Football pet hates

Guest JonnyRogers

Transfer windows. World would be a better place without them, players can move at any time but only after 3 years of contract has expired or exceptional circumstances or something.

Indeed. Transfer windows were a daft idea. Under what premise were they first conceived? Was it some bullshit about helping the 'smaller clubs'?

Remember one of the biggest 'benefits' being that flush clubs couldn't just go out and splash money at the first sign of trouble, wasn't it? Aye, great help, that. :lol:

Transfer windows. World would be a better place without them, players can move at any time but only after 3 years of contract has expired or exceptional circumstances or something.

Indeed. Transfer windows were a daft idea. Under what premise were they first conceived? Was it some bullshit about helping the 'smaller clubs'?

Allardyce said in his Standard column the other day it was introduced in this country to ensure we were in line with the rest of Europe.

I think that would have happened anyway with the Champions League/oil money that's came in. Only difference is that at least now it's restricted to one month during the season and the summer. I think it's far better now. Imagine this place if we had until the end of March like it used to be where our players were linked to everyone. :lol:

Transfer windows are good. Means managers have to do some coaching instead of relying on the chequebook, squads stay together for most of the season, and clubs can't buy their way out of trouble with a few games to go. Plus no bullshit speculation all year round.

Why would it be better if we couldn't relax on feb 1st but had to put up with constant speculation and players leaving at any moment in the season?

Transfer windows are good. Means managers have to do some coaching instead of relying on the chequebook, squads stay together for most of the season, and clubs can't buy their way out of trouble with a few games to go. Plus no bullshit speculation all year round.

Why would it be better if we couldn't relax on feb 1st but had to put up with constant speculation and players leaving at any moment in the season?

I'd agree with this.

We'd have to put up with transfer speculation from droopyface for the whole season.  At least this way, it's restricted to January.

All the speculation around Ba now would have been happening in October. Clubs would struggle to keep any player who hit form.

It only used to work because clubs didn't have much money and the playing field was more even.

I'd agree with this.

We'd have to put up with transfer speculation from droopyface for the whole season.  At least this way, it's restricted to January.

Personally think there should be one window from season closing up until July... Season tickets then sold July-Aug... so fans know what they are getting that season for their money... Manager can only move during this window also... No loan deals allowed for top flight teams at all... First team squad of 22... All available for a match day squad... Any injuries then club must blood there own players from their youth teams...

Guest Roger Kint

Spurs changing their tv camera to some really low level pitchside camera where you can't see as much. Why?

They are using the 3D level views, remember ITV had to use them last season during he Real Madrid home game iirc.

The media's fascination with hyping players to nausiating levels. The latest with promoting Thierry Henry to Messi status, asking managers how they will cope with him playing against them.........wtf they would rather face Henry then RVP, tossers.

While he's going to to be disappointing, not anywhere close to his old level, and the media has been a bit nauseating on it, there's something sentimental about Henry returning to Arsenal, something a bit different from the normal cold hard financial profiteering of usual transfer window guff. Football needs more silly transfers not less.

Guest Roger Kint

While he's going to to be disappointing, not anywhere close to his old level, and the media has been a bit nauseating on it, there's something sentimental about Henry returning to Arsenal, something a bit different from the normal cold hard financial profiteering of usual transfer window guff. Football needs more silly transfers not less.

Heard on the radio that he was shouting 'I am the King' or something when he scored, always did seem to play more for himself than Arsenal. Loans like this are a pisstake really, Arsenal shouldnt need to do a 6 week loan as cover(Villa either tbh)

part sentimental but I also have the opinion its one big ego trip for Henry himself

Remember one of the biggest 'benefits' being that flush clubs couldn't just go out and splash money at the first sign of trouble, wasn't it? Aye, great help, that. :lol:

Well, yeah, it is. I know they're annoying in as much as the media go bonkers and everybody just makes shit up for a month (or a summer) but I much prefer them to a free-for-all. As of Feb 1st, you guys know that you have Ba for the season, we know we have Modric, Blackburn know they have Hoilett etc etc. Lower division teams can relax a bit too. We get annoyed every Jan, but were it not for the window it would be all year round. Surely the idea that it forms some protection for less "flush" clubs is actually legitimate?

