Oguchi Onyewu signs on loan

KaKa

Guest Gemmill

There is very likely something else happening I haven't seen mentioned (perhaps it has)...  I think Roeder has introduced personality profiling.  It's very common in other sports.  You'd have to be stupid to shell out £millions only to discover that your new star is a complete wanker who is more interested in bling, booze, fast cars and faster women.  They go far beyond that, of course...they get to the nitty gritty of who you really are, what motivates you and what sort of environments you thrive and suffer in.  I wouldn't be surpised if the "medical" took so long because Gooch was asked to to submit to a personality profiling.  If it were my money, I would do it.

I've had personality tests for my last two jobs and they take half an hour tops tbh.  Plus I doubt we're bright enough to be using them.

Needless to say I passed with flying colours.  ^-^

Guest YankeeGeordie

There is very likely something else happening I haven't seen mentioned (perhaps it has)...  I think Roeder has introduced personality profiling.  It's very common in other sports.  You'd have to be stupid to shell out £millions only to discover that your new star is a complete wanker who is more interested in bling, booze, fast cars and faster women.  They go far beyond that, of course...they get to the nitty gritty of who you really are, what motivates you and what sort of environments you thrive and suffer in.  I wouldn't be surpised if the "medical" took so long because Gooch was asked to to submit to a personality profiling.  If it were my money, I would do it.

I've had personality tests for my last two jobs and they take half an hour tops tbh.  Plus I doubt we're bright enough to be using them.

Yeah, some are quick 'n easy.  Others take hours - in a recent legal ruling regarding tests in normal workplaces in the US, reference was made to the NFL using as many as fifteen different personality tests on prospects.

Congratulations Mr Gemmil you officially now have a personality.

Like the look of him, I have to say. Well done Glenn. Other clubs tried to sign him to no avail (Middlesbrough and Fulham were both very close to signing him), yet you manage to get him here on loan. If only you can do this more often.

Washington Post

Onyewu Stands Out in Belgium

Sherwood High Alum, U.S. National Team Member Is on the Verge of Stardom

By Steven Goff

Washington Post Staff Writer

Tuesday, April 11, 2006; Page E01

LIEGE, Belgium -- Oguchi Onyewu is bouncing around Stade de Sclessin, trying to stay warm on a harsh March night in the Meuse Valley. Kickoff is moments away and the hotblooded crowd of 27,000 is in full verse, a throaty pregame tribute to Onyewu and his Standard Liege teammates.

Banners the size of highway billboards, distinguishing the most fanatical red-clad supporters, hang from the upper decks: Ultras Inferno. Hell Side. Guerilleros. Songs coming from the small, blue-splashed congregation supporting the opponent, Genk, are quickly swamped by the unreceptive hosts.

oguchi onyewu - standard liege - belgium

"I'm only 23 years old and there are a lot of great players who will never play in the World Cup," says Oguchi Onyewu. "So to even have the opportunity to be there with the team in Germany, that would be something special." (Geert Vanden Wijngaert - For The Post)

Amid the madness at the riverside pitch, dwarfed by the festival of color and ceremony, one can spot a few red, white and blue banners: American flags, lying atop a small roof near the field, stuck to a facade, draped over a fan's shoulders.

"It's a nice feeling to know they appreciate you, and appreciate where you're from," Onyewu, 23, said after the 1-0 victory.

Onyewu, the son of Nigerian immigrants, was born in Washington, raised in Silver Spring and Olney with his four siblings and came through Montgomery County's youth leagues. He played two seasons at Sherwood High School, enrolled in the U.S. under-17 residency program in Florida, returned home to graduate from Sherwood, then played two years at Clemson University before embarking on his European adventure.

In his second season with Standard Liege, Onyewu (pronounced Own-YAY-woo) has developed into one of the most fearsome defenders in the modest Belgian league.

This summer, his life -- and bank account -- could undergo a dramatic transformation. Onyewu probably will start for the United States at the World Cup in Germany and, if he performs well and reinforces the favorable reviews he has already received throughout Europe, he could become the subject of a multimillion-dollar transfer to a prominent club in England. Manchester United, Middlesbrough and Charlton reportedly are among the suitors.

"I am very afraid we will lose him," said Standard General Manager Pierre Francois, who, by the terms of Onyewu's contract, must approve a sale if an offer reaches an undisclosed threshold and the player wants to go.

"After the World Cup, who knows? The big clubs in Europe like him very much."

What they, as well as U.S. Coach Bruce Arena, like most about Onyewu is his physical presence on the back line. By soccer standards, Onyewu is massive -- 6 feet 4, 210 pounds, shoulders as broad as an SUV and only a teaspoon of body fat.

"Physically we don't have to worry about him," Arena said. "God took care of that area."

Onyewu didn't make his national team debut until October 2004 at RFK Stadium and has appeared in only 12 matches overall -- an alarmingly brief tenure for a player in contention for a World Cup role. But steady adaptations to the international game and those unmistakable physical attributes have earned him a vital role in Arena's defensive corps.

