Pick THE player

Taylor Swift
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The scene is set, you have the first pick of your fantasy football. You can pick any player, from any club, any country, anywhere really. Pick one player that you think is ideal to build a team around. The one player that you think is the most valuable, the best, the most gifted, the one that you believe is worthy of being picked 'first', the most influential in all of football.. Any player in the world. Pick ONE.. Considering everything, his skill, the position he plays in, his age, his potential for improvement, his leadership, his 'clutchness' if you like.. Consider all those variables, and pick one player.

State why you've chosen your player as well :)

I'm surprised at all the Rooney picks tbh, he's done nothing out of the ordinary this season, he's not even the best player on his own team for Christ's sake. Hasn't done it in the Champions League either. I'm even more surprised by the lack of votes for Ronaldinho, who changes the way any team plays against Barcelona more than anyone realizes.

I'm surprised at all the Rooney picks tbh, he's done nothing out of the ordinary this season, he's not even the best player on his own team for Christ's sake. Hasn't done it in the Champions League either. I'm even more surprised by the lack of votes for Ronaldinho, who changes the way any team plays against Barcelona more than anyone realizes.

Hah? Rooney being ordinary this season !!? What's the shame of not outshining Paul Scholes - currently the very best quarter back and attacking midfielder rolled into 1 in premiership (also alledgely favoured by Henry and Fabregas as player of the year), and Nemanja Vidic - who has been absolutely colossal for Manchester United?

If anything, Ronaldinho has been pretty low key this season, even annoying his own fans. Rumour also has that Barcelona is not going to renew his contract.

Guest Rodimus Prime

Fabregas.

Ronaldinho and Henry are the obvious ones. But Cesc really makes Arsenal tick, and he's only 18.

Amazing, really.

I can see him going to Barca or Real for an insane amount of money in a few years, and he'll defintely be the best midfielder in the world by the time he's 21, 22 if he keeps this level of development up.

I think Cristiano Ronaldo deserves a shout out, the reason Manu are top of the league this season.

Not sure if i'd build a team round him though, but if i was going to build a team, it would be around someone young and i reckon he's the most influential player at the moment for his age.

I pick Cesc Fabregas.

This is because if one wants to build a team around a certain player, then ideally the team play, both offensive and defensive, should go through this player to maximise the effect. In this circumstances the player should ideally play in the middle, participating actively in winning the ball, distributing the ball and dictating the play. He should also be very comfortable in receiving the ball, should be consistent and not injury prone.

Buffon is out of equation because you can't build a team around a keeper. Steven Gerrard would be a good shout but he is too inconsistent to my liking. Ronaldinho, an incredible player he is, plays on the left and I don't want my team to be off balance. Both Thierry Henry and Fabio Cannavaro are not young anymore (and you can't build a team around a defender). Leo Messi is a winger, and is quite fragile.

This leave Wayne Rooney and Cesc Fabregas. Rooney is not an out and out striker, and often appears in deep position starting attacking plays. But Cesc Fabregas edges him because he is a better defensive player.

Paul Scholes would be a good shout but he is not young anymore. Carrick is another good shout but he is yet to reach top class.

One of the reasons Man U have been fantastic this year is that they have Scholes, Rooney, Carrick, Ronaldo, Giggs, all whom are more than capable to start and finish any offensive move.

Hah? Rooney being ordinary this season !!? What's the shame of not outshining Paul Scholes - currently the very best quarter back and attacking midfielder rolled into 1 in premiership (also alledgely favoured by Henry and Fabregas as player of the year), and Nemanja Vidic - who has been absolutely colossal for Manchester United?

If anything, Ronaldinho has been pretty low key this season, even annoying his own fans. Rumour also has that Barcelona is not going to renew his contract.

I don't believe that for a second! As if the (probably) biggest club on the planet will allow the second-most marketable player on the planet allow to leave on a free transfer, still on the sunny side of 30! Mind-boggling!

Given his age, position and his ability already then it's got to be Fabregas. He's still got 15 years at the top level and he's already awesome. Just needs to put  a stone on to bulk him out a bit and he'll run any midfield in the world. Cracking player.

:lol: You must be fucking joking man

Ronaldinho low-key? Does low-key by any chance mean 13 league goals this season? Leading his club, the defending Champions League champs and leader of the Primera Liga, in the goalscoring department? Is that what you mean by low-key?

Fucks sake, just because you don't watch him doesn't mean he's shite. He carried Barca into the Champions League final last year, has been inspirational this year with Barca missing Samuel Eto'o and you say he's been 'low-key' :lol:

Ronaldinho, an incredible player he is, plays on the left and I don't want my team to be off balance.

So are you saying Barca's team is off-balance then? Are you saying the defending champs of Europe have an off-balanced team? :lol:

Balance or no balance, I'd take the team that consistently plays the most entertaining football in Europe, AND is successful because of one key player, the two-time world player of the year.

The real mind-boggling fact is how underrated Ronaldinho actually is, especially by people who don't see enough of him/Barca to realize his effectiveness (even when he barely seems to be involved).

