Football pet hates

Guest JonnyRogers

Guest firetotheworks

I must just be remembering it wrongly because I always felt like Gillespie was someone who used to run down blind alleys a lot of the time and aside from his pace and his crossing wasn't a particularly good footballer. Looking back at least Fox seemed like a good footballer who got goals, assists and got involved in play a lot. It's a weird one, there's definitely a gap in my memory with that one.

I must just be remembering it wrongly because I always felt like Gillespie was someone who used to run down blind alleys a lot of the time and aside from his pace and his crossing wasn't a particularly good footballer. Looking back at least Fox seemed like a good footballer who got goals, assists and got involved in play a lot. It's a weird one, there's definitely a gap in my memory with that one.

That probably isn't a memory gap, but a memory of your perception of it at the time. It's easy to get carried along with the zeitgeist, I know I was when I was young, but as you mature you reflect, and realise that you maybe weren't spot on at that stage. Do you think you might be becoming mature, KI?

With Fox though, was Gillespie really better? I was never a big fan of Gillespie tbh.

Gillespie was absolutely brilliant for us. Miles better than Fox, who, to be fair, was a decent stopgap player.

The worst bit about that 2-0 defeat at Old Trafford was that dog abuser putting Gillespie on the sidelines for a few weeks .

Guest firetotheworks

That probably isn't a memory gap, but a memory of your perception of it at the time. It's easy to get carried along with the zeitgeist, I know I was when I was young, but as you mature you reflect, and realise that you maybe weren't spot on at that stage. Do you think you might be becoming mature, KI?

Not really, because I didn't really rave about Fox at the time either, it's only looking back that he seems a lot better than I remember, but I'm not sure what it was about him that stopped me from thinking he was really good at the time.

Not really, because I didn't really rave about Fox at the time either, it's only looking back that he seems a lot better than I remember, but I'm not sure what it was about him that stopped me from thinking he was really good at the time.

:lol: Good. Defer that as long as you can get away with it. Adulthood fucking sucks.

With Fox though, was Gillespie really better? I was never a big fan of Gillespie tbh.

I remember Keegan saying for they game at the beginning of 95/96 that it was pretty much a coin flip as to who started right wing out of Fox or Gillespie. Gillespie got the nod and made the shirt his. The simplicity of his game which was just based on making a yard of space then whipping it in was perfect for Sir Les and contrasted nicely with the trickier more skillful winger on the left wing.

Football wasn't really viewed as a squad game back then so when Fox spent most of his time on the bench, he became frustrated at not playing and wanted to move on.

Didn't know Fox had played for Montserrat, but seem to remember him playing in an England 'B' international when he was with us???

Guest firetotheworks

:thup: I had no idea about that.

Definitely played for England B because I remember seeing him, Steve Watson and Trevor Sinclair before a match....they were in Burger King. [emoji38]

I wear gloves with t-shirts all the time. Nothing wrong with it.

I am the same. For me, it is more a matter of comfort than anything. Unless it is excruciatingly hot, I always wear gloves when playing football, and similarly almost always wear tights when playing basketball. I like the feel of these things.

Guest firetotheworks

"He's not that kind of lad"

Whilst the cameras show that, actually, he clearly fucking is.