Nigeria threaten to report Newcastle and Chelsea

JH

Nigeria threaten Premiership duo 

By Ibrahim Sannie, BBC Sport

Nigeria have threatened to report Newcastle and Chelsea to Fifa if they do not release their players for Tuesday's friendly against Ghana.

Newcastle manager Glenn Roeder says Obafemi Martins is tired while Chelsea say Mikel Jon Obi has a thigh injury.

But Nigeria Football Association (NFA) vice-chairman Amanze Uchegbulam told BBC Sport: "This is a friendly on a Fifa approved date.

"Therefore we have the rights to our players on Tuesday."

Uchegbulam has made it clear that the Nigerian FA will report both clubs if they do not release their respective players.

"The excuse being given is that the players are injured," added Uchegbulam.

"Even if that is the case Fifa regulations say that the players should report to their national team for assessment by the national team doctors.

"Until our medical team declare any player unfit we insist that we will report any club that fails to release our players.

"We think it is unfair to Nigeria and in the interest of the good relationship we have with these clubs our players should be released immediately."

Newcastle were hoping to persuade Martins to put club before country as they face Liverpool in the Premiership on Saturday.

Roeder is asking his 10-goal leading scorer not to play knowing an injury could severely affect his club.

"It is only a friendly and Nigeria cannot insist on Oba playing, and because he has had so much football this season, I will be asking him not to play against Ghana," Roeder said last week.

"He has already played nearly 30 games for us - he has probably played more matches this season than at any time in his career.

"He is a great lad and I am sure he will understand the situation because we are a bit thin on the ground for strikers and we do not want the risk of losing him."

Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho said Mikel picked up an injury in the 1-0 win over Charlton.

"A young kid of 19, playing five consecutive matches, running 12 kilometres a game, of course the boy is a little tired and he felt a little pain," said Mourinho.

"We have to scan it, but experience says he has a little muscular problem and for the next 15 days, he is out of competition."

The friendly takes place at Brentford's Griffin Park ground in London.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/africa/6330011.stm

Pathetic if you ask me. It's only a friendly, why do Nigeria care so much?

Whats more pathetic is  that Glenn and Mourinho are lying in order to keep Martins and Mikel

Nigeria have every right to play them,even if its a friendly ,and we should release them

If they do get injured thats a diffrent story..

Isnt this a Derby of sorts? Therefore there will be heavier tackles and alot more agression than in anormal friendly. Massive risk of Injury.

Its up to the players. If Martins really wants to, Roeder should let him.

But roeder should give him a "We need you" speach to make him think about whats best for nufc...

I Agree... it's up to Martin... and if martin have to play at friendly... hope roeder can warn him to avoid injury as much as possible... Don't rush yourself Martin it's only friendly!

Whats more pathetic is  that Glenn and Mourinho are lying in order to keep Martins and Mikel

Nigeria have every right to play them,even if its a friendly ,and we should release them

If they do get injured thats a diffrent story..

Isnt this a Derby of sorts? Therefore there will be heavier tackles and alot more agression than in anormal friendly. Massive risk of Injury.

Yes i know,but the total risk of him getting injured in small (I.E the guy is a powerhorse)

but as i said,if he does get injured,we will have something to use against  the nigerian FA for the next 4-5 years.whenver they want to call any of our players

Also,i think they will be forced to pay us good money if he is injured..

Also,i think they will be forced to pay us good money if he is injured..

But we can't put money on the pitch against Liverpool on Saturday can we?

We could put a line of coke on the grass if Fowler is playing.

I'll be well fucked off if he gets injured, and would be disappointed if he plays, but that doesn't mean we can withdraw him. Surely we could come to some sort of agreement whereby he plays 45mins at most?

Everyone used to right fucking whinge when Fergie tried to take players out of the England squad  :lol:

Nigeria have every right to expect to play him, every other country play friendlies.  He's got as much right to play for his country as Parker and Dyer have a right to play for England.

Arguably even more right, as HE is actually international class.

You must be pleased Dyer's been called up for England? Another chance to 'fuck himself right up' eh?

Nigeria have every right to expect to play him, every other country play friendlies.  He's got as much right to play for his country as Parker and Dyer have a right to play for England.

You must be pleased Dyer's been called up for England? Another chance to 'fuck himself right up' eh?

http://www.newcastle-online.com/nufcforum/index.php?topic=35205.msg700050#msg700050

http://www.newcastle-online.com/nufcforum/index.php?topic=35205.msg700050#msg700050

Cheers Dave, hadn't seen that. Had seen the sig though.

I have to say I've got a very different perspective than most people here - and in my opinion anyone objecting to Oba playing for Nigeria should speak to Sepp Blatter, not the Nigerian FA.

You see, I also come from a minnow nation with very few international class players. Australia can field maybe 6-8 players worthy of the name, and those players are under intense pressure to wriggle out of international commitments. David O' Bleary was a master of it, using the press to intimidate Viduka and Kewell into relinquishing their duty. Indeed, my pathological hatred of Kewell began when he regularly pulled the "broken nail" routine to avoid playing for his nation.

Similarly, Nigeria have few star players, so when they play they want every single one available. It's a friendly, so what? As a predominantly European board, you guys have a fundamentally different view on the importance of international friendlies. Lets not forget that the Nigerian FA has already compromised by playing the match in London (as do Australia), so as to minimise travel time and ensure that better facilities, pitches and access to medical treatment is available.

Under the current system, FIFA mandates that players must be available - don't criticise the member nations for following this edict. Complain to Sepp!

You must be pleased Dyer's been called up for England? Another chance to 'what a sandwich!! himself right up' eh?

I want what's best for my club/country, same as anyone. I just don't think Dire fits that bill for either in the medium/long term. And as an individual, i think he is a loathsome little cnut. My prerogative.