Oguchi Onyewu signs on loan

KaKa

i'd say for most high-level athletes their raw intelligence isn't nearly as important as their ability to make multiple correct decisions and act on them in an instant.  that and the ability to absolutely focus on winning; not just winning a game, but winning the current moment within the game.  that requires blocking out distractions like: physical pain (playing hurt), fear of physical pain (not ducking to stop a shot with your face), crowd noise & taunting (both by hostile fans and trash talk by opposing wum's), also off field issues from one's own personal life (going through a divorce, or a very ill member of the family or even death) must be shut out while competing.

it seems to me that perhaps bramble is to fragile mentally to be able to do all of these things for 90 mins.

Guest Moe-Ali

Congratulations bulivye, youve made it to the big game, but im gonna have to go with the colts, because they beat my chiefs and i would like us to be remembered as the team that lost to the eventual champions 8)

Guest YankeeGeordie

Is Rooney intelligent?

No, its all natural, which is great when its that concentrated in one person, and of course an attacking player.

I know what you are saying, i just dont think you need to be bright to stay awake for 90 minutes.

There is no link only myth with ADHD & low IQ's is there?

I dont think there is, but maybe he has some form of that.

The link is ADD / ADHD & high Intelligence Quotients.  Many brilliant people have ADD/ADHD (either diagnosed or gone undetected until their adult years) but many learn to compensate very well, so you aren't terribly aware of it.  Tons of kids are classified as "twice exceptional", meaning they need gifted level instruction, but also require accomodations to help them deal with their ADD or ADHD.

Nice photoshop of the Gooch in black & white stripes.  Looks very good!

any news? or has this morphed into a bramble thread? :tickedoff:

;D

Definitely a triple unvailing planned. Please let the third be a decent left back.  :smitten:

triple!?!? where is that info from? good news if true, even if only to make up the numbers

Being from Belgium I know Onyewu pretty well. I think that if he were to succeed in one of the bigger leagues it would be in England cause he's physically pretty impressive. Great strength and great heading, not too slow too and scores a goal from time to time. But the problem might be that he's not always the most intelligent player. This gets him booked on regular basis and when he's being provoced he sometimes reacts in a stupid way which has seen him sent off quite a few times. I hope he can control his temper when playing for us. Although I must say that it has improved this season.

Anyway, I think Gooch will do a better job for us this season than some of the kids that have played in defense but I still have my doubts that he'd be a big hit here on the long run.

one prob with getting good physical specimens from european leagues is that their size isn't as much of an advantage in england as it has been abroad. since you're so absolutely dominant in strength or speed or whatever, you've no need to refine other elements of your game. morientes looked perfectly suited for the english league as he was a bruising old fashioned number 9 who was utterly dominant in the air in la liga. coming to the UK where every man and his dog can score diving headers, morientes found he no longer had a significant advantage over other players on the pitch.

still i can see oguchi overcoming this problem for two reasons - first is that he was really thin up until a few years ago, so it's not like he relied on size alone as he developed when younger - he must've had something else in his locker to get a move to Metz, and second is that he's a fucking monster.

any news? or has this morphed into a bramble thread? :tickedoff:

;D

Definitely a triple unvailing planned. Please let the third be a decent left back.  :smitten:

triple!?!? where is that info from? good news if true, even if only to make up the numbers

Sorry, just wishful thinking...  but you never know.

I have to say though that this bit (refering only to Onyewu) in the Journal pisses me off a bit.

"While there is still much work to do in his bid to add striking reinforcements, Roeder was last night confident his search for defensive talent was nearing an end."

I hope Roeder himself doesn't feel that way. One more central defender should only be the start of it.

I have to say though that this bit (refering only to Onyewu) in the Journal pisses me off a bit.

"While there is still much work to do in his bid to add striking reinforcements, Roeder was last night confident his search for defensive talent was nearing an end."

I hope Roeder himself doesn't feel that way. One more central defender should only be the start of it.

We hardly have any money and can only use 2 loans. I don't think we are capable of bringing anyone else in even if we wanted to.

We hardly have any money and can only use 2 loans. I don't think we are capable of bringing anyone else in even if we wanted to.

If he is 'confident his search for defensive talent was nearing an end' without picking up at least one solid left back, then surely that has to worry you.

I'm sure Roeder can see that, and hopefully this is just a case of the Journal spouting bollocks.

Don't believe it for one second, tribal football are less reliable than Christian Hayne. We are probably just waiting for clearance etc.. but as usual media sources jump on any delay to create a story.

Guest Knightrider

TT, in what way is Woodgate a natural and Bramble isn't? I'd say Bramble has more attributes than Woodgate, like pace, strength, control and passing, so if anything, for my money anyway, he's more of a natural. Woodgate isn't strong or quick, his control and passing isn't the greatest either but he does read the game well and is calm and collected - so doesn't need pace and such or not having these things doesn't effect him.

What do your base you opinion of Bramble being thick on BTW, his interviews? Again I'm not disagreeing with you here but you say you don't think Woodgate is as thick as him, based on what? I haven't heard about Bramble smashing a pint glass over his forehead, chasing Asians down the street and ending up in court, I haven't heard the rumours of liking to play in the snow where Bramble is concerned.

