Football pet hates

Guest JonnyRogers

I'm massively late to the party with this but have recently got into / become obsessed by The Football Ramble.

That's the kind of football chat I want to hear, they're both knowledgable and hilarious, it's fantastic.

I've started listening to it this season but I don't know, there's something a bit too much "trying to be funny" about it, can't really get into it. Annoys me them all falling about laughing at their own jokes that I don't find particularly funny.

The only football show I listen to religiously is the Arsenal Tuesday Club with Alan Davies, which is brilliant but obviously has a major flaw of being solely about Arsenal.

I'm a long time listener and I think it's started becoming a little clichéd but it's still very good and better than most else. Tuesday Club is outstanding though and is usually at it's best when Arsenal are fucking things up.

Definitely, was a bit boring last week after the Swansea game but looking forward to this week's. Was absolutely brilliant after the 8-2. Makes a big difference having professional comedians on who are also real football fans, bit like what made Fantasy Football so good.

Definitely, as I think I've said before on here Alan Davies has gone way up in my estimation as a result of listening to it. Used to think he was just a token celebrity fan but he's a proper 'true supporter'. (Whatever one of those is)

Lives up Corbridge way too.

Does he really? ??? Is his missus from up here or something?

I'm a proper Jonathan Creek fanboy so he's long had my vote. Great story last week about having to buy the same plane tickets three times when trying to get to Copenhagen for the UEFA Cup final. :lol:

Aye I think so, he's alluded to her family being Newcastle fans on the show before.

Jamie Redknapp quote with which I disagree:

"I actually thought they were crying out for a bit of 'Britishness'. I really thought they needed someone like Scott Parker and in that respect I still don't think they have sorted out a problem that was crying out to be fixed: they still don't have someone to sit in front of that back four."

The idea that Arsenal's problems could be fixed by becoming more British (especially by signing Scott Parker) annoys me greatly. Also, Scott Parker does not play the role described in any way. Song is superior at that particular position, anyway. The two best British players that play the holding role or Muamba and Barry who I pray Arsenal do not pursue.

"Joey Barton went down with Newcastle not long ago so knows what is needed to stay up"

What? Use logic, idiot.

Actually the quotes are not that egregious. I have decided that I hate the man. UK football analysis as a whole is one of the worst quality products I have experienced. It is simply generic unintelligent things that people on the street would say articulated in an ineloquent way. Very poor.

Agree with every single word, Baba.

Yep, pundits over here know the same as, if not less than, the fans. And they're not usually any better at expressing it either. Not surprising really, footballers don't tend to be "students of the game" in general.

Wengers best team, the  core were made up of players born in the UK.

"I actually thought they were crying out for a bit of 'Britishness'. I really thought they needed someone like Scott Parker and in that respect I still don't think they have sorted out a problem that was crying out to be fixed: they still don't have someone to sit in front of that back four."

The idea that Arsenal's problems could be fixed by becoming more British (especially by signing Scott Parker) annoys me greatly. Also, Scott Parker does not play the role described in any way. Song is superior at that particular position, anyway. The two best British players that play the holding role or Muamba and Barry who I pray Arsenal do not pursue.

"Joey Barton went down with Newcastle not long ago so knows what is needed to stay up"

What? Use logic, idiot.

Actually the quotes are not that egregious. I have decided that I hate the man. UK football analysis as a whole is one of the worst quality products I have experienced. It is simply generic unintelligent things that people on the street would say articulated in an ineloquent way. Very poor.

Yep, pundits over here know the same as, if not less than, the fans. And they're not usually any better at expressing it either. Not surprising really, footballers don't tend to be "students of the game" in general.

Campbell and Cole, is that really the core? Assuming you accept that 03/04 was their best team...

What? Use logic, idiot.

Campbell and Cole, is that really the core? Assuming you accept that 03/04 was their best team...

According to statistics, Kanu accumulated more goals in the 2003-4 season than all of the English players combined. Obviously the issue is that lack of Ray Parlour.

Lately, my greatest annoyance is the automatic red card for touching someone's face in an incident. Footballers are men, not school children. Unless someone commits an act that overtly dangerous, violent, and unnecessary, there is no reason to disrupt the game and ban this player for three matches. It is a mockery of the sport. This is what the yellow card is for. Straight reds should b reserved for professional tackles, dangerous play, and violence not nonsense like the ones given to Klasnic and Gervnho.

What? Use logic, idiot.

Ray Parlour and keown were also part of the squad, also when he arrived he inherited the famous back 5.

What? Use logic, idiot.

Ray Parlour and keown were also part of the squad, also when he arrived he inherited the famous back 5.

I wasn't really comparing English players/pundits to foreign ones, I was just saying that our pundits happen to be generally terrible.

'What they need is a proven Premier League striker'

Who are these so called proven Premier League strikesr. Outside the top side who rarely sell their proven striker who are these forwards? Crouch? Yakubu? Johnson? Zamora? Jerome?

Seriously I'd rather gamble on a foreign striker than buy the s**** floating around in the Premier League. Case in point, Odeminwinge. Goes to West Brom after spending most of his career in Russia and bangs in 15 goals. Don't get me wrong some foreign strikers flop, but you've got to ask yourself would you rather take a chance on a striker who has scored at the highest level in a different country or settle for generic trash? Yet still you hear the 'proven Premier Leegue striker' referred to like it is the holy f***ing grail, bollocks.

