Top marks for Roeder's transfer policy so far

stozo

I understand that people will be unhappy we haven't got anyone in and may not do in this window but I think it shows how good Roeder's transfer policy is.

He is the first manager in a long time at this club who is actually taking care when spending.

Firstly, he is thinking long term, he isn't buying players who will only spend 1 or 2 years here he is going after people who will be here for 4 or 5 years.

Secondly, he is clearly after quality, he doesn't just buy people because they are available he is going after players who could help us get back to the Champions League.

Finally, by the sounds of it he is not being held to ransom. He's shown he won't pay over the odds when going after people, a good example of that being Bent in the summer.

While his policy may not look brilliant in the next 6 months I believe in 2 years time it will look brilliant and we will have a good young squad like we had under SBR.

On the other side of the coin you could argue his hesitancy makes him out to be a ditherer. The Kuyt saga was an embarrassment.

I understand that people will be unhappy we haven't got anyone in and may not do in this window but I think it shows how good Roeder's transfer policy is.

He is the first manager in a long time at this club who is actually taking care when spending.

Firstly, he is thinking long term, he isn't buying players who will only spend 1 or 2 years here he is going after people who will be here for 4 or 5 years.

Secondly, he is clearly after quality, he doesn't just buy people because they are available he is going after players who could help us get back to the Champions League.

Finally, by the sounds of it he is not being held to ransom. He's shown he won't pay over the odds when going after people, a good example of that being Bent in the summer.

While his policy may not look brilliant in the next 6 months I believe in 2 years time it will look brilliant and we will have a good young squad like we had under SBR.

On the other hand SBR started by buying players who were going to spend only 1 or 2 years here just so that the club gets going and moves up the table...Then this little success will encourage bigger and better players to come to us...If we don't take these intermidate steps then we will not be able to improve the squad that quickly simply because the good players won't come to a mid table teams like us...

On the other side of the coin you could argue his hesitancy makes him out to be a ditherer. The Kuyt saga was an embarrassment.

On the contrary I'd say he did very well with Kuyt. Kuyt and his agents would have known about Liverpool's interest as well as Newcastle's pretty early in the summer. We obviously tried to sign him but failed but at the same time we had Martins watched several times and were able to go to Plan B and get our man.

On the other hand SBR started by buying players who were going to spend only 1 or 2 years here just so that the club gets going and moves up the table...Then this little success will encourage bigger and better players to come to us...If we don't take these intermidate steps then we will not be able to improve the squad that quickly simply because the good players won't come to a mid table teams like us...

The situation now is very different to when SBR came in. When SBR came in we were very much in danger of going down. Now with Roeder, once we get over this injury crisis, we are easily a top 8 team, possible even top 6.

Guest elbee909

The situation now is very different to when SBR came in. When SBR came in we were very much in danger of going down. Now with Roeder, once we get over this injury crisis, we are easily a top 8 team, possible even top 6.

We don't have that sort of consistency under Roeder; blips aside, we just don't.

Okay so he's saving us money but i really don't believe he can attract quality players to this club!! One example was Lauren turning us down for pompy...i mean come on!!

Did he really though or is that just paper talk? Read another paper and it says we turned him down.

Well where the f*ck are they? Would much sooner we signed Lauren & Campbell for around £2m, than bid for the likes of Bale for £6m or whoever when there's not a cat in hells chance of us signing him.

Okay so he's saving us money but i really don't believe he can attract quality players to this club!! One example was Lauren turning us down for pompy...i mean come on!!

Roeder said in the Chronicle this week that Lauren was offered but we turned him down.

Is he really, or is it rather the club running out of money...

If being careful with money is spending £5m on a position we're already well covered in, instead of buying defenders, then God help us.

Is he really, or is it rather the club running out of money...

If being careful with money is spending £5m on a position we're already well covered in, instead of buying defenders, then God help us.

How can you say that we were well covered for the position when we had one 20-year old player with LW as natural position?

