Football pet hates

Guest JonnyRogers

I just don't get it , as a youngster i practiced most days with my weaker foot and I'm pretty decent with it. Surely as a pro you would have honed your weaker foot after training nearly every single day .

Agreed, I'm a very average footballer but in the space of a few weeks I managed to get my left from not being able to do anything at all, to ok long range passes, accurate shooting, ok touch and poor dribbling.it's still shoddy but if I worked on it each day, It would improve a load more

You would think the amount of training that goes on, a player would work on his weaker foot/abilities.

Yeah, you'd also think that goalkeepers would have time to work on their kicking, a lot of keepers are really shit with their feet.

You would think the amount of training that goes on, a player would work on his weaker foot/abilities.

Yeah, you'd also think that goalkeepers would have time to work on their kicking, a lot of keepers are really s*** with their feet.

Do they get involved with like the passing and ball control exercises in training or do they just go off with the goalkeeping coach and stop shots?

Keepers are footballers, they should be able to play football. :pepguardiola:

I remember that first season when they had banned the picking of the ball up from the back pass.  I think it was the fist season of the prem aswell, the first 6th months the mistakes were hilarious, you would have thought the goal keepers themselves their coaching and manager would have worked on it, nah not by the look of it.

I think one keep actually said, i think it was the chelsea 2nd keeper, hitchcock "im a keeper not a footballer"  :lol:

I just don't get it , as a youngster i practiced most days with my weaker foot and I'm pretty decent with it. Surely as a pro you would have honed your weaker foot after training nearly every single day .

I'm shit with my left foot and Malcolm Macdonald is to blame. When I was playing for shields he came and did a talk in which he told us to focus on what we were good at and forget the rest. Damn him!

I'm absolutely terrible on my left like, can't shoot at all and only make short passes. I can dribble with it a bit though.

I think focussing on what you're good at is a pretty fundamental thing in football development. It's not like coaches are paid to develop things players are terrible at, they're more paid to spot the good players and choose them instead. I guess some players choose to put in extra work on weaknesses and others just don't bother.

I'm absolutely terrible on my left like, can't shoot at all and only make short passes. I can dribble with it a bit though.

I think focussing on what you're good at is a pretty fundamental thing in football development. It's not like coaches are paid to develop things players are terrible at, they're more paid to spot the good players and choose them instead. I guess some players choose to put in extra work on weaknesses and others just don't bother.

Other way round for me.  Can lash it, curl it and ping a decent pass on it.  Just shit at trying to dribble with it.

Footballers that flatly refuse to use their weaker foot irritate the fuck out of me.  How hard can it be you overpaid swines  :lol:

I remember that first season when they had banned the picking of the ball up from the back pass....

Best thing to happen to football in my lifetime.

As a younger'un, if I'm watching an old game and they do it, it's like "What the fuck's he playi- oh yeah..."

Fat kid mascots

Naaah, they're great. Even better are adult mascots. I think that's a massive missed opportunity - you too could pay a wodge of cash to walk onto the pitch holding hands with Shola, then have a kick-about on the pitch with someone like Vuckic. I'd fucking love it.

I remember that first season when they had banned the picking of the ball up from the back pass....

Best thing to happen to football in my lifetime.

As a younger'un, if I'm watching an old game and they do it, it's like "What the f***'s he playi- oh yeah..."

:lol: Even as an old'un, I occasionally do the same!

Also do it with some tackles. The first thing Gerry Gow does in the 81 Cup Final (maybe it was the replay), like, after about 20 seconds, is kick Ardiles up in the air. Nowadays, he'd be off before Ossie hit the ground. Every time I see it now my instinct is "that's a red".

Fat kid mascots

Naaah, they're great. Even better are adult mascots. I think that's a massive missed opportunity - you too could pay a wodge of cash to walk onto the pitch holding hands with Shola, then have a kick-about on the pitch with someone like Vuckic. I'd f***ing love it.

Then make yourself start bubbling so Colo has to carry you off  :aww:

Seriously though, I'd proper love to have a go at the crossbar challenge at half time. None of this zorbing tripe though. No way.

One thing I find strange in old games is the deliberate handball. Bobby Moore catches a good looking German ball going in behind the defence in the 66 and Argentina stop loads of Dutch attacks in 78 with their hands. Ridiculous that this tactic didn't become a bookable offence until 1990.

One thing I find strange in old games is the deliberate handball. Bobby Moore catches a good looking German ball going in behind the defence in the 66 and Argentina stop loads of Dutch attacks in 78 with their hands. Ridiculous that this tactic didn't become a bookable offence until 1990.

:lol: :lol:

Never even knew that!  That is mental.

Guest Haris Vuckic

I think 'sportsmanship' was the name of the game rather than 'gamesmanship' like it is today.

Guest Roger Kint

TV taking the piss with matches. Which arsehole thought that Liverpool/Everton should be 1pm Saturday and Spurs/Chelsea 6pm Sunday were good ideas? ITV making Chelsea play then is made even dafter when they should want them to do well v Barca for their own coverage of CL games  :idiot2: