Football books

Liam Liam Liam O

Guest Knightrider

SBR's, Gazza's, Best's, Mickey Quinn's, various footy history books, about the British, European and world game, Fergie's, Rafa's. Some very good books out there.

Guest Knightrider

Oh if you can get 'The magnificent obsession: Keegan, Newcastle & sixty million pounds', do so, and 'The Premiership: Lifting the lid on a national obsession' - both great books.

Guest Knightrider

And the story of Hughie Gallacher, read it and you'll see how he more than anyone symbolises NUFC, even to this day. An amazing story or triumph, controversy, greatness, falling from grace and tragedy.

bout nufc....john gibsons" the newcastle united story"  excellent account of the fairs cup run then some other bits.

"50 years of hurt"...thought it would be just another fans memoirs but had some very insightful bits in by players and staff that were there at crucial times in the clubs recent history.

harry pearson's."a far corner"...a laugh out loud book about the north east seen through football, a wylam based smoggie takes in loads of games beginning with toon V spuds,our first game in prem,for the rest of that season he takes in some crap(gateshead,crook,sunderland,bishop auckland,spennymoor,middlesboro,esh winning,etc)"

"50 years of hurt"...thought it would be just another fans memoirs but had some very insightful bits in by players and staff that were there at crucial times in the clubs recent history.

Just finished this one the other week. A very enjoyable read, and insightful for someone not as well versed in the history of the club like myself.

If I could ask my own question, does anyone have any other Newcastle related books to suggest? Surely something has been written about the 95/96 season.

Guest andynufc84

can anyone recommend any decent football books to read???

best one i've read recently by luis lourenco about jose mourinho.  reminds you what a good manager he is and what a cracking job he did at porto

Gazza's autobiography is a good read, as is Sir Bobb's

50 Years of hurt is an absolute MUST read for all toon fans young and old

Guest andynufc84

might get this like

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/P/1845960823.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V45162732_.jpg

its a top read

Got "Newcastle's Cult Heroes" for Christmas. Very decent read, looking at 20 of our best-ever players. It's not just another arse-licking effort. The author (cant remember his name) has some very interesting views on Shearer in particular.

Guest andynufc84

Goes up to the 04-05 season, up to the defeat at cardiff off Man u and the defeat in Lisbon

This was 50 years on from our last domestic trophy - the FA cup in 1955

If you like a more South American flavour, I can recommend:

"Futebol: The Brazilian Way Of Life" by Alex Bellos - I'm almost finished and it is absolutely magnificent!

"Soccer in Sun and Shadow" by Eduardo Galeano - another excellent, very passionate read. Very moving, sometimes its goosebumps, sometimes you can feel exhiliration surge through you!

• 2 weeks later...

If you like a more South American flavour, I can recommend:

"Futebol: The Brazilian Way Of Life" by Alex Bellos - I'm almost finished and it is absolutely magnificent!

Yeah. That's a top book

"The Ball Is Round: A Global History of Football" by David Goldblatt - Very extensive, about 1000 pages long - reads more like a standard history book than the usual sort of generic books you get on Football.

"A Mag For All Seasons" - Billy Furious (from The Mag) - Looks back at the 92/93 promotion season. Very funny and great to remember what was a brilliantly fun season.

"The Far Corner" - Harry Pearson - It's an 'oldie' now, but still a brilliant look at NE Football. Very funny, and hits the nail on the head with what the NE is like.

"Newcastle United: Fifty Years of Hurt" - Ged Clarke - A great read examining the last 50 years or so and the fact we've won nothing (excluding the Fairs Cup). It's frustrating just reading about it, but very good.

"Football Against The Enemy" - Simon Kuper - Another 'oldie'. It came out in about 1994. But full of some funny/strange/tragic football stories. Including the East Berlin supporters of Hertha Berlin (of West Berlin), one of whom did everything he could to follow his team, trying to dodge the East German authorities to watch Hertha (and other West German sides) play in Eastern Europe

Diego Maradona's book is a great read

That one disappointed me. Considering he's such a controversial character, his drug dalliances and out of football experiences are hardly touched on. Fergies autobiography is great though.