***The Quote-tastic thread***

Guest smoggeordie

Melchiot was poor for Brum last season. Wasn't he getting booed by his own fans at one point?

Then when he left he ended up at a mid table French team which says it all really.

Butt was shite for Birmingham last season but he's doing ok right now in a better team.

The argument of which club a player goes to doesn't wash either, it was used against Bellamy for example, when he joined Blackburn.

Melchiot! That would be a let down.

Why?

Not being funny like. He's not a bad player and is definitely better than Carr.

He was almost as bad for Brum as Carr is for us.

Only his size helped him out now and then.

We can do better imo.

Why?

We can do better imo.

I'm not suggesting we sign him mate, just that he's much better than Carr and we do need to bring players in without breaking the bank. I think he'd do better in a better team than Birmingham, he also has experience, which is needed at the back. After saying all that, I'd be happy if Solano stayed at RB for the rest of the season.

Why?

Because we would be going from a shite player to a poor player. May be an improvement but not much of one!

Why?

We can do better imo.

I'm not suggesting we sign him mate, just that he's much better than Carr and we do need to bring players in without breaking the bank. I think he'd do better in a better team than Birmingham, he also has experience, which is needed at the back. After saying all that, I'd be happy if Solano stayed at RB for the rest of the season.

He'd be a body true, i'd even take him if we sold Carr and bought a proper RB and he was cover, that would be a better plan. I just think we need to get someone solid in the fullback positions in this window, if we do, we'll have a decent season, allow the CB's we have to progress. Get some of the injured players back and then make attacking changes in the summer window when we have time and chance to get rid of more of the deadwood, and next season we'll be laughing.

Why?

We can do better imo.

He'd be a body true, i'd even take him if we sold Carr and bought a proper RB and he was cover, that would be a better plan. I just think we need to get someone solid in the fullback positions in this window, if we do, we'll have a decent season, allow the CB's we have to progress. Get some of the injured players back and then make attacking changes in the summer window when we have time and chance to get rid of more of the deadwood, and next season we'll be laughing.

Well I think he's not great but he's adequate. There are so many weaknesses that need to be sorted the money can only be expected to go so far. My preference right now is still for a quality striker, then LB before looking at the RB position anyway.

Why?

We can do better imo.

Well I think he's not great but he's adequate. There are so many weaknesses that need to be sorted the money can only be expected to go so far. My preference right now is still for a quality striker, then LB before looking at the RB position anyway.

I would agree with your priorities, still would rather go for a right back that would actually make a marked improvement to the defence but I see where you are coming from in regards to money to actually do this.

Think it would be like for like though.

We've obviously got a certain amount of money, i'm thinking probably in the region of £10m.

Bringing Melchiot here for tuppence wouldn't surprise me. If we do that - Roeder is clearly throwing all his eggs in one basket, and is going to buy a striker. Bring in a below-average defender for nowt, then we can concentrate on bringing in another attacking player for big money.

For some reason, the words 'typical Newcastle' spring to mind.

Left-back is the one position in the squad that we are totally shite at. If i wanted to see us blow our budget on one position - it would be that one. Melchiot is fucking crap and relegation-fodder standard.

:roll: 

We've obviously got a certain amount of money, i'm thinking probably in the region of £10m.

Bringing Melchiot here for tuppence wouldn't surprise me. If we do that - Roeder is clearly throwing all his eggs in one basket, and is going to buy a striker. Bring in a below-average defender for nowt, then we can concentrate on bringing in another attacking player for big money.

For some reason, the words 'typical Newcastle' spring to mind.

Left-back is the one position in the squad that we are totally shite at. If i wanted to see us blow our budget on one position - it would be that one. Melchiot is f***ing crap and relegation-fodder standard.

:roll: 

To be clearer, I think we need 2 strikers, a LB and a RB. Quality strikers cost decent money and that's what we need the most imo, whether or not it takes the bulk of the money.

In the ideal world that some inhabit I would like to see us get a great deal on Jan 1st for 1 quality striker, 1 quality LB, 1 backup striker and 1 backup RB (Solano has made the position his imo).

If we don't do it until the end of the month I will still be happy though. If we don't get these 4 players I'll accept it, the manager may have other plans after all.  :winking:

In an absolute dream world I would add the money from the sale of Parker to the pot and use it to buy a quality CB.

simply can't believe the amount of people who still think a new full back will score the goals if Martins is injured.

Along with the fact that they also still think the shite board will conjur up more money - again - than all the clubs with better boards than us.

Staggering.

simply can't believe the amount of people who still think a new full back will score the goals if Martins is injured.

Along with the fact that they also still think the shite board will conjur up more money - again - than all the clubs with better boards than us.

Staggering.

A good (real, ie not a centre back played there!) full back will help contribute to our attacking play and therefore increase our chances of scoring. We do need a striker, someone who will score goals but we also need full backs!

Staggering.

bluelaugh.gif  bluelaugh.gif  bluelaugh.gif  bluelaugh.gif  bluelaugh.gif

Where are all of these people who think a new fullback will score the goals if Martins is injured?

You really are desperate to make yourself look stupid, are you doing this for a bet?

Staggering.

Where are all of these people who think a new fullback will score the goals if Martins is injured?

You really are desperate to make yourself look stupid, are you doing this for a bet?

if you think it is daft, so do I. Maybe you should ask these people why they think a full back and/or a central defender is the priority, not me, because it isn't me who is saying it.

Staggering.

if you think it is daft, so do I. Maybe you should ask these people why they think a full back and/or a central defender is the priority, not me, because it isn't me who is saying it.

Maybe they have a crystal ball like you, maybe the one they have tells them that we'll suffer injuries at the back in the way yours tells you that Martins is going to get injured.  Maybe they see Shola being injured and Rossi returning to Man U as a need for a replacement, then again they may see the injuries to Carr, Moore, Babayaro, Bernard and Bramble as reasons to get somebody in to play at the back.

Staggering.

A good (real, ie not a centre back played there!) full back will help contribute to our attacking play and therefore increase our chances of scoring. We do need a striker, someone who will score goals but we also need full backs!

Cash is limited. Thickmick will tell you this, and his sister if she comes along will too, as she surely will if the club spends too much money in January/doesn't spend anything and Martins is injured [delete as appropriate]

It's good to see that the clubs plight is down to those who point out that we are financially in the shit and nowt to do with the bloke who created the situation, pathetic fools.

So, do you think the club should buy players in January, or not ?

You clearly have forgotten the pathetic position we were in as a result of selling our best players and buying cheap replacements for over 30 years, if indeed you did witness it as you say you did, or do you think that was the better strategy and so would prefer the club to revert to that one ?  Just think if McKeag and his cronies hadn't been taken over, all your glory days of challenging for the 2nd division title instead of playing in europe regularly would have been ours, and a failed share issue and half empty ground at the end of it all. Still, no different to nowadays eh  :lol: :lol:

An answer would be appreciated. Although I realise you are dodging it, so you can criticise later for buying/criticise for not buying [delete as appropriate]

Staggering.

Maybe they have a crystal ball like you, maybe the one they have tells them that we'll suffer injuries at the back in the way yours tells you that Martins is going to get injured.  Maybe they see Shola being injured and Rossi returning to Man U as a need for a replacement, then again they may see the injuries to Carr, Moore, Babayaro, Bernard and Bramble as reasons to get somebody in to play at the back.

We have plenty of defenders. We don't have plenty of forwards. Make a judgement of the shape of the team and how it plays. The defence is doing well enough, if Martins is injured we have nobody. There is no crystal ball, just common sense, but I realise that is beyond you as all you want to do is apply hindsight and criticise accordingly.

Staggering.

We have plenty of defenders. We don't have plenty of forwards. Make a judgement of the shape of the team and how it plays. The defence is doing well enough, if Martins is injured we have nobody. There is no crystal ball, just common sense, but I realise that is beyond you as all you want to do is apply hindsight and criticise accordingly.

We don't have "plenty of defenders" though do we really? We have a few young centre backs filling in at fb and a rw doing the same. We don't really have any natural full backs that are good enough! Solano is doing a good job but as soon as he is injured we don't have anyone who can defend and attack from the full back position.