Personally, I think Fabregas is overrated. Not massively overrated but his reputation has certainly been helped by playing for a team in the Premiership, a league watched all over the world. He's also playing in a system that suits him to perfection. Stick him in our team, and he wouldn't be half as effective. That's not the type of player I'd want to build my team around. I wonder what will happen when he eventually leaves Arsenal, his passing and vision is sublime, I give you that, but his lack of pace means that he rarely finishes off anything. Ronaldinho, on the other hand, creates countless goals through his creativity and flair, and like the statistics show, he can finish 'em off as well.

Furthermore, he's actually done it all. Won the World Cup, won the Champions League and winning arguably the best league in Europe twice in a row. I understand the picks for Gerrard because he's actually done most of it, and for a shite team in comparison to Barca, but why Rooney and Fabregas? Rooney isn't the best player in his team, that's Cristiano Ronaldo. Sure he has potential but he's not shown that he's improved at all in the past couple of years. His temper is still evident, his form is erratic and he doesn't even have a set role in his own team. Fabregas? I've talked enough about him. IMO, if he wasn't playing in Wenger's team, he wouldn't be the player he is and we'll find this out when he leaves.

Fabregas is a better defensive player

If being a dirty cunt with little or no tackling ability makes you a defensive player in your book, then Fabregas is a better defensive player than Rooney.

:lol: You must be f****** joking man

Ronaldinho low-key? Does low-key by any chance mean 13 league goals this season? Leading his club, the defending Champions League champs and leader of the Primera Liga, in the goalscoring department? Is that what you mean by low-key?

In the same token as you describing Rooney as ordinary this season.

Fucks sake, just because you don't watch him doesn't mean he's s****. He carried Barca into the Champions League final last year, has been inspirational this year with Barca missing Samuel Eto'o and you say he's been 'low-key' :lol:

If you can only save your silly swearings to yourself. I said "this season".

So are you saying Barca's team is off-balance then? Are you saying the defending champs of Europe have an off-balanced team? :lol:

Balance or no balance, I'd take the team that consistently plays the most entertaining football in Europe, AND is successful because of one key player, the two-time world player of the year.

Please don't be silly. Does Barcelona build a team around Ronaldinho? And is Barcelona not more potent on the left than the right? Barcelona is successful not because of only one player. If it is your opinion that they are over reliant on a single player, why are they not off balance?

The real mind-boggling fact is how underrated Ronaldinho actually is, especially by people who don't see enough of him/Barca to realize his effectiveness (even when he barely seems to be involved).

Patronising and self ego inflating swearing and remarks do not make other realise more about Ronaldinho's effectiveness. And I have hardly underestimated Ronaldinho's effectiveness.

Personally, I think Fabregas is overrated. Not massively overrated but his reputation has certainly been helped by playing for a team in the Premiership, a league watched all over the world.

Look, if you play well for a big team in a league watched all over the world, Barcelona/Real Madrid/Man Utd/Chelsea/Liverpool, your reputation is going to soar. Would you suggest that Ronaldinho/C.Ronaldo/Lampard/Gerrard are overrated?

He's also playing in a system that suits him to perfection.

Is that not the key of building a team around a player? If the system does not suit a player, why build a team around him?

Stick him in our team, and he wouldn't be half as effective.

Stick Ronaldinho in Brazilian national team in 06 world cup, and he is not even half as effective.

That's not the type of player I'd want to build my team around. I wonder what will happen when he eventually leaves Arsenal,

Does it matter? If a player leaves a team, then the team can't be built around him anymore because he is simply not there.

his passing and vision is sublime, I give you that, but his lack of pace means that he rarely finishes off anything.

It doesn't matter much to me. Alonso and Scholes are both very integral to their respective teams yet they don't score frequently.

Ronaldinho, on the other hand, creates countless goals through his creativity and flair, and like the statistics show, he can finish 'em off as well.

For the reasons I have outlined before, I won't pick him despite his creativity, flair and finishing.

Furthermore, he's actually done it all. Won the World Cup, won the Champions League and winning arguably the best league in Europe twice in a row.

Fabregas is significantly younger than Ronaldinho.

I understand the picks for Gerrard because he's actually done most of it, and for a s**** team in comparison to Barca, but why Rooney and Fabregas? Rooney isn't the best player in his team, that's Cristiano Ronaldo.

Why don't you include Cristiano Ronaldo in your option list?

Sure he has potential but he's not shown that he's improved at all in the past couple of years.

Has Ronaldinho improved in the past couple of years?

I've talked enough about him. IMO, if he wasn't playing in Wenger's team, he wouldn't be the player he is and we'll find this out when he leaves.

Fabregas has done well for Spain. And Ronaldinho in Paris St German can hardly be compared to Ronaldinho is Barcelona.

I don't believe that for a second! As if the (probably) biggest club on the planet will allow the second-most marketable player on the planet allow to leave on a free transfer, still on the sunny side of 30! Mind-boggling!

