Frédéric Piquionne - signed for Monaco

Guest eyeball_tickler

I don't know too much about the guy but I have noticed a few people knock him because he is 28. Not all players have to be young starlets to be good for us. A bit of experience could help.

As I said I don't know too much about him so he could be shite, his record is not great either. But I feel it is unfair to judge him on age!

Well, it's a player isn't it.

That record is shite and it's hardly as if he's a whippersnapper.

Dyer---Martins all the way.

Dyer's record is shit and he isn't a whippersnapper either.

My point being that the Dyer-Martins combo has already proven to be a good partnership - producing goals and causing danger.

Not especially displeased with the Piquionne signing - i just hope he hasn't been brought here to be Martins strike partner.

As others have said... it's decent cover and better than the likes of Sibierski/Luque. I've really fallen for the Dyer-Martins partnership, though, and i feel there is no need changing it. A, because it works, and B, Dyer appears incapable of effecting a game from a midfield position anymore.

Agree 100%.

Martins/Dyer is a partnership that has been proved that it works as we look dangerous as soon as we're attacking. Don't want to mess that up.

Is true, but in the second half of the spurs game coming forward as Sibbers, Martins and Dyer we actually always looked like scoring. Replace Sibbers with someone better and maybe we can manage the whole game!

That said it would mean reverting to Dyer as an AM again as mentioned above, but having options like that is what we want and need.

If we get this player in and some bodies back from injury we have enough talent to play alot of different combinations to suit the teams we are playing.

Toontownman...

Notice how we scored our two second half goals when Dyer advanced into a more attacking position.

Dyer was playing far too deep for the first half and part of the second, and it was being played up to Sibierski all the time - who was doing nowt for Martins. Dyer advanced and hey presto.

Said Piquionne (translated from French): I’m being taken for a slave that hasn’t got the right to give his opinion. I want to go to a big club. Today, Lyon has shown interest. Who wouldn’t want to go to Lyon?

Aren't St. Étienne  and Lyon bitter rivals?  Something like Spurs and Arsenal?

Said Piquionne : I’m being taken for a slave at Tottenham that hasn’t got the right to give his opinion. I want to go to a big club. Today, Arsenal has shown interest. Who wouldn’t want to go to Arsenal?

More than likely a vast improvement on Sibierski and will cost very little!

He's 28 years old, he has only scored 40 goals in his entire career and has achieved absolutely nothing; i doubt he's a 'vast improvement' on Ameobi, nevermind the relatively impressive Sibierski.

He's 28 years old, he has only scored 40 goals in his entire career and has achieved absolutely nothing; i doubt he's a 'vast improvement' on Ameobi, nevermind the relatively impressive Sibierski.

Because Le Sib has always been a goal machine? Not all striker score huge amounts of goals, when Bellamy was with us he was never really prolific but he offered a lot more to the team than goals. Not saying this lad is going to be the same but to write him off as a good player because he hasnt scored a shed load of goals is a bit blinkered! I bet Kevin Davies hasnt scored that many goals in his career but he is a key player for Bolton.

Because Le Sib has always been a goal machine? Not all striker score huge amounts of goals, when Bellamy was with us he was never really prolific but he offered a lot more to the team than goals. Not saying this lad is going to be the same but to write him off as a good player because he hasnt scored a shed load of goals is a bit blinkered! I bet Kevin Davies hasnt scored that many goals in his career but he is a key player for Bolton.

Nobody is writing him off ffs, they are simply highlighting/dissapointed by the fact that he does not have a great goal scoring record. A trait we are desparate for in the striking department.

Nobody is writing him off ffs, they are simply highlighting/dissapointed by the fact that he does not have a great goal scoring record. A trait we are desparate for in the striking department.

And what loan striker did we believe would ever have a "great" goalscoring record?

And what loan striker did we believe would ever have a "great" goalscoring record?

You what? I haven't the faintest fannying clue 'what loan striker did we believe would ever have a "great" goalscoring record', but that doesn't prevent people hoping we might add a goal scorer to our ranks.

You did grasp the point that nobody can argue with this as a loan deal, nobody is writing him off, nobody is having a go at his love of Jazz, and that people pointing out facts (that he averages 1 goal in 5 in the French league) if anything lessens the chance that idiots jump on him if he doesn't set the world on fire.

Toontownman...

Notice how we scored our two second half goals when Dyer advanced into a more attacking position.

Dyer was playing far too deep for the first half and part of the second, and it was being played up to Sibierski all the time - who was doing nowt for Martins. Dyer advanced and hey presto.

Aye. Thats why he might well work just behind the front two. This of course means Dropping two of Emre, Butt and Parker though, but its great to have the options where ever he plays.

Guest Knightrider

This player, whoever he is, must be better equipped than Sibbers (pace, legs) who has done remarkably well himself, so he'll do for me, this French lad. On loan we can't grumble. His record isn't great but how many goalscorers are available on loan anyway? None, clubs don't even want to sell never mind loan out. I'll be happy with this fella, the Yank and a left-back please Mr Roeder - all on loan would be even better as we don't have the money to spend just yet and we don't want to buy another Boumsong, players on loan allows us to say, thanks, but no thanks at the end of the season.

Guest Knightrider

People need to accept the situation.

1 - we have no money

2 - we are useless in the transfer market

3 - there are no goalscorers available for sale

4 - even if there were, we don't have the money anyway (see 2)

5 - a loan deal allows us to take a look and be in control of the deal, if he does well, great, if not, he goes back to where he came from

Any fucker at this stage is a welcome addition as far as I'm concerned, if they have legs, know what a football looks like, are fit and ready to play, bring them in. Beggars can't be choosers.

Guest Knightrider

I really want 'this' deal to not happen.

I'd rather this deal went through than the Babel one as he would cost money and may well flop or take a good while to settle. Of course so may this French lad flop and take time to settle, but least he won't be standing us anything and we won't be spending money we don't really have.

Who is to say we arent trying to get them both?

We wanted 2 strikers initially, Id say we are trying for Piquionne and then if somehow we manage to get Babel we will take him too.

That said im sure we will be told tmrw by anal neither are targets.

Guest Knightrider

Who is to say we arent trying to get them both?

We wanted 2 strikers initially, Id say we are trying for Piquionne and then if somehow we manage to get Babel we will take him too.

That said im sure we will be told tmrw by anal neither are targets.

I'd say bring the French lad in on loan, drop interest in Babel, and buy that Argentinian fella for £2.7m and if we can, get in a LB. Easier said than done of course but this interest in Babel is baffling (well not really as THIS is Newcastle we are talking about) but do we need any more youngsters, especially in forward positions? Having said all that, if we do end up signing Babel, he's an extra forward and that isn't a bad thing to have so from that angle, I wouldn't be too disappointed, just a bit puzzled.

Indeed, HTT...

If we sign Babel (doubtful, i know, but we don't appear to have dropped interest) and Piquionne does well - next season we'll have an attack line up of:

Martins

Owen

Babel

Ameobi

Piquionne

Sibierski

Dyer

I'd be content with...

Martins

Owen

Ameobi

Dyer

Sibierski

TBH. There's nowt wrong with our strike squad. Well, not next season anyway. Glenn's right to be simply going after a stop-gap until the end of the season. I can't say that Piquionne was my initial choice,  ;) , but he'll do.