Roeders transferpolicy is right

bodson

The more I read about Roeders policy in the transfermarket the more convinced I get, he is right!

We should know that its not easy. Money isnt the answer if you want to succeed in the transfermarket, scouting is key. Today Roeder says that his rolemodel as a coach and in the transfermarket is Arsene Wenger, that makes me really hopefull.

Look at all our expensive flops like Luque, Boumsong, Viana, Marcelino...   

Compare this to Wengers bargains,,  Vieira, Henry, Anelka, Ljungberg, Toure, Eboue..

Let Roeder do things his way and we will be fantastic in 3 years time.

/B

I like the cautious approach but when he comes out and blames lack of signings because he had a game on deadline day makes him look silly. He has spent most of September - December saying that we have got a small squad and not enough numbers, he should have identified his preferred targets during that time and then sounded out the clubs, then if they fail he should have had a back up plan.

Little things have annoyed me like saying about he could sign loads of 30 year olds. Do you think for a minute that Chris Coleman thinks that Montella is the long term answer to turn Fulham around, no way Montella is there to boost them this season and to make sure of their Premiership survival. We have a realistic chance of qualifying for Europe but not with the injuries that we have, if we had short term options to cover injuries then that would be great.

I don't know much about Gooch but he has been talked up well and is young. I think we have done the right thing there, see him on loan with a view to buy, I like this policy and applaud Roeder for that, but he has been very naive in the transfer market. He knocks the merits of the more mature players yet HIS signing of Sibs may have saved his job at the start of the season.

The more I read about Roeder's policy in the transfermarket the more convinced I get, he is right!

Which is to do the exact opposite of everything he tells the press/fans?

We should know that its not easy. Money isnt the answer if you want to succeed in the transfermarket, scouting is key.

<cliche>still scouting Dirk Kuyt?</cliche> or does he prefer listening to a certain group of people he holds in high regard now?

Today Roeder says that his rolemodel as a coach and in the transfermarket is Arsene Wenger, that makes me really hopefull.

Read point number one.

Guest nyscooby

Scouting will get us no where if sibs abd martins get a slight injury, no where but the championship!

We need bums on seats, even just temporary to see us through.

And if we rely on Matty Pattinson and his acadamy pals we knackered.

The more I read about Roeders policy in the transfermarket the more convinced I get, he is right!

We should know that its not easy. Money isnt the answer if you want to succeed in the transfermarket, scouting is key. Today Roeder says that his rolemodel as a coach and in the transfermarket is Arsene Wenger, that makes me really hopefull.

Compare this to Wengers bargains,,  Vieira, Henry, Anelka, Ljungberg, Toure, Eboue..

/B

Yeah, and I'm going to model myself on Al Pacino and make it big in Hollywood.  It doesn't matter that he is immensely more talented than I am.

You can't really compare our bad transfers with Wenger's good transfers (BTW, think Fabregas should be mentioned really).  Surely, you should compare our good with his good or our bad with his bad?

His bad are Jeffers, Pennant, Wright, (pretty much any time he's bought an English player), etc.  Although his good far outweigh his bad TBF.

He is World class at what he does, Roeder, for all his desire to copy, is not World class, or even international class.

Guest Gemmill

Let's see eh?  He talks a good game, but it's all very well talking like that when you've fucked up in two successive transfer windows.  If he makes it a hat-trick in the summer and comes out with the "The players of the quality I wanted just weren't available" line, will people be prepared to buy it again?

Roeder is just a walking contradiction, he says he wants to buy player who will improve the first 11, will be here for the future and not panic buys then he gets Sibierski and Rossi.

As others have said, how many times is he going to use the excuse that players of the quality he wants weren't available? We have had 2 transfer windows and signed 1 player who is good enough, one who can hopefully get back to his best that can be good enough and one who is very unproven (gooch). That is all NOT good enough, there have been players who have moved in these transfer windows who clearly are good enough to improve our team so there really isnt an excuse although im sure people will find one.

/B

you better hope that it is that side of Wenger's signings that he's looking at copying and not Jeffers, Wright, Hleb, Reyes, Wiltord, Van Bronkhorst etc etc  ;)

At the end of the day, Roeder and Newcastle need to find their own way more than anything right now (as all clubs do). Sure look at other examples, but just having one 'rolemodel' is silly. Wenger has been at Arsenal for 10+ years, this has taken time to build up and contrary to popular belief - it's cost an awful lot of money for them to do so. And again contrary to popular belief, the 'kids' thing has only really taken effect strongly in recent times - because it is something that took ages to bring to fruition. Do people here have the patience to wait that long? I really doubt it.