It is just a rumour. I read that from teletext if I recall correctly. When I say Barcelona are not going to renew Ronaldinho's contract, it could be that Barcelona selling Ronaldinho to other club.

Guest Alan_Shearer

Fabregas can already do it all and is only 18 still. His potential is mind-boggling IMO.

Fabregas.

Ronaldinho and Henry are the obvious ones. But Cesc really makes Arsenal tick, and he's only 18.

Lads wtf u on about 18? Hes 20 in May...

In the same token as you describing Rooney as ordinary this season.

He has been ordinary if you measure him against the expectations of people like you. 10 goals in the Premiership IIRC, FIVE less than his teammate.

Plus, how long was that drought of his? 8 games or something? And he had a significant drought in the Champions League as well. That's ordinary from a player that many people would like to build their team around.

If you can only save your silly swearings to yourself. I said "this season".

Yea, you did say 'this season', and in 'this season' Samuel Eto'o has been injured for a significant portion, Ronaldinho has scored 13 league goals and Barcelona lead the Primera Liga.

Please don't be silly. Does Barcelona build a team around Ronaldinho? And is Barcelona not more potent on the left than the right? Barcelona is successful not because of only one player. If it is your opinion that they are over reliant on a single player, why are they not off balance?

Of course Barcelona build a team around Ronaldinho, why wouldn't they build a team around the two-time World Player of the Year? And I'm pretty sure they're going to continue with this policy with them winning quite a few trophies in the past couple of years, are you suggesting they change this philosophy? There's a fallacy in your argument, because 'building around' does not = over reliance. And that off balance shite is just that, shite. So what if your best player floats around and has no real position? Are you saying Arsenal are off balance because Henry plays on the left and he's their best player? That doesn't equal to a team being 'off-balance' if the planned 'balance' of the team is so that they attack from their strongest side, which in Barca's case, is the left. Would you rather let them be more 'balanced' and try attacking from another side? You go through your best players and maximize their time on the ball because they are your BEST players. That's a rule in every sport tbh. Barca do this and that's why they're the best in Europe, and that's why I rate Ronaldinho so highly.

Look, if you play well for a big team in a league watched all over the world, Barcelona/Real Madrid/Man Utd/Chelsea/Liverpool, your reputation is going to soar. Would you suggest that Ronaldinho/C.Ronaldo/Lampard/Gerrard are overrated?

Ronaldinho is underrated (evidence is shown here tbh, ONLY 15% have voted for him) because he plays in a league that is not watched as much as the Premiership is. Lampard is DEFINITELY overrated, I'm surprised you even included him. Gerrard received exposure because of his play in important games such as the FA Cup and the Champions League. With Ronaldo? He's obviously not being hyped up as much as Fabregas is, and thus, is irrelevant. Plus, if he was hyped up, I'd say he's living up to the hype with being the best player in the team that is actually leading the Premiership.

Stick Ronaldinho in Brazilian national team in 06 world cup, and he is not even half as effective.

Chastising him for one tournament? How about the tournament that he actually won?? And what has Fabregas done for Spain? He wasn't even a starter in the WC!

Why don't you include Cristiano Ronaldo in your option list?

Because I wanted to see what the Rooney backers would say when I mentioned the fact that Ronaldo has been much more impressive than Rooney this season.

Has Ronaldinho improved in the past couple of years?

Does he NEED to improve? Tell you what, Fabregas is immense and if it wasn't for Gerrard and Ronaldinho, he'd be my pick. But he hasn't won anything and hasn't shown that winning personality. Of course he has time and all that but building a team based on the 'potential' of one player isn't the best philosophy if you can build another team with a player who is used to winning and will probably make you a winner. And that's the point I've been trying to make. I'm not the type to wait and hope Fabregas develops so the team can win a few titles when I know Ronaldinho will win me probably a few as well.

Fabregas has done well for Spain. And Ronaldinho in Paris St German can hardly be compared to Ronaldinho is Barcelona.

He's had 8 international caps, don't talk about him 'doing well' :lol:

The second statement illustrates how good Ronaldinho is now. Before, he was a flashy player who came in and out of games. Ineffective for the most part with moments of brilliants in between. Now? He's a much different player. Look at how every team shapes up when they play Barcelona, the right wing hardly exists because it's sacrificed to protect the RB position, yet Barca keep winning. Even with all the injuries (Gudjohnsen, Eto'o, Xavi etc.), they're still top of their respective league.

This leads me to this

He's also playing in a system that suits him to perfection.

Is that not the key of building a team around a player? If the system does not suit a player, why build a team around him?

So are Arsenal successful in your opinion? Are they going to win trophies this season? Are they leading the league?

Scholes or Gerrard.

Scholes' one-touch play has made Man Utd dominate over the years. Absolutely sublime. I can't think of any Premiership player with more vision. In his pomp, I'd definitely have him over Gerrard as he really knows what attacking play is about.

Gerrard is pretty great too, mind! Especially in terms of infuence to the side.

i said messi - simply because of his age and potential.....

ideally i'd say canavarro - but he'll only last another couple of seasons