Football pet hates

Guest JonnyRogers

Stupid comments like "well you don't want to do that in Europe - give away silly free kicks."

Yes, because managers encourage it domestically. You actually win the game in the Premier League if you give away enough free kicks. Tool.

Guest ToonUltra

As far as the research thing goes I totally agree. Thats all they have to do right, research and sit on TV for 2 hours? Whoever it was commentating on Monday night vs Warnocks tripe sticks, they informed everyone watching that Besty and Shola came through the ranks together....

Just a little bit off the mark.

The whole "well I hope he doesn't do too well or he will get sold" thing at the moment, seems to come up in every thread.

That's not to say it isn't true but we aren't the only club who do it and it really doesn't need to be said every time there is a bit of positivity about a player :lol:

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

'Affiliated' pundits and commentators.

Ray Wilkins and his Chelsea love.

The whole host of former Liverpool players currently working for Sports TV channels.

'Affiliated' pundits and commentators.

Ray Wilkins and his Chelsea love.

The whole host of former Liverpool players currently working for Sports TV channels.

Yeah. Wish Shearer would stop licking our arse n'all. :rolleyes:

The whole "well I hope he doesn't do too well or he will get sold" thing at the moment, seems to come up in every thread.

That's not to say it isn't true but we aren't the only club who do it and it really doesn't need to be said every time there is a bit of positivity about a player :lol:

whos being sold like? :angryfire:  the bastards.

Cabaye on a free to the mackems, it's a fucking disgrace, it makes no sense.

Cabaye on a free to the mackems, it's a fucking disgrace, it makes no sense.

owts possible with these clowns running the club, really well.

This is my big one at the moment as well, annoying as fuck.

Jamie Redknapp quote with which I disagree:

"I actually thought they were crying out for a bit of 'Britishness'. I really thought they needed someone like Scott Parker and in that respect I still don't think they have sorted out a problem that was crying out to be fixed: they still don't have someone to sit in front of that back four."

The idea that Arsenal's problems could be fixed by becoming more British (especially by signing Scott Parker) annoys me greatly. Also, Scott Parker does not play the role described in any way. Song is superior at that particular position, anyway. The two best British players that play the holding role or Muamba and Barry who I pray Arsenal do not pursue.

"Joey Barton went down with Newcastle not long ago so knows what is needed to stay up"

What? Use logic, idiot.

Actually the quotes are not that egregious. I have decided that I hate the man. UK football analysis as a whole is one of the worst quality products I have experienced. It is simply generic unintelligent things that people on the street would say articulated in an ineloquent way. Very poor.

Agree with every single word, Baba.

Yep, pundits over here know the same as, if not less than, the fans. And they're not usually any better at expressing it either. Not surprising really, footballers don't tend to be "students of the game" in general.

Are pundits in other countries particularly impressive?

Can think of little worse than listening to "experts", no matter how insightful they may be, drone on about football. Unless something particularly interesting has happened, tune in for the match, tune out when it's finished. Sorted.

I used to always think football shows should have some football journalists on instead of just ex-players but now when I hear Shaun Custis etc on 5Live, I just end up thinking "ffs put Mark Lawrenson back on, you clueless arsehole."

Jason Roberts has a future in football broadcast journalism IMO. Most of the ex-players are terrible though.

I don't mind Roberts, but I don't agree with having current players on something like 606. If a Blackburn fan rings up, you're hardly likely to hear Roberts offering any criticism of the manager, other players or the owners and that defeats the point.

I used to always think football shows should have some football journalists on instead of just ex-players but now when I hear Shaun Custis etc on 5Live, I just end up thinking "ffs put Mark Lawrenson back on, you clueless arsehole."

Football journalists are generally worse aye, so up their own arse it's unreal.  Agents are the worst, when one of them is on the radio I wonder why I bother with it.

I'm massively late to the party with this but have recently got into / become obsessed by The Football Ramble.

That's the kind of football chat I want to hear, they're both knowledgable and hilarious, it's fantastic.

I've started listening to it this season but I don't know, there's something a bit too much "trying to be funny" about it, can't really get into it. Annoys me them all falling about laughing at their own jokes that I don't find particularly funny.

The only football show I listen to religiously is the Arsenal Tuesday Club with Alan Davies, which is brilliant but obviously has a major flaw of being solely about Arsenal.

I'm massively late to the party with this but have recently got into / become obsessed by The Football Ramble.

That's the kind of football chat I want to hear, they're both knowledgable and hilarious, it's fantastic.

I've started listening to it this season but I don't know, there's something a bit too much "trying to be funny" about it, can't really get into it. Annoys me them all falling about laughing at their own jokes that I don't find particularly funny.

The only football show I listen to religiously is the Arsenal Tuesday Club with Alan Davies, which is brilliant but obviously has a major flaw of being solely about Arsenal.

I'm a long time listener and I think it's started becoming a little clichéd but it's still very good and better than most else. Tuesday Club is outstanding though and is usually at it's best when Arsenal are fucking things up.

I'm a long time listener and I think it's started becoming a little clichéd but it's still very good and better than most else. Tuesday Club is outstanding though and is usually at it's best when Arsenal are fucking things up.

Definitely, was a bit boring last week after the Swansea game but looking forward to this week's. Was absolutely brilliant after the 8-2. Makes a big difference having professional comedians on who are also real football fans, bit like what made Fantasy Football so good.

Definitely, was a bit boring last week after the Swansea game but looking forward to this week's. Was absolutely brilliant after the 8-2. Makes a big difference having professional comedians on who are also real football fans, bit like what made Fantasy Football so good.

Definitely, as I think I've said before on here Alan Davies has gone way up in my estimation as a result of listening to it. Used to think he was just a token celebrity fan but he's a proper 'true supporter'. (Whatever one of those is)

Lives up Corbridge way too.

Surprised you say that tbh Wullie, I think the tone of it's spot-on.  The more I listen to it the more I like it and I do think they're very funny.

Will maybe give Tuesday Club a listen since you both recommend it.

I'll give it another go, I really don't like the opening segment though, that usually gets me a bit sick of it.

Tuesday Club - definitely get the ones after Liverpool and Man Utd games this season and it's worth getting the ones from last season after Liverpool, Spurs and our 4-4 too. Very funny.

Definitely, as I think I've said before on here Alan Davies has gone way up in my estimation as a result of listening to it. Used to think he was just a token celebrity fan but he's a proper 'true supporter'. (Whatever one of those is)

Lives up Corbridge way too.

Does he really? ??? Is his missus from up here or something?

I'm a proper Jonathan Creek fanboy so he's long had my vote. Great story last week about having to buy the same plane tickets three times when trying to get to Copenhagen for the UEFA Cup final. :lol: