Oguchi Onyewu signs on loan

KaKa

Now he's in the bag does anyone think that's it or will we be "pleasantly surprised"?

I think I'd like to watch for a few games first as we all know when Boumsong first arrived heplayed really well for the first season, and what happened after that.

I think he's asking whether people think we're gonna sign someone else or not  :o

Yes!

25.1.2007 (official site):

Another player linked with United has been American centre-back Oguchi Onyewu, currently with Standard Liege.

But Roeder added: "I am aware of this player but he is not a player I am trying to sign."

30.1.2007 (sky sports):

United States international Oguchi Onyewu has joined Newcastle United on loan for the rest of the season after passing a medical on Tuesday.

WHAT THE F**K?! Again I don't get it if Glenn comes out with "yeah, he was always my first choice etc. etc.".. BULLSHIT

Newcastle have completed the loan signing of United States international Oguchi Onyewu until the end of the season.

The 24-year-old Standard Liege defender successfully underwent a medical on Tyneside and has signed a deal which will keep him at St James' Park for the rest of the current campaign.

In addition, the Magpies have negotiated an option to make the transfer permanent in the summer.

Manager Glenn Roeder said: "We have secured Oguchi Onyewu. He comes across as an impressive person - he is certainly physically impressive, which is something I feel we need.

"I watched him a few times and (assistant manager) Nigel Pearson watched him a few times when he was at West Brom last year.

"They were particularly keen to sign him, but Oguchi was looking to step higher if he could, and he feels coming here to Newcastle for the next 12 games or so that he can make a good enough impression to make it a permanent move.

"I certainly hope so. I am delighted to have him."

More news from SportingLife.com

Why does Roeder dismiss stuff and then come out with this it makes him look stupid!?

Guest johnson293

So do we know if he can play tomorrow night?

According to .co.uk, he goes into the sqaud for the Fulham game, on Saturday.

MJ

Guest Gemmill

Another player linked with United has been American centre-back Oguchi Onyewu, currently with Standard Liege.

But Roeder added: "I am aware of this player but he is not a player I am trying to sign."

30.1.2007 (sky sports):

United States international Oguchi Onyewu has joined Newcastle United on loan for the rest of the season after passing a medical on Tuesday.

WHAT THE F**K?! Again I don't get it if Glenn comes out with "yeah, he was always my first choice etc. etc.".. BULLSHIT

:lol:  Please tell me you're joking?

I hope the deal does give us a propper first refusal on signing him, it would be just like us to get a great player and end up not getting for good at the end of the season.

I suppose he will not play tomorrow though.

Will be introduced Tmrw night, then into the squad for Fulham.

12 games isnt a whole lot when coming into the premiership young an relatively inexperienced.

Hope for his sake he doesnt get injured. He is a beast, would love to see him and Titus on form playing alongside each other.

Guest johnson293

Pleased with this signing, and just hope he does well, and we can sort a decent deal int he summer - would make a change for us to bag a bargain!

The offical quotes say he has 12 games to prove his worth for a permanent deal in the summer - just hope Glenn gives him the opportunities - he didn't with Rossi, did he??

Also, hope Gooch hasn't seen the official quotes where glenn said he wasn't a player he was trying to sign. :idiot2:

Otherwise, he's gonna fell really wanted!

MJ

Guest YankeeGeordie

30.1.2007 (sky sports):

Can someone please explain why so many supporters get their panties in a twist over conflicting press statements?

A manager is in a no-win situation here.  Journalists need a story to sell in several different media, supporters are ravenous for information, but who in his right mind is going to reveal their intentions to their competitors before they absolutely must?

Get over it!  It isn't about you, it's about trying to bring in the best possible talent+personalities at the lowest possible cost to the PLC.  And sometimes that means using the media instead of being used by them.

There is very likely something else happening I haven't seen mentioned (perhaps it has)...  I think Roeder has introduced personality profiling.  It's very common in other sports.  You'd have to be stupid to shell out £millions only to discover that your new star is a complete wanker who is more interested in bling, booze, fast cars and faster women.  They go far beyond that, of course...they get to the nitty gritty of who you really are, what motivates you and what sort of environments you thrive and suffer in.  I wouldn't be surpised if the "medical" took so long because Gooch was asked to to submit to a personality profiling.  If it were my money, I would do it.