Nah, his IQ high or low isn't what stops him from concentrating or taking things in for me, I'd say it's a confidence thing and a mentality issue, he's mentally weak as piss and not strong enough to deal with commands, instructions, abuse, the spotlight (i.e. when he makes a mistake) or confident enough to go on and fulfil that potential he was blessed with. Not really his fault like I said and neither is it ours. I think personally it's too late in the day for him or anyone to do anything about it, it had to come in his teens very early 20s and it mostly had to come from him. I think by the time he joined us he though he'd made it and with all that money, the discipline went.

You can tell these things by injury you're less likely to recover quickly if you're mentally weak and low in confidence and Bramble is prone to the niggly injury and long layoffs that others seem to quickly recover from, or before they are meant to. I bet when he's out injured he wallows in self pitty and curses himself, just like when he makes a mistake out on the pitch. I think they call it hiding.

You dont point out things that make woodgate seem thick, you are pointing out things that make Woodgate a cock, big difference.

If he is mentally weak then there is a lot that we could do, psychologists, psychotherapists, hypnotherapists, changes in life circumstances, proper coaching etc.

Basically loan him to Arsenal and allow Wenger to get hold of him for half a season, if he cannot sort him out, im right, he's just slow to learn.  O0

The best way to learn is to teach imo, maybe we should start getting him talking to the young (i mean 9year olds) and taking coaching sessions, make him think about what it means to be a good defender. That with a Psychological review and hypnotherapy to take the edge off could help a great deal.

Intelligence to me isn't whether you can answer questions correctly or do crosswords or not, it is the actions you carry out, so in that sense Woodgate is a plank given some of the actions he has carried out, although I see where you're coming from.

Anyway I was speaking to a few of my new coaching buddies, one of them works for Charlton's community football scheme, and he says Bramble's issues are quite common with talented players and why a lot of them never fulfil their potential, and you're right, there is a lot that can be done, sports psychologists, handing said player more responsibility and getting the player more involved (like coaching, good shout) and concentrating fully on that player's strong points. Basically not make a big deal of the weaker points and work on the strong points in the hope that weak points are forgotten about so the player can concentrate more without worrying about weak points. With youth players who have concentration issues or low confidence, many coaches make them Captain of the team. Also a lot of one-to-one coaching is needed with these players outside of the group. Sadly he says a lot of clubs have no time for these players when they are adults as they are too much hard work, so they end up drifting down to the lower leagues.

The best manager for Bramble was Souness who did improve his game and spent a lot of time one-to-one with him, (including new diet and fitness methods) the result was a marked improvement and a real purple patch, however the sore point seems to be that Souness stopped working with him and Bramble went back to his old ways.

Given our history in the transfer window the longer the confirmation is taking the worse this place is going to get.

Wouldnt be the first time the window slammed shut in our face knocking our teeth out.

Its just easy to jump on the SSN rumours ship and then be gutted when we are left out at sea with the club denying them or the deals failing to materialise.

Ie: this Piquionne deal being far from SSN's reporting of him being here this morning leaving people  :tickedoff:

Toon fears on Gooch moveJan 30 2007

By Alan Oliver, The Evening Chronicle

A nervy and anxious Glenn Roeder was left sweating on his planned loan moves as the transfer window closure loomed ominously closer today.

The Newcastle United boss was still waiting to hear from Standard Liege that all the paper work has been done which would allow American international defender Oguchi "Gooch" Onyewu to come on loan to St James' Park.

And so too was "Gooch" after he travelled to Tyneside over the weekend to talk to United and undergo a medical as he yearns for the chance to pull on the black-and-white shirt.

Roeder can only hope that the Belgian outfit do not pull the plug at the last minute because they are wary that United will not sign Onyewu in a permanent deal on at the end of the season.

This is exactly the same scenario with St Etienne and their 28-year-old Martinque-born striker Frederic Piquionne who they want to sell for e7m.

As a result, I am told that while Piquionne's loan move to United is not impossible, it is highly unlikely.

And United's chances of landing the French striker receded further today with the news that Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger, having lost Robin van Persie for the rest of the season, was toying over a late move for the St Etienne man.

Meanwhile, the news coming out of Holland is that United are ready to pay £5m to bring Ajax's promising young striker Ryan Babel to Tyneside.

Babel is a player greatly admired by Roeder, but there has been no bid by United and there is absolutely no chance of the 20-year-old striker being signed before window closes tomorrow night.

There is talk about a United approach for Babel in the summer, but Roeder knows the competition will be tough. I hear the he is one of Barcelona's targets which would leave United as also-rans.

Someone who has been an also-ran ever since he arrived at St James' Park in August 2005 is Albert Luque and it looks as though the Spanish international will still be here at the start of next season.

However, United have told Luque he can go to PSV Eindhoven if he can do a deal with the Dutch club in the next 24 hours.

But PSV would only be able to pay Luque less than half of his £40,000-a-week wages he banks from United and it would be a major surprise if he decides to accept this.

Source:  icnetwork.co.uk