Let's see eh?  He talks a good game, but it's all very well talking like that when you've fucked up in two successive transfer windows.  If he makes it a hat-trick in the summer and comes out with the "The players of the quality I wanted just weren't available" line, will people be prepared to buy it again?

He's just about getting away with it while we're still in the UEFA and still within touching distance of the top-six in the Premiership. That Birmingham game is obviously the major blot on his copybook of late - as we looked jaded and out of it for the whole 90 minutes, mainly because the same core of players had played in every single match for weeks/months on end, but other than that he's done relatively well with what he's had available to him.

If we get knocked out of Europe by Waregem then I suppose things could easily turn nasty again and anything less than a top-ten finish is obviously going to raise a lot of eyebrows (top-seven in my view), but you see there are people who will simply be appeased by the "we've had loads of injuries" line, when really we all knew Shola and Owen were paggered before the season kicked-off, not to mention that a lot of people could safely predict some sort of injury "crisis" within the club, again... and the fact that we started this season with only 6 senior defenders, two of whom are the widely-detested/incredibly injury-prone Babayaro and Carr, one of whom is Titus Bramble (who also gets his share of knocks) and the other two barely could be classed as "senior" either, Taylor and Ramage - I'd completely forgotton about Craig Moore as well, who is surely as injury prone as Jonathan Woodgate, not to mention him being half the player. Wasn't Taylor injured as well for the start of the campaign? We did get Bernard in to make it 7... I suppose...

If we don't qualify for Europe again then Roeder/Shepherd do deserve some form of a slap, as the blame will rest squarely with the pair of them. Because, at the end of the day we finished 7th last season after enduring Souness for much of it, why should we finish lower this term? If we think the financial situation is bad now, I dread to think what it would be like after another year without any continental football (thanks Graeme :thup:).

Wenger is the best manager in the league IMO all things considered; not a bad model to set your sights on. Agree with Rafa though, lose five games in a row and Roeder will probably be sacked.

I doubt we will manage to sign Davies,Crouch,Ferdinand especially if some of the big 4 clubs wants to signs them

If we didnt sign them now i dont know why Roeder thinks he will manage to do it in the summer

Good policy, Stozo. I have to say those Journal articles this morning is the most sense I've heard from Shepherd and Roeder perhaps ever - it made for very pleasant reading. If we can keep in with this apparent "plan", while maintaining good league placings and (hopefully) European qualification, then it should stand us in very good stead for the next few years. It is frustrating to be lower down than we were under Keegan/Robson, but that's life, no football club has a divine right to be at the top forever. Granted, we might have done a lot of things wrong along the way - probably more than most of the other "big" clubs - but if Roeder can get us into the UEFA Cup again next season then, along with the new TV money, we should be able to bring in some very good players.

It's interesting to note how Shepherd says that there was money available, which is something I've maintained all along - it was proven by the fact we made a definitive offer for Ryan Babel towards the end of the transfer window. There does seem to be money there for the right players, and if it takes until summer to get some of them, then so be it.

However, if we start next season without bringing in a new (and decent) right-back and left-back, then my patience will begin to wane further. It's all well-and-good to say we're waiting for the "right" players, but as NUFC06 sort of said, who's to say they will instantly become available in June/July/August?

However, I can't imagine Chelsea, Arsenal or Man Utd wanting to sign Peter Crouch, for some reason. Even though I rate him, to a degree. I also don't imagine Liverpool will sell him if he keeps playing as he has been lately.

The most worrying thing i notice about Roeder's comments and list of players he wants to sign is that there are only CB and never mentioned about LB!!!

Maybe he thinks that this position is sorted?? :idiot2: :idiot2:

The most worrying thing i notice about Roeder's comments and list of players he wants to sign is that there are only CB and never mentioned about LB!!!

Maybe he thinks that this position is sorted?? :idiot2: :idiot2:

Roeder didnt say who his targets were.

you better hope that it is that side of Wenger's signings that he's looking at copying and not Jeffers, Wright, Hleb, Reyes, Wiltord, Van Bronkhorst etc etc  ;)

Wouldnt say Hleb, Reyes, Wiltord or Van Bronkhorst were failures tbh. They just didnt measure up to his other successes. Wiltord especially was a crucial part of the team during his time there.

