Gooch

Cajun

Looks a solid player, although a fair few defenders have done so for us before turning into utter shiite.

Like Boumsong to begin with

I thought Boomshite was shaky against Yeading, and never recovered from there on.

Definitely think the lad is worth the risk.

I don't think he counts as a risk.

he is a risk in the sense that if he plays well till the end of the season and we hope that we can let bramble go or moore (if he goes down hill) and then he turns to be crap we wont buy someone else in the summer for that position. But i dont feel that will happen so fair play to the lad Gooch has seen the ups and downs from us already a shaky but winning performance against mon villa and then the poor performance against smug colemans fulham

What is the situation in regards to signing him? Is he free at the end of the season or do we agree a fee?

I'm sure a fee was mentioned somewhere, it might have been £1.75 million or something like that.

Well even if he is average he is an improvement and £1.75m is worth that.

totally agree even if he just turns out to be average would keep him as a squad player with brambles future in his own hands and moore really wanting to leave gooch is only 24 so there is plenty of seasons left in him.

totally agree even if he just turns out to be average would keep him as a squad player with brambles future in his own hands and moore really wanting to leave gooch is only 24 so there is plenty of seasons left in him.

better than offering Bambi a new contract on 30k a week or whatever he's been on

better than offering Bambi a new contract on 30k a week or whatever he's been on

this is what i hate about us even if bramble does manage to go on a run of top performances looking solid and then we give him a longer improved contract say 2/3 years. We as fans know he is never going to be error free so garenteed he would only end up getting injured or dropping off or lunging in once a game. Give the lad a higher squad number and tell him to sit in the back of the que and be happy we are keeping him on or ship him out.

Guest VeeDeeB

What is the situation in regards to signing him? Is he free at the end of the season or do we agree a fee?

he's out of contract with Liege ,so I'm sure they would've stipulated in the contract that we pay a fee if we sign him in the summer on a permanent basis

Not correct.  Standard gave him his transfer to Newcastle and they renewed his contract untill 2009 so they receive a fee when it gets permanent.  But Standard promised to work on a transfer for him at the end of the season, so he can leave for a reasonable fee.

he's out of contract with Liege ,so I'm sure they would've stipulated in the contract that we pay a fee if we sign him in the summer on a permanent basis

Not correct.  Standard gave him his transfer to Newcastle and they renewed his contract untill 2009 so they receive a fee when it gets permanent.  But Standard promised to work on a transfer for him at the end of the season, so he can leave for a reasonable fee.

interesting, I stand corrected then

He was a little bit shaky in the air, although it was against McBride.

For 89 minutes, Bramble was the better player throughout, although Onyewu did well enough, and passed the ball around well.

but, and i'm asking here as i didn't see the match, he didn't do anything damnable right?  he played a decent match for a debut, yeah?

For 89 minutes, Bramble was the better player throughout, although Onyewu did well enough, and passed the ball around well.

for the lads first game im just glad he wasnt sitting on his arse for 90 mins totally out paced or sent off inside 20 mins cause he made one hell of a bad tackle or gave away a penalty. Being composed and simple is all you want for your first game lets hope that once we deside who to play him with he can go from strength to strength.

yeah, so it sounds a decent debut then.   :)

It was. Made a few good challenges, didn't do anything stupid, not at fault for either goal. I'd like to see how he does partnered with Taylor as well, but he and Bramble made a pretty good central pairing, for the most part.

I felt there were a couple of moments reminiscent of Taylor's debut against Bolton when he allowed himself to be outmuscled out of an aerial challenge. Another ref might have let McBride off, and Fulham would have scored. Although to be fair, McBride is meant to be the strongest striker in the Prem.

Surely gooch should have known all about mcbrides aerial prowess?

Hope he had a good performance. Just got back from work but i'm guessing taylor was left back and Carr right back? How anyone could leave Nobby out for Carr is beyond me.

Suprised he looked shaky in the air, thats the one place I was confident he would be good in!

For such a big man, he looked a tad lightweight in the air. Not dominating at all when you would think hed be, but also pretty easily shoved aside - although he managed to get freekicks whenever brushed aside

However, hes probably had one full training session, and its his first game in a competitive league. Would be silly to try to assess him at this point in time.

Surely gooch should have known all about mcbrides aerial prowess?

Hope he had a good performance. Just got back from work but i'm guessing taylor was left back and Carr right back? How anyone could leave Nobby out for Carr is beyond me.

Carr was at left back.

Knowing about someone's aerial prowess isn't enough to prevent it.

but, and i'm asking here as i didn't see the match, he didn't do anything damnable right?  he played a decent match for a debut, yeah?

Bramble when playing well will look better than most defenders because hes physically perfect for defending. An agile hippo.