Frédéric Piquionne - signed for Monaco

Guest eyeball_tickler

We do know the club's financial position, just look at the books. We have no money or are seriously in the red, same thing. You can argue about the coming windfall next season but I'd imagine the club would like to hangfire before spending that as we may not even make Europe next season. If we had money, we'd have made a money panic buy by now, going on past experience.

rot.....we were massivly in debt when signign owen and martins,debt doesn't matter,it's managing that debt that matters,get a mortgage and find out.on the second part i agree but not so much cos of europe ,more that the prices being bandied about for certain players are ridiculous and when some clubs stay where they are or get relegated those prices will be adjusted.

Some decent stuff from this <a href="http://icnewcastle.icnetwork.co.uk/newcastleunited/journalsport/tm_headline=safety-first-for-roeder%26method=full%26objectid=18554318%26siteid=50081-name_page.html">article</a> in the Journal this morning regarding Piquionne, from Roeder...

"It's getting late in the day," said a manager who remains keen to add a striker to his depleted first-team squad. "I know we're cutting it fine but I'm still hopeful we can get someone else in. We're still working hard, but it is touch and go. It might be more touch than go at the minute. But I won't give up until the deadline has passed."

Discussions are ongoing with Saint-Etienne, whose 28-year-old forward Frederic Piquionne remains an active target. Roeder was last night reluctant to debate specific details and said: "If you want a player to come here, the less you make of it, the better chance you have."

But, when pressed on Piquionne, he relented and admitted: "He would be a player I would like here. There are other clubs in for him at the moment, but I would like to think he would prefer to come here rather than go elsewhere in the Premiership. He would play games if he came here."

French sources are adamant the stumbling block is Piquionne's club's reluctance to let him leave without a firm commitment that a £5m permanent transfer will follow in the summer, although Roeder last night insisted a deal with the same structure as that which brought Onyewu to Tyneside was a possibility and there is hope, albeit slim, that an agreement could be imminent.

"It would be a loan with a view (to a permanent transfer), it would be exactly the same (as the Onyewu) deal," he said. "Then there is an option depending on how well the player does. It's the perfect world and that's why it's so hard to secure. You know you're going to be sending some players back on the day you sign them (on loan). But this lad (Onyewu), and maybe the other lad (Piquionne), I would hope we would want to take (on a permanent basis) because they have done so well."

Interesting reading.

that's all

A reliable source in France tells us that the Frederic Piquionne saga is close to an end. The Lens striker is, as we speak, having a medical at Monaco.

from eurosport

that's all

A reliable source in France tells us that the Frederic Piquionne saga is close to an end. The Lens striker is, as we speak, having a medical at Monaco.

from eurosport

Interesting, he plays for st etienne

Monaco have won the race to sign St Etienne's in-demand forward Frederic Piquionne.

The forward has been targeted by a clutch of sides around Europe this month, as the likes of Lyon, Paris Saint Germain, West Ham, Tottenham and Real Betis have all held more than a passing interest in the striker.

Newcastle attempted to thrash out a loan deal at the start of the week, but they have all been beaten to the punch by Monaco.

The Principality side have agreed a loan deal with Les Verts until the end of the season and have also secured an option to push through a permanent transfer in the summer.

Piquionne will be paraded before the media on Thursday morning, but his first impression of the club is positive.

"I am very happy to have signed," he noted. "There was much stress in these last hours but I have a great desire to achieve great things here.

so thats that

Issnt it on the same deal we wanted him on? Loan with a view to make it permanent? Massive screwup (again) if true.

I'm not saying that we've had a good transfer window, but there's no shame in being beaten to a signing by Monaco - one of the biggest clubs in France. For all we know he might have wanted to stay in France, or avoided paying taxes on his income, or any number of other reasons - to call missing out on him to Monaco a "massive screwup" on our part without knowing anything of the details is frankly ridiculous. It's not like we lost out to an inferior club...