Fair Assessment of Duff?

Crumpy Gunt

http://football.guardian.co.uk/fiver/

While Stan doesn't have a clue, Damien Duff has a hunch, one that gives him a wonky gait as he lurches down the wing and loses the ball like a man who once had plenty of talent but lost his hunger, confidence and way. It's hard to imagine anything happening tonight that could return Duff to what he used to be or make Ireland's qualification bid any more credible

A very fair assessment if you ask me. Duff has entered the comfort zone of long contract on high wages - NUFC have indeed bought another DUFFer.

I don't think anyone could have predicted how bad Duff has been for NUFC. However, we knew about this last month, and someone wants their arse kicking if there is any truth in a £7m bid from Spurs being rejected.

I've given up on Luque, like most, due to a number of circumstances. No-one is blameless for the Luque situation, neither the player nor the club, but I still think he's shown as much as Duff, who gets away with it for the time being because we've seen how good he was and because he doesn't immediately suffer from being accused of "lazy foreigner" syndrome.

[quote author=Wullie link=topic=35985.msg703064#msg703064 date=1170896990.

I've given up on Luque, like most, due to a number of circumstances. No-one is blameless for the Luque situation, neither the player nor the club, but I still think he's shown as much as Duff, who gets away with it for the time being because we've seen how good he was and because he doesn't immediately suffer from being accused of "lazy foreigner" syndrome.

Thanks for writing it before me..

I've seen Luque play over and over again in  spain,with Deportivo and Mallorca,he is class,his peformence with Deportivo for me is far better then that of Duff's peformence with Chelsea,to start,he didnt have a super stars team to work with

The fact is that Duff is

A) Roeder's signing

B) Is British

those are the two main reason he is being dropped to (well,whatever shitty rank Luque is in now,lower then our u-9 team thats for sure),and is not being called a lazy c*** who is wasting the clubs money..

writing duff off already is downrigth ignorant - yes, he has not performed, but he also hasn't played very much. give him a bit of time to settle in and get over his injuries - he is a quality player, he'll come around!

Guest Darth Toon

Given our current selection problems at the back, I would be tempted to give him a run at left back - he's played there before and its a position where less is expected creatively, so he could maybe feel his way back into a bit of form.

Stick Luque in front of him and he'll learn a thing or two about what happens when one of your wingers doesn't pull his weight as well.... :tongue:

I don't think anyone could have predicted how bad Duff has been for NUFC.

Easily predicted.

Anyone who had seen him play for Chelsea in his final two seasons could have seen this coming, because he was as shit for them as he has been for us.

I think the one good thing about Duff is he has openly admitted he has been playing very poorly. If he knows he is playing poor then hopefully he can get himself playing well again as he was once a very good player both at Blackburn and Chelsea and he has had a couple of good games for the club.

Guest Gemmill

I've seen Luque play over and over again in  spain,with Deportivo and Mallorca,he is class,his peformence with Deportivo for me is far better then that of Duff's peformence with Chelsea,to start,he didnt have a super stars team to work with

The fact is that Duff is

A) Roeder's signing

B) Is British

those are the two main reason he is being dropped to (well,whatever shitty rank Luque is in now,lower then our u-9 team thats for sure),and is not being called a lazy c*** who is wasting the clubs money..

How are you allowed to get away with posting this shit?  You should be banned for incessant drivel.  Is there nothing in the rules about that?  Will you please fuck off telling us how good Albert Luque is when we've all sat at SJP and watched him play and have seen that he is fucking crap.

Thank you.

well, Milner was crap this season until he had Solano playing behind him at RB, and now he's our most in-form player. i can imagine duff playing a lot better if we have Bridge or Baines giving him support. he wasn't great in his last season at chelsea, but the prvious 4 years (2 at chelsea, 2 at blackburn) he'd looked close to world-class. i don't think he's ever been a tradition winger who runs over great lengths with the ball, he's always at his best when up close to the penalty area and cutting inside.  cos of the way we've played at times this season, duff is often anchored down at the half-way line, and he's useless there.

well, Milner was crap this season until he had Solano playing behind him at RB, and now he's our most in-form player. i can imagine duff playing a lot better if we have Bridge or Baines giving him support. he wasn't great in his last season at chelsea, but the prvious 4 years (2 at chelsea, 2 at blackburn) he'd looked close to world-class. i don't think he's ever been a tradition winger who runs over great lengths with the ball, he's always at his best when up close to the penalty area and cutting inside.  cos of the way we've played at times this season, duff is often anchored down at the half-way line, and he's useless there.