Jeffers and Wright were outright failures though, no surprises with them being english. Another peculiar buy was Cygan, supposedly the french Jaap Stam.  :o

Roeder is right on this one I'm afraid. I can't believe people are complaining about what we did in the transfer window last summer!!!

First of all there was a lot of uncertainty last summer and so it was always going to be difficult for us to get all the players we needed to. Don't forget Roeder had only been in the job a few months, and even then his position wasn't that stable due to the fact we still had to contest his appointment due to the badges issue. He hadn't had a chance to set up his staff or a scouting network or anything of the sort!

To make things even more difficult a freakin' world cup was taking place and this in my opinion was a huge hinderance, as things essentially couldn't get going till the competition was over.

So here we are now. He has said he has a number of players in mind, but it just so happens their clubs weren't willing to let them go in January and due to the alternatives being so much lesser he has decided to wait till the summer, which will be his first real summer transfer window! If he fails this summer then and only then do we have any reason to doubt the man.

Oh yeah.....

Can people stop going on about how Sibierski contradicts his transfer policy!!! Roeder said Sibierski was a player he was familiar with even during his time in the French league so Roeder knew him well. He was also a free transfer, on low wages, who was happy to take a one year deal, and who had a great attitude and was happy o be a squad player! I doubt many of the players offered to us at the end of the window would have come with these terms!

Roeder's biggest test will be this summer......until then please hold your horses!

On the whole he has done nothing wrong. We are in a decent, if not ideal, position in the league despite the craziness at this club over the last few seasons. I can also see clear progress in the way we play football, despite missing a lot of our quality players!

Patience......

We have a left back who hardly ever plays, we have a left back who was said would not be fit this season. We have had academy right footed centre halfs playing LB, we have had a RB playing LB we have had a LW play LB. Surely there is someone out there onloan that could improve our LB position for 6 months thats my biggest gripe we were desperate for a LB. No matter how many positives can be taken from some of Glenns comments IMO a left back was a priority.

Im sorry but the excuses don't wash, if this uncertainty was a problem I doubt we would have got Duff and Martins, if the world cup was a problem I doubt other clubs would have got decent players in.

2 transfer windows and one player we can be sure will improve the team, not good enough.

Im sorry but the excuses don't wash, if this uncertainty was a problem I doubt we would have got Duff and Martins, if the world cup was a problem I doubt other clubs would have got decent players in.

2 transfer windows and one player we can be sure will improve the team, not good enough.

Agreed.

Guest Gemmill

Roeder is right on this one I'm afraid. I can't believe people are complaining about what we did in the transfer window last summer!!!

First of all there was a lot of uncertainty last summer and so it was always going to be difficult for us to get all the players we needed to. Don't forget Roeder had only been in the job a few months, and even then his position wasn't that stable due to the fact we still had to contest his appointment due to the badges issue. He hadn't had a chance to set up his staff or a scouting network or anything of the sort!

To make things even more difficult a freakin' world cup was taking place and this in my opinion was a huge hinderance, as things essentially couldn't get going till the competition was over.

So here we are now. He has said he has a number of players in mind, but it just so happens their clubs weren't willing to let them go in January and due to the alternatives being so much lesser he has decided to wait till the summer, which will be his first real summer transfer window! If he fails this summer then and only then do we have any reason to doubt the man.

Oh yeah.....

Can people stop going on about how Sibierski contradicts his transfer policy!!! Roeder said Sibierski was a player he was familiar with even during his time in the French league so Roeder knew him well. He was also a free transfer, on low wages, who was happy to take a one year deal, and who had a great attitude and was happy o be a squad player! I doubt many of the players offered to us at the end of the window would have come with these terms!

Roeder's biggest test will be this summer......until then please hold your horses!

On the whole he has done nothing wrong. We are in a decent, if not ideal, position in the league despite the craziness at this club over the last few seasons. I can also see clear progress in the way we play football, despite missing a lot of our quality players!

Patience......

:lol:  You can't really think like that, do you?  I love the fact that you think that Sibierski was anything other than a last minute panic effort as the skidmarks accumulated in Roeder's kegs on deadline day.  And that you buy into the World Cup excuse.  How did that get in the way of our transfer dealings exactly? 

You're right about one thing though - this summer is going to be a huge test for him.  Given how he's acquitted himself the last two times he's been required to sign players, I don't hold out much hope.  I fully expect that August 31, 2007 will be as disappointing and frustrating as the same date in 2006.