The pundit worship of Stoke's style of play as some kind of proof of the premier league's quality, it's not that I don't admire the genuine challenge they put up, but if you were a stoke fan wouldn't you get a bit...depressed...

I hate the worship of players who aren't good enough too because they're 'passionate' 'brave' and whatever toss. England's brave captain John Terry never gets any flack for the world cup, he's a dumb brick of a player who can be solid etc but objective worth of players is thrown out the window all the time. The Sun valued Barry at £26m comparing him to Xavi who was £25m. Are they mad?

The press worship of premiership players has got in the way of right criticism of how overpaid a lot of players, and how crap our current crop of players are, and how little we do to bring in in new players. Capello, as much as i think he's been pretty bad, got it right that English players have got no mental strength at all, pampered overrated idiots who'd rather be anywhere but playing football.

I hate Sky monopolising coverage, I hate the quality of punditry of MotD seemingly being the most either obvious, or dim insights known to man.

Ok rant over. Needed that out of the system.

The pundit worship of Stoke's style of play as some kind of proof of the premier league's quality, it's not that I don't admire the genuine challenge they put up, but if you were a stoke fan wouldn't you get a bit...depressed...

I hate the worship of players who aren't good enough too because they're 'passionate' 'brave' and whatever toss. England's brave captain John Terry never gets any flack for the world cup, he's a dumb brick of a player who can be solid etc but objective worth of players is thrown out the window all the time. The Sun valued Barry at £26m comparing him to Xavi who was £25m. Are they mad?

The press worship of premiership players has got in the way of right criticism of how overpaid a lot of players, and how crap our current crop of players are, and how little we do to bring in in new players. Capello, as much as i think he's been pretty bad, got it right that English players have got no mental strength at all, pampered overrated idiots who'd rather be anywhere but playing football.

I hate Sky monopolising coverage, I hate the quality of punditry of MotD seemingly being the most either obvious, or dim insights known to man.

Ok rant over. Needed that out of the system.

defiantly agree with this, the constant bigging up of the likes of Pulis and Allerdyce and their dogshit style of "football" and praising them as some kind of tactical masterminds when the fact they haven't change their style at all and continue with it just shows how limited they are in the fact they're afraid to try and play some actual football in case its shown up just how idiotic they really are

Agreed.

The pundtry in this country is generally awful. You have wooden goons on match of the day who wheel out the usual tired cliches offering little to no insight, then there's the general smugness of GSS which consists of p*ss poor analysis and biased commentry. With out naming individuals there's the general perception the Premier League is the be all and end all. Rooney is the greatest player in the world, Man United are the greatest team in the world, the Premier League is the most competative league in the world, it's all crap. Then when a foreign players gets off to a rough start you get the 'he's not going to adjust to the pace' speech, similar to the treatment Dzeko received last season. Truth be told the Premier League is complete crap outside the top seven or so teams, not to mention most of the best players within the league come from abroad. Nine times out of ten a quality player will adjust given time, yet our pundits don't consider this because they're too lazy to do the job they are paid millions of pounds to do and look beyond the realms of the self proclaimed best league in the world.

And yeah, Davies' wife is from up here. I think he's very funny and I love how passionate he is about Arsenal. Shame though because everything I've read about him suggests that he's actually massive prick in real life.

Yeah it's fairly obvious Davies is a prick but he's good value and entertaining. My main gripe with the show is that Tayo and Ian Stone seem put him on a pedestal and feel the need to laugh at everything he says, that said it's still probably my favourite sporting podcast. I really like fighting talk aswell although it's pretty hit and miss depending on the panel.

I usually switch off mentally when the "pundits" begin their "match analysis". This is more the case with Sky Sports/ITV, I have time for Alan Hansen on MOTD tbh (the best out of the current BBC crop imo).

I think the trouble with cutting analysis on Match of the Day is that football is so popular and most people who watch it, do so for the goals and little else. It's much more likely to be watched by the casual fan than any other sporting programme is and as a result, stuff on the main channels has to be a bit "lowest common denominator". They still need to discuss the games but it generally ends up being little more than paying lip service.

That said, I still really enjoy MOTD, a much bigger problem is when they have the same lazy pundits doing international tournaments and don't know anything about the majority of the teams/players. Most if not all of the ex-players seem to think they can get by on simply having played the game, and some do have more to say than others, but it's now their fucking job to do some research. Alan Shearer would never have gone onto a pitch and given anything less than 100% but he seems more than happy to do it in his new role.

No no, well done on Stoke getting into Europe, it is an achievement, I'm just upset at how the press go on and on about how the measure of a team is how they go up against the Stoke style of play, and yet I bet if Italian footy is brought up the same pundits will criticise Italian footy as boring and defensive.

Stoke have a good thing going for them results wise but it's not pretty to watch.

I think the trouble with cutting analysis on Match of the Day is that football is so popular and most people who watch it, do so for the goals and little else. It's much more likely to be watched by the casual fan than any other sporting programme is and as a result, stuff on the main channels has to be a bit "lowest common denominator". They still need to discuss the games but it generally ends up being little more than paying lip service.

That said, I still really enjoy MOTD, a much bigger problem is when they have the same lazy pundits doing international tournaments and don't know anything about the majority of the teams/players. Most if not all of the ex-players seem to think they can get by on simply having played the game, and some do have more to say than others, but it's now their f***ing job to do some research. Alan Shearer would never have gone onto a pitch and given anything less than 100% but he seems more than happy to do it in his new role.

This was 30+ years ago and it must be a hell of a lot worse now surely?