What he says. It's way too early to give up on Duff, when the team as a whole is struggling for a pattern. He's not getting the ball in much time or space, and is trying too hard to make something happen in situations when it's not really on.

writing duff off already is downrigth ignorant - yes, he has not performed, but he also hasn't played very much. give him a bit of time to settle in and get over his injuries - he is a quality player, he'll come around!

aye give him time to settle in and get used to the English game lads

The fact is that Duff is

A) Roeder's signing

B) Is British

How are you allowed to get away with posting this s***?  You should be banned for incessant drivel.  Is there nothing in the rules about that?  Will you please f*** off telling us how good Albert Luque is when we've all sat at SJP and watched him play and have seen that he is f****** crap.

Thank you.

Its not as though he hasnt had a chance to play. However, now we've kept him on, i would expect roeder to do something positive with him.

Soccer Master, my Spanish football mad colleague has watched 1000's more hours of games in Spain than you have. 

As i posted here when we signed him, he thought he was an 'ok' player but that his attitude was immature and he sulked in games. That was said in September 2005. Funny how that has rung true with what we have seen here.

He his Catalonian and they love their own down there so wonder why he has such a vastly different opinion from you? Because you talk shit?

Anyway, more to the point, Duff is shite too tbh. Before you right him off though, think 'Nicky Butt'.

Soccer Master, my Spanish football mad colleague has watched 1000's more hours of games in Spain than you have. 

As i posted here when we signed him, he thought he was an 'ok' player but that his attitude was immature and he sulked in games. That was said in September 2005. Funny how that has rung true with what we have seen here.

He his Catalonian and they love their own down there so wonder why he has such a vastly different opinion from you? Because you talk shit?

Not wishing to wade into any arguement, but I could equally point out that a Spanish friend of mine is a Depor supporter and while saying they did well to get so much money for him, loved the guy to bits and still swears that given the right mananagement he would have done the club proud.

Not that he was particularly upset that Luque was failing mind, as he was rather hoping it would mean seeing a cut price deal for him to go back to his old club.

He his Catalonian and they love their own down there so wonder why he has such a vastly different opinion from you? Because you talk s***?

Not wishing to wade into any arguement, but I could equally point out that a Spanish friend of mine is a Depor supporter and while saying they did well to get so much money for him, loved the guy to bits and still swears that given the right mananagement he would have done the club proud.

Not that he was particularly upset that Luque was failing mind, as he was rather hoping it would mean seeing a cut price deal for him to go back to his old club.

Wade in son, nae bother.

My mate doesnt support Depor so him saying he was 'ok' is consistent with a slightly more positive report from a Depor fan. However, he is in his late 30's and is as cynical about spanish footballers as as we are about our own. His assessment about him being childish and sulky given to me the day after we signed him has stood up the whole time he has been here.

maybe he has a bit of nicky butt syndrome in his first season

Thought Gemmill  wouldve post something like that after i posted.. :lol:

Look.,My mate is spain is a madrid fan,i got a few others who are NOT Depor fans,they are stil shocked at the fact that our manager is ready to play ANYONE ahead of Luque,the guy was class,and propbly still is,he had a horrible injury then a few bad matchs,that still dosn't mean we completly write him off like what (some) of the fans and Roeder are doing now.

We spent 9.5 million pounds on him,and while we still don't know why did he fall so far in the pecking order despite doing no wrong this season,its still Roeder job to try and discover his best form,He can't do worse then whats Duff doing at the time,and while fans are still saying that Duff  will come good,Luque never got half the chance Duff got to improve,and people are already writting him off.

I am not saying its compeltly Roeder/The mangments fault Luque didnt turn out to be the player we hoped to be,Mabye he is doing fuck all in training,But tbh we are not giving him any reason why he should do anything else...

I could only hope Zoggy returns and becomes our first choice LW,But seeing how Roeder is treating Duff,that won't happen either..

I watched Duff at Fulham last week and he was either miles off match fitness OR is completely disinterested in playing for us.

Somethings not right with him. For what its worth, I suspect he isn't actually fit and was 'encouraged' to come back to the first 11 asap.

I don't think he's the type of player to be a lazy twat and sit here to collect his wages.

After all, he left Chelsea for regular football.

He might not have had to take a pay cut to come to us but he sure as hell won't be getting MORE money so the move was not cash driven. He hasn't joined us to sit on his arse and collect wages - he could've done that with Chelsea far more conspicuously as there would have no pressure on him to play week in, week out and he could have settled into the background whilst picking up a lot more win bonuses - see Arjen Robben.

I say give him the first couple of months of next season before righting him off and don't forget he hasn't actually played THAT many games in his preferred position since he joined. The lads played up front alone, off the striker and left back since he's joined and he hasn't had a run of games in any of those positions.

Time will tell.

Duff will probably become another Owen, one of these players that left for regular football but a section of the fans fail to see this and think he can't be arsed anymore because it isn't working out straight away!

Owen hates it so much here he did his cruciates on purpose is the rumour i heard btw...