're not going to get European football, never mind winning anything if you can only rely on worldies or pens. We're not going to agree though

3 minutes ago, jack j said:

Must have won it back some considering we had 70% possession like! If anything the square and backwards balls were more of a problem than the progressive passes getting intercepted.

I know we had a lot of possession. We also had several poor moments we gave the ball away. Trippier three times the first 15 mins or what it was the perfect example.

11 minutes ago, KingArthur said:

We created quite enough chances to score 2-3 goals

67% possession, expected goals 1.73, including the penalty, 3 shots on target. 

Dyche will be delighted, we didn’t manage to disrupt their shape or have any sustained pressure in the final 3rd. 

Everton didn’t press, didn’t commit players forward and were reasonably comfortable. I’d have had Willock on earlier for Tonali & Barnes had to stay on, he’s the player who would have taken a chance.

Two points dropped, no doubt about it.

2 minutes ago, Nine said:

Some are always negative, it will never change. But we can’t be emotional about this, you cannot argue that there is a trend of poor away performances since last season. It will end up punishing us, a lot on here are expecting us to qualify for Europe this season and they will end up disappointed when it doesn’t happen. You don’t get top 6 playing like we do away, it’s just a fact. 

It’s not all doom and gloom, and it can change. We just need to get our act together on the road.

I completely agree there’s been a trend to our away performances for ages. They’ve been awful. Today was nothing like most of our away performances in the last 16 months 

Just now, et tu brute said:

Watch the games again, your trying to put an argument that because we had more possession in the final third against an absolutely shocking Everton team and as a result more play in the final third which we fucked up it's a one off. We have squandered passes and been guilty of poor final passes in every game including Man City (Longstaff, Murphy). You're not going to get European football, never mind winning anything if you can only rely on worldies or pens. We're not going to agree though

I don't think anyone reading what I've said would say im saying that, because I'm not. What I'm saying is really simple: previously we created little and took our chances, tonight we created plenty and didn't. 

1 minute ago, vic said:

Tonali poor for me,has he got the temperament for the Premier league?

He gave the ball away once or twice as he got tired, but he adds so much to our play, and the his movement is excellent. His one touch passing allows us to be so much fluid on the ball. 

5 minutes ago, gbandit said:

No just stating things as I see, as I have for 50 years watching the team. I praise when deserved and criticise when deserved. I'll put it another way, I think some people (especially on here) won't criticise anything. I totally don't accept that was a good performance against a totally shit Everton team and if you're not happy about that, then tough I'm entitled to my opinion every much as you and I everyone else

I thought we were far too predictable and lacking in any real creativity in the final third; we're very easy to defend against. I'm not even sure it's simply a finishing problem as other than Gordon's two opportunities I can't remember another clear chance on goal. I miss those patterns of play around the edge of box with Bruno, Almiron and to a lesser extent Miley. We need more clever movement and incisive passing around the box to start creating proper openings against defensive teams, which is a tactical issue rather than an individual personnel problem imo. The aimless crosses and cut-backs feel desperate and too basic.

3 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

I don't think anyone reading what I've said would say im saying that, because I'm not. What I'm saying is really simple: previously we created little and took our chances, tonight we created plenty and didn't. 

I totally disagree with you. leave it at that, you're entitled to your opinion as am I. You think I'm talking utter bollocks and I think you are

12 minutes ago, gbandit said:

I completely agree there’s been a trend to our away performances for ages. They’ve been awful. Today was nothing like most of our away performances in the last 16 months 

I don’t agree, tonight was slightly better than Wolves but again it was poor. It’s not easy to score against team that sits in a low block 90% of the time, and thats Everton’s bread and butter under Dyche. But can you point out to me where we performed well tonight? We were allowed the ball and still gave up alot of possession, our attacking play was poor. I think it was very much a continuation of the trend, we score transitional goals away from home but you don’t get those against a low block. Trippiers down turn in form has taken away one of our biggest weapons, the right hand side was our best attacking outlet but we look lost without it. 

We honestly look like a poorly coached team away from home, I’m not speaking with emotion here either. It’s just the truth. We scraped past Wolves and did nothing of note against Everton, two of our easiest away games on paper that we’ll have all season. It’s concerning. If we don’t improve then we won’t hit the targets people are expecting of us this season, we all have faith in Howe I’m not here to question him. I just want to see improvement. 

Edited by Nine

Frustrating result, a few snatched shots and definitely missing a striker. But a point away to a place where we've struggled is OK.

Ultimately, that missed penalty really cost us - put that away and I think we win by a couple. Though I suppose you could say the same about the flukey goalline clearance from Bruno's shot. Either goes in and I think it's a different game.

Still, like I say, a point away and a few signs we're clicking into gear over the last few games, two of which have been against sides quite happy to sit back and both of whom created virtually nothing against us. It's breaking down those sort of teams where we struggle at the moment.

2 minutes ago, Nine said:

I don’t agree, tonight was slightly better than Wolves but again it was poor. It’s not easy to score against team that sits in a low block 90% of the time, and thats Everton’s bread and butter under Dyche. Can you point out to me where we performed well tonight? We were allowed the ball and still gave up alot of possession, our attacking play was poor. I think it was very much a continuation of the trend, we score transitional goals away from home but you don’t get those against a low block. Trippiers down turn in form has taken away one of biggest weapons, the right hand side was our best attacking outlet but we look lost without it. 

We honestly look like a poorly coached team away from home, I’m not speaking with emotion here either. It’s just the truth. We scraped past Wolves and did nothing of note against Everton, two of our easiest away games on paper that we’ll have all season. It’s concerning. If we don’t improve then we won’t hit the targets people are expecting of us this season, we all have faith in Howe I’m not here to question him. I just want to see improvement. 

Our press was excellent, we won the ball back countless times in their half. That was much improved. We transitioned out of defence and midfield into wide positions far quicken than we have done away from home all season and during last season. This meant we had more promising positions and weren’t just ponderously attacking against rows of players. Our movement was generally much improved as well with Gordon running in behind and other players getting in behind. I’ll happily agree that our final pass and finishing was abysmal 

8 minutes ago, 54 said:

He gave the ball away once or twice as he got tired, but he adds so much to our play, and the his movement is excellent. His one touch passing allows us to be so much fluid on the ball. 

Other players gave the ball away more but Tonali’s under the microscope.

42 minutes ago, Jordan said:

Two chances in 90 mins against a shite relegation threatened team

Yep. Not ideal but when you’ve no centre forward I expect there’ll be some limitations in the final third with no genuine focal point. 

that being said we should have had two more chances in first and second half; Joelinton’s “through ball” to Barnes and Almiron being under hit and going behind them. 

Good point away from home when you create almost nothing. Point more than last season also. Best 90mins we’ve performed also.

Missing both our centre forwards. Would’ve liked to of seen Osula given 20mins.