Gooch

Dragon55544

From his performances so far i'd be looking elsewhere at the end of the season.

I just hope we didn't pay too much in a loan fee, but knowing us we paid something scatty as we were desperate.

He could get better, he prides himself on learning so fingers crossed its just teething problems.

If we do sign him though, we need someone else as well, we still haven't replaced Boomshit, Bramble could be going and Moore is a certain to be off, we need a new defense come the summer, thats obvious.

Couldn't believe it when he just gave the ball to Bent under minimal pressure. Bent should have buried it, sitter really.

That moment was Bramble-esque, though I wouldn't write him off 100% just yet. Has to show a hell of a lot more to be kept on though.

I wouldn't write him off 100% just yet. Has to show a hell of a lot more to be kept on though.

Exactly.  Look at Vidic last season, he was woeful, but has now been arguably one of the best defenders in the premiership this season.

Its extremely hard to judge how good or bad Gooch actually is when hes playing alongside the likes of Bramble etc

I wouldn't write him off 100% just yet. Has to show a hell of a lot more to be kept on though.

Exactly.  Look at Vidic last season, he was woeful, but has now been arguably one of the best defenders in the premiership this season.

Its extremely hard to judge how good or bad Gooch actually is when hes playing alongside the likes of Bramble etc

I was going to mention Vidic actually, but I wasn't sure how badly he had actually started. I remember Evra starting very poorly though.

Guest Knightrider

I feel sorry for Gooch and think it would be unfair to write him off because he's come into a very disorganised set-up, one that he nor any defender really could ship into shape such are the problems in defence and the team. That said he doesn't look like someone who will make a difference long-term and while he may be better than others in defence, we need much more than being better than shite, we need the complete opposite, not an inbetween.

I was going to mention Vidic actually, but I wasn't sure how badly he had actually started. I remember Evra starting very poorly though.

There was a Redcafe thread where they wanted both Vidic and Evra out at half time in their debuts. :lol:

I feel sorry for Gooch and think it would be unfair to write him off because he's come into a very disorganised set-up, one that he nor any defender really could ship into shape such are the problems in defence and the team. That said he doesn't look like someone who will make a difference long-term and while he may be better than others in defence, we need much more than being better than shite, we need the complete opposite, not an inbetween.

At least the bloke has some raw materials to work with, though. Unlike Ramage and Huntington, in particular. Depending on the fee I think we should definitely look at keeping a hold of him, hopefully with a view to partnering him with a top-class player. He's massive, already fairly good in the air, seems to be fairly athletic along with it and he has showed, at times, some ability with the ball at his feet.

He has been dodgy-ish, yes, but like you've said he's come into a dodgy team at a bad time and hasn't been helped by having to miss the European games.

Nobody is beyond saving, ever, especially not after a few games.

Guest Knightrider

One good thing in our favour here if we do want to sign him is that Gooch's not so brilliant performances could well lower his price or stave off competition which could also bring the price down, i.e. many suitors = potential auction. I'd