I'm far more annoyed at the loan system and its abuses. I would rather see intra-division loans banned, restrictions on the number of loans, restrictions on the age of loanees etc etc.

Guest Roger Kint

Totally agree that the loan system is a farce. No player should be allowed to go on loan in the same division, it's a joke.

Adebayor one is plainly wrong. Spurs probably wouldnt be in the title race without him and he is actually helping City by potentially taking points off other challengers while not at the club.

Totally agree that the loan system is a farce. No player should be allowed to go on loan in the same division, it's a joke.

Adebayor one is plainly wrong. Spurs probably wouldnt be in the title race without him and he is actually helping City by potentially taking points off other challengers while not at the club.

:thup:

Having said that Sturridge and Wilshere to Bolton etc I don't have much complaint over, see why loaning out a huge player to someone in league is bit of doping the league, think maybe it should be an age cap for loaning in the league. Over 21s or something should be a no no, under 21s fine imo

While it's great for England that Sturridge, Welbeck and Wilshere got the playing time that has turned them into very good players it is bad for the league. It encourages stockpiling of players by the big clubs and the using the little clubs to butter up their players. Chelsea, Man United and Arsenal should be playing these players in their teams - and if they don't have a place for them then they should be forced to move them on. The squad limitations haven't helped anything.

That's completely fair, but sorting out loans then wouldn't go close to sorting out the problems. Fair play should help but overall youth structures everywhere need to be overhauled and clubs encouraged, or even just forced to rely much more on homegrown talent. (the thing making the PL clubs be able to buy players from lower leagues was a really rubbish attempt that will just weaken the league)

On Henry, appreciate he's on an ego trip, but can ignore that. Wonder if its his ego that kept him trying to play the striker role, with his legs gone most thought he'd drop back into midfield as his passing and vision is pretty good.

That's completely fair, but sorting out loans then wouldn't go close to sorting out the problems. Fair play should help but overall youth structures everywhere need to be overhauled and clubs encouraged, or even just forced to rely much more on homegrown talent. (the thing making the PL clubs be able to buy players from lower leagues was a really rubbish attempt that will just weaken the league)

Oh I agree, but that doesn't mean the loan system shouldn't be completely overhauled. I genuinely believe that allowing loans in the same division is fundamentally wrong, whether it's Adebayor or, say, Steven Caulker (Spurs to Swansea).

In Adebayor's case, not only are we benefitting at the potential expense of City's rivals, but City are not having to deal with the full ramifications of doling out ludicrous contracts willy-nilly. They also have Roque Santa Cruz and others on loan - if they were forced to keep Adebayor and Santa Cruz (as they were, say, over 21) and pay their wages that would at least make them think twice about stockpiling. Caulker is more plausible as a loanee as he is young, but, again, he is giving Swansea an advantage against our rivals. If youngsters were still allowed out on loan, but to the division below, I can live with that.

As well as stockpiling players in general, I would like to see bigger clubs restricted in their ability to stockpile younger players. Arsenal and Spurs each currently have 10 or more players out on loan, of whom at least four for each club are 22 or older. The lower divisions are staffed by a huge number of loanees from bigger clubs. Restrictions on numbers of loans - even for those under-21 - might redress this imbalance a bit.

Even though I've no great issue with youth players being loaned to shitter Prem clubs, there are enough teams kicking around to make it perfectly plausible to ban loans within the division, because of ridiculous loans like Ade & all the other highly paid Man City fringe players.

There needs to be something to stop young promising players like John Bostock drifting into a black hole at a big club and ruining their development. The new ruling will do the opposite.