Football pet hates

Guest JonnyRogers

See i would put the like a of Maldini, Nesta, Stam, Ferdinand, Terry, Cannavaro, Vidic and maybe a few others relatively far ahead of them.

It annoys me because I think people are putting Ramos in their team because of the trophies he has won, rather than his actual ability.

Edited by Rafalove

10 minutes ago, Rafalove said:

See i would put the like a of Maldini, Nesta, Stam, Ferdinand, Terry, Cannavaro, Vidic and maybe a few others relatively far ahead of them.

It annoys me because I think people are putting Ramos in their team because of the trophies he has won, rather than his actual ability.

Ramos also had that unquantifiable leadership by example ability. Outstanding player - not that im suggesting he should be up there with the greats though.

1 minute ago, Pancrate1892 said:

People who wank on about woodgate when he admitted he never want to come and slagged the club off. 

37 games and people hail him as the best thing since sliced bread despite making Michael Owen look punctual 

where’s this from?

He said that he didn't want to leave Leeds but that was mainly due to him coming through their ranks and loving his team mates there. He's also since said that leaving Newcastle was a tough choice and that Real Madrid were the only club he'd have left for. Both views completely fair in my eyes and still the best defender I've seen play for us. 

11 hours ago, Rafalove said:

Unless you're talking Maldini and Baresi, then Ramos and Puyol sit comfortably alongside that lot like. Their ridiculous will to win is just an another attribute to their game as far as I'm concerned, both outstanding defenders and very good on the ball. 

12 hours ago, Rafalove said:

Terry wouldn’t be close to that for me. 

3 hours ago, Pancrate1892 said:

People who wank on about woodgate when he admitted he never want to come and slagged the club off. 

37 games and people hail him as the best thing since sliced bread despite making Michael Owen look punctual 

Don’t remember that.  I do remember him being the most technically sublime centre half I’ve ever seen in B&W, though.  

3 hours ago, Pancrate1892 said:

He was very good but caused too much disruption to the team as was rarely fit or looked like he’d last 90mins so never really built a solid partnership with anyone. I guess compared to the walking disaster that was Bramble his status does get elevated.

Woodgate = ASM

Dabizas = Barnes

Uh oh what I’ve gone and done 🙂

9 minutes ago, LFEE said:

He was very good but caused too much disruption to the team as was rarely fit or looked like he’d last 90mins so never really built a solid partnership with anyone. I guess compared to the walking disaster that was Bramble his status does get elevated.

Woodgate = ASM

Dabizas = Barnes

Uh oh what I’ve gone and done 🙂

Woodgate is not the ASM of centre halves.  There is a reason Woodgate joined Real Madrid from us.  Real Madrid were notable in their silence in bidding for ASM

1 hour ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Woodgate is not the ASM of centre halves.  There is a reason Woodgate joined Real Madrid from us.  Real Madrid were notable in their silence in bidding for ASM

The reason was they were paying silly money and not scouting well. He played for them 9 times in 3 seasons 🙂

We sold them an absolute physical wreck. They got their revenge to a lesser extent with Owen.

Anyway you missed my point with the comparison completely.

4 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I think LFEE is saying that while Woodgate had tremendous ability (like ASM) he was rarely available for selection. Contrast that with Dabizas who wasn't as flash (like Barnes) but was almost always fit and available (bar his knee injury in 2000).

I don't disagree to be honest. Woodgate was very good, as was ASM, and both could have a very exciting highlight reel in black and white, but there was a dependability about Dabizas that deserves recognition. 

The point is any player that declares he didn't want to play for us and then was saying how is beloved Middlesbrough were a bigger club than us because they made it to a uefa cup final doesn't deserve the high end praise that he gets from most toon fans - it's not reciprocated. 

As for the ASM argument.....at least he wanted to play for us and clearly he's emotional at being asked to leave 

41 minutes ago, Pancrate1892 said:

The point is any player that declares he didn't want to play for us and then was saying how is beloved Middlesbrough were a bigger club than us because they made it to a uefa cup final doesn't deserve the high end praise that he gets from most toon fans - it's not reciprocated. 

As for the ASM argument.....at least he wanted to play for us and clearly he's emotional at being asked to leave 

Woodgate is a smoggie who said that after he left us.  

45 minutes ago, Pancrate1892 said:

When/where did he say this?

4 hours ago, Pancrate1892 said:

Need to separate out the player and performance on the pitch from the person off it. 

seems fairly unlikeable as a person, BUT when he did play he looked a different league. 

it’s no secret everyone in involved at leeds thought he was better than Ferdinand, but his body wasn’t up to it.

23 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

I remember watching Ledley King play for England around 2005/6 and thinking he looked truly exceptional like. 

The fact he continued to play at the level he did for so long despite basically not training and having one knee is unbelievable.

I saw both Campbell and King for their entire Spurs careers. Campbell was an absolute physical phenomenon. In a shitty Spurs team he played left back as a teenager and at times carried the team. That period gave me so much respect for him and was key in me defending him when he went to the Arse.

Ledley King was better.

8 hours ago, Viana said:

I think LFEE is saying that while Woodgate had tremendous ability (like ASM) he was rarely available for selection. Contrast that with Dabizas who wasn't as flash (like Barnes) but was almost always fit and available (bar his knee injury in 2000).

I don't disagree to be honest. Woodgate was very good, as was ASM, and both could have a very exciting highlight reel in black and white, but there was a dependability about Dabizas that deserves recognition. 

Correct 👍🏻 And stats wise he was better as he was brilliant from set pieces and possibly one of our highest scoring centre halves we ever had (?).

Cant recall Woodgate scoring when watching him play other than a lucky goal for Spurs to win the cup final.