If Arena decides to use a four-man back line, the outside slots seem set: Eddie Lewis on the left and Steve Cherundolo on the right. The central tandem isn't as clear, with Onyewu likely taking one spot and either Eddie Pope, Carlos Bocanegra or Cory Gibbs the other.

"I'm only 23 years old and there are a lot of great players who will never play in the World Cup," Onyewu said. "So to even have the opportunity to be there with the team in Germany, that would be something special. When I was younger, I never thought that was something I would want to do; I didn't understand the meaning of playing in the World Cup. Now I understand how incredible that would be."

Onyewu started playing soccer at age 5 and, although he also tried basketball after an early growth spurt, his performances on the field made him realize soccer was the best sport to pursue. He played for FC Potomac, an elite club team in Maryland, and soon was invited to youth national team camps.

At the 1999 Under-17 World Championship in New Zealand, he played every minute of every game as the U.S. team, which also included future national team stars Landon Donovan and DaMarcus Beasley, claimed fourth place -- its best finish ever.

Two years later, while a student at Clemson, Onyewu traveled with the under-20 squad to Argentina for the World Youth Championship and a second-round elimination.

He had thought about pursuing a European career after high school, but "I needed to grow up a little bit before making a big decision," he said. After two years of college, though, "I knew it was time."

Onyewu signed with Metz in the French first division, but by the time he arrived, the club had been relegated to the second division, complicating his contractual status; he would still get paid, but could not play. He waited for the deal to be reworked, days turning into weeks, weeks into months.

"He was getting frustrated, but we kept in touch with him and encouraged him to be patient," said his father, Peter Onyewu. "It wasn't easy for him."

By the time he was permitted to play, he had fallen behind the club's more experienced defenders. So Metz loaned him to La Louviere in Belgium, where he played one season. He was eager to reestablish himself at Metz, but the club had lost interest.

That's when Standard stepped in.

"It's one of my most beautiful stories," Standard technical director Michel Preud'homme, a former Belgian World Cup goalkeeper, said with a proud smile. "Everybody in Belgium sees him, but nobody makes him an offer. We thought he was a good player who could grow and reach a high level."

Besides his improving technical skills, Onyewu has helped himself with his workout regimen.

"Nobody on my team lifts weights. They think I take drugs," he said, chuckling. "They look at it as an American mentality because they didn't grow up doing it."

Now, Onyewu and 20-year-old Vincent Kompany, from rival Anderlecht, are widely regarded as the two best defenders in the 18-team league. Standard, which hasn't won the league title since 1983, leads Anderlecht by one point in the league standings with four matches remaining.

The champion will receive an automatic berth in the Champions League, a prestigious and financially lucrative competition comprising the top teams throughout Europe.

Whether Onyewu would be around for it remains unclear.

"It was already difficult to keep him at the beginning of the season," Preud'homme said. "We will see. For him, for his growth, it is better to try, if we make Champions League, to play one more year for us, to learn and to be ready to do the next step."

As his playing time has increased, so too has his popularity with Liege fans. Magazine headlines have proclaimed, in French, " Oguchi, le superstar U.S. " and " Terminator . . . Onyewu est indestructible. "

Much to his chagrin, he also appeared in the gossip columns after being spotted in public with Belgian tennis star Kim Clijsters. "It was just ridiculous," he said. "I met her at some club and, all of a sudden, we're supposed to be a couple?"

A 6-4 black man in a predominantly white country, Onyewu is easily identified when he ventures into the city after practice.

Recently, after parking his car near his favorite brasserie on the bending Boulevard de la Sauveniere, a stranger called out to him by his first name and warned him in French that the police had been towing vehicles from that spot. He thanked him and quickly moved it to a legal space.

Onyewu has grown quite comfortable in Liege, a once-gritty industrial city in the French-speaking Wallonia region, near the borders with Germany and the Netherlands, where barges still carry mounds of coal down the Meuse River.

He learned French on his own, then found a three-bedroom apartment in an upscale southern suburb and a knack for navigating his Chrysler through the city's old streets.

But like many black players in Europe, Onyewu said he also has experienced prejudice. It hasn't been a problem in Liege, where 10 nationalities and nine black players are represented on the club's diverse roster, but it has on the road.

"There are some racist teams and racist players in Belgium," he said. "One game, the fans were making monkey noises at some of our players. They just don't like foreigners. It's just ignorance. Some [opposing players] will say stupid stuff: 'You black this, black that.' And you think to yourself, 'Now what did you achieve by saying that?'

"It makes you feel like cutting the guy's head off, but you just try to control your emotions."

Has he ever retaliated?

"Oh, yeah," he said, with a sly grin, "but discreetly."

No matter where his pro career takes him, Onyewu appears to have a promising future with the U.S. team.

To measure his progress, the Americans' World Cup qualifiers against Mexico last year provided an enlightening gauge. In the first meeting, Arena decided to test his young defender with an unexpected starting assignment in one of the world's most unforgiving settings: 120,000-seat Estadio Azteca in oxygen-deprived Mexico City.