Its annoying and frustrating but not Roeders fault, every manager has their transfer tagets and will inform their chairman of who these targets are. Roeder will have done this  and now all he can do is the same as us, wait for Fat Fred to do some work and get him the players he wants. This does not seem to take ofther chairman as long to sort as it does Fred, so we just have to sit and wait but if we sign no one then there is somehting wrong at this club, we are desperate for new players I don't think the need we have can be stressed to much.

I feel the quicker we are shot of him the better the club will be, it's so obvious we are never going to get the players that we should be getting. I just don't think Roeder has that pulling power.

I feel the quicker we are shot of him the better the club will be, it's so obvious we are never going to get the players that we should be getting. I just don't think Roeder has that pulling power.

As much as I think there are problems with Roeders transfer dealing the old "wont be able to attract" line is just old and lazy. He managed to attract Duff and Martins. People used the same line with Souness and he also got a fair few high profile names in. Fact is most players are attracted to one thing, money! Thats something we don't really have a problem with as we often pay stupid wages.

Sorry, are you just basing this on what he say's because I have a hard time believing you are basing it on his buy's so far. May I remind you that every manager has said he will be careful with our money, even Souness and his 'proper Premiership players' bollocks.

Eh? Sibi, Bernard will be here for 4 or 5 years? My arse. Besides, all managers buy for the long term unless there are startling deficiencies in the squad that need fixing. Are you saying that Roeders stubborn stance on this is a good thing? Jesus wept.

What a blinding policy. :) Again I assume you are not basing this on his actual signings, because it is clear that Duff was an opportunist purchase and only served to destabilise the team, while Bernard is struggling to deserve a run out in the reserves, and Roeder admitted to knowing almost nothing about Sibierski unti an hour before he became a Newcastle player.

He doesn't have the final say on price, Shepherd does. Besides when he has had money to spend he doesn't strike me as having been that prudent (Repka and Hutchison were certainly not worth the money paid out for instance).

We all hope it may happen but looking beyond his comments (which are pretty contradictory sometimes), the fact is that last summers transfer dealings were a disgrace - Christ, he actually managed to make a paper thin squad even thinner - and this time round, he has so far failed to address any of the problems yet again.

Your opinion is based on pure fantasy.

Sorry, are you just basing this on what he say's baecause I have a hard time believing you are basing it on his buy's so far. May I remind you that every manager has said he will be careful with our money,even Souness and his proper Premiership players bollocks.

Eh? Sibi, Bernard will be here for 4 or 5 years? My arse. Besides, all managers buy for the long term unless there are startling deficiencies in the squad that need fixing. Are you saying that Roeders stubborn stance on this is a good thing? Jesus wept.

Stunning, what a blinding policy. Again I assume you are basing this on fantasy rather than his actual signings, because it is clear that Duff was an opportunist purchase and only served to destabilise the team, while Bernard is struggling to deserve a run out in the reserves, and Roeder admitted to knowing almost nothing about Sibierski unti an hour before he became a Newcastle player.

He doesn't have the final say on price, Shepherd does, besides when he has had money to spend he doesn't strike me as having been that prudent (Repka and Hutchison were certainly not worth the money paid out for instance).

We all hope it may happen but looking beyond his comments (which are pretty contradictory sometimes), the fact is that last summers transfer dealings were a disgrace -Christ, he managed to make a paper thin squad even thinner - and this time round, he has so far failed to address any of the problems yet again.

Your opinion is based on pure fantasy.

Spot on.

Money is a pulling power. So is playing in the first team every week.

Souness managed to get Owen here! What does that say about pulling power? Who would we replace Roeder with anyway? Ottmar Hitzfeld? I'm sure he'd die for the chance to manage us.   :p

Roeder is still working on repairing NUFC after Souness. I can see why NUFC struggle to attract players and top managers. Some fans hate half the team (Bramble, Ameobi, etc) and want the manager sacked if we don't go from a relegation fight to champions league in a season.