Oguchi Onyewu signs on loan

KaKa

He might be bigger than Huntingdon and Edgar but is he any better? I hope he works out and settles down quickly if we get him.

But I don't see anything to get excited about...a relative no name loan player.

He can't be that bad if Chelsea, Real and Inter have all been linked with him at some point recently.

Chealsea and Real have been linked to a whole lot of players. Luque for one in Real Madrids case.

I'm not saying he isn't good, I'm sure he is, but I don't think we can base much on who he has been linked with in the past.

Guest smoggeordie

Newcastle have signed United States international defender Oguchi Onyewu on loan from Belgian side Standard Liege until the end of the season.

The 24-year-old underwent a medical at St James' Park on Monday.

He has been attracting interest from clubs across Europe, reportedly including Chelsea.

The former Metz centre-half appeared in all three of the USA's matches at the 2006 World Cup and was voted the US Soccer Athlete of that year.

Now he's in the bag does anyone think that's it or will we be "pleasantly surprised"?

I think I'd like to watch for a few games first as we all know when Boumsong first arrived heplayed really well for the first season, and what happened after that.

Now he's in the bag does anyone think that's it or will we be "pleasantly surprised"?

I think I'd like to watch for a few games first as we all know when Boumsong first arrived heplayed really well for the first season, and what happened after that.

I think he's asking whether people think we're gonna sign someone else or not  :o

He was also shocking for the first moth we had him.

Boumsongs problem, like Bramble, and possibly Gooch is that they all needed leadership next to them.

Boum lost the plot when his personal life went to hell, yet he was still looked upon as the guy to hold up the team. All he needed was someone to look up to and carry the load, unfortunatley for both of us he didnt have that and went to pieces.