Football pet hates

Guest JonnyRogers

Short corners, they usually amount to nothing and just end up in midfield limbo. You have your big defenders coming up to attack it and instead they go wasted. Now those same defenders have to run all the way back wasting energy. Spurs were guilty of this today. When they did take a corner, they almost scored.

Normal corners are horribly low percentage anyway. Might as well just leave the CBs behind and play it short and back into play.

Normal corners are horribly low percentage anyway. Might as well just leave the CBs behind and play it short and back into play.

But it's a chance. Put the ball in the box and see what happens.

Yep.  I can't remember the percentages, but I think someone put them up on here 2-3 years ago?  It sas during our run of not scoring from a corner in about 3 years, I think? 

It is always funny how fans go absolutely mental and get all pumped for a corner.  Only to see the keeper easily claim it or the ball fail to beat the first man.

What does annoy me is commentators or managers saying that ref's are 'spoiling entertainment or the occasion' when they send a player off. If he deservers to be sent off, he deserves to be sent off, nothing to do with spoiling a spectacle, it's called correct officiating.

Not necessarily. That rule where the last defender is always sent off and a penalty given regardless of the severity of the foul is utter bullshit.

According to Mike Riley the refs can use their own discretion in those situations but none of them do, they can't wait to whip out the red and it ruins games.

It's the same when 2 players are involved in a bit of pushing and shoving. No one got hurt, it didn't negatively impact the game so just give them a bollocking and get on with it.

IMO they should be doing everything they can to keep 22 players on the pitch and red cards should be reserved for seriously dangerous tackles. I think it would help if some of them had actually played the game at a reasonable level before becoming refs

Well, they can use their judgement to assess if it was a clear goalscoring opportunity. But if they think it was, they have to give a red don't they?

FWIW I think the whinging about officials is way out of proportion with how good they are in general.

When commentators/people go "Should be a goal up by now" when referring to a massive chance that a keeper saved. No. You shouldn't be a goal up by now. The keeper fucking did a marvelous save.

This does not apply when referring to chances that a player put outside the goal or hits the post or bad play shit like that.

how people on the internet really struggle to spell Jack Wilshere's surname

Steve McLaren and Lee Clarke agree with this.

He's got Santi Carzola's shoulder to cry on, though.

Anyway, mine is the thing at the minute of American kids being banned from heading the ball because it leads to brain damage or something, which is only because they're not learning the proper technique. Good to see they're cutting off the main cause of their kids becoming mental mass-shooting mooseknuckles, though.

Anyway, mine is the thing at the minute of American kids being banned from heading the ball because it leads to brain damage or something, which is only because they're not learning the proper technique. Good to see they're cutting off the main cause of their kids becoming mental mass-shooting mooseknuckles, though.

But they're still big into American Football, in full gear, from an early age?! :lol:

But they're still big into American Football, in full gear, from an early age?! :lol:

Fwiw it's a lot easier to reform youth soccer than it is youth football.

Fwiw it's a lot easier to reform youth soccer than it is youth football.

Oh I can imagine.  But I read that like 3-4 high school players died this year playing football?  How many more got serious injuries, or are going to have long term problems with their noggin? 

But.  Heading a football is bad for you?  Head it with your forehead and you'll be fine.  It's not like the olds days where you're heading a cannon ball, that gets lumped up in the air every 10 seconds. 

A full-size football is quite a sizeable thing to be hit into the head of a small child mind, not that I know the science behind it.

Don't they play with size 3 and 4, up until a certain age?  Not like a proper match ball either, is it? 

I might be wrong.  It's been a long time since I played youth football!

Guest firetotheworks

A football pet hate of mine when I was a kid was having to use size 4, rock hard Mitre tactics actually. We all played with size 5 balls on the yard and even kicking a Tactic absolutely nacked.

Depends really.  I'm sure some coaches are just mongs and pump the balls up too much.  Or buy cheap shit.  I remember training for the old gaffer about 5-6 years back.  In the winter, the shitty Sports Direct balls used to have a bout 80 PSI in them and would nearly break your foot when you kicked them :lol:

All this concussion business is pissing me off. We all know sports can be dangerous, but that's the risk you take when you go out there and play. Will Smith is in some movie about it, and it's irritating. They really need to stop all this pussyfying in sports.