Overall he performed reasonably well, but the moment everyone will remember came in the first half when he lost track of Mexican star Jared Borgetti, who scored on a short header to spark a 2-1 victory.

Six months later in Columbus, Ohio, with a World Cup berth going to the winner, Onyewu's physical play unnerved Borgetti and helped the Americans to a 2-0 triumph.

Among the prominent clips on the U.S. Soccer Federation's highlight DVD is the stoic Onyewu staring down Borgetti as the frustrated Mexican forward yells at him. "He was saying a heap of Spanish stuff," Onyewu said. "I didn't understand a word of it, but I knew what he was thinking."

Onyewu has scored just one goal for the U.S. team, but it was a dramatic one -- an injury-time header that beat Honduras, 2-1, in the Gold Cup semifinals last summer.

But playing against CONCACAF opponents is a lot different than facing the likes of Italy and the Czech Republic, two of the Americans' opponents in the first round of he World Cup.

Is Onyewu ready for those monumental tests?

"I think so," Arena said. "He showed his inexperience at the start, but every time he came back into camp, you could see the improvement. The way you learn is to get on the field and get burned once in a while.

"He's learned from those experiences and gotten better and better."

I love it when people say they are happy that certain players have joined, despite the fact that they know virtually nothing about them. Still at least it's one additional body in a position we a desperately shot in, now all we need is just another 3 players within the next 36 hours, easy.

I love it when people say they are happy that certain players have joined, despite the fact that they know virtually nothing about them. Still at least it's one additional body in a position we a desperately shot in, now all we need is just another 3 players within the next 36 hours, easy.

Do you mean me?

Stop gap until we go back in for Davies in the summer tbh.

Whilst giving us time to decide whether its best to sign him up for nothing at the end of the season or Keep Bramble on for another year.

Although the mere fact Pearson earmarked him as a partner for Davies probably falls in his favour.

Just seen the Onyewu interview.

Apparently, we havent won any Championships for a couple of years.

Think we've been telling him porkies? Or honest mistake?

"My ambition is as big as my frame, how long since you last won something?"

"Erm, well, its been a while, you could say to.."

"Two years? Good enough for me. where do i sign?"

good bit of info from nufc.com

Stars in stripes

The arrival of Oguchi Onyewu to Tyneside means that he will become the first full USA international to play for us - but by no means the first American on our books:

Brad Friedel - Born in Lakewood, Ohio and signed by Kevin Keegan in 1994, this 'keeper was never able to appear for our first team due to our inability to gain a work permit for him.

Jimmy Crawford - although brought up in Dublin and signed by the Magpies from Bohemians in 1995, this midfielder was actually born in Chicago, Illinois.

Giuseppe Rossi - Our now-departed loan striker from last year hails from Clifton, New Jersey, although he chose to accept an U21 international callup from Italy, his father's native land.

He was confident of getting his 3 targets last summer aswell..

Still going to be severely tested and stretched if we managed to stay on in the Uefa cup. Babayaro is back training though and was in todays getty images.

Absolute madness a decent LB has not be brought in again for at least the third window in a row.

A decent striker and Gooch will do though. Unfortunately by todays statements it looks like its more of a back up striker than actual competition.

Roeder just said although little time left they are confident of bringing in a striker and he will be a very good adition to sqaud

Its probably Piquionne although i prefer Babel

same here, he just doesn't want to be here or leave the French league for that matter. Would prefer someone with a bit more enthusiasm than Mr Piquionne

Do you mean me?

Not just you personally, there are a number of people.

From the limited amount i have seen of him Piquionne looks a bit like a pacier younger version of Kanu.

Babel seems the better of the two just through potential, but I think Piquionne will add more to our season.

Guess theres always the phone call from Willie Mckay for us to look forward to tmrw, might have someone we can get in for nothing to get injured for the rest of the season.

From the limited amount i have seen of him Piquionne looks a bit like a pacier younger version of Kanu.

Babel seems the better of the two just through potential, but I think Piquionne will add more to our season.

Unfortunately Babel will cost alot of money which i dont think we have

Piquionne on the other hand we can land on loan

But when you compare the two players Babel is way better and have big talent and potencial

Dont forget that Marco Van Basten said that he is the new Anry

I dont think we have a chance with him though :-[

good bit of info from nufc.com

Stars in stripes

The arrival of Oguchi Onyewu to Tyneside means that he will become the first full USA international to play for us - but by no means the first American on our books:

Brad Friedel - Born in Lakewood, Ohio and signed by Kevin Keegan in 1994, this 'keeper was never able to appear for our first team due to our inability to gain a work permit for him.

Jimmy Crawford - although brought up in Dublin and signed by the Magpies from Bohemians in 1995, this midfielder was actually born in Chicago, Illinois.

Giuseppe Rossi - Our now-departed loan striker from last year hails from Clifton, New Jersey, although he chose to accept an U21 international callup from Italy, his father's native land.

thanks for this post, nobby, i've wondering & asking about the 1st american at NUFC for some time now.  gooch is a 1st of sorts.   and, i didn't know that jimmy crawford and i were both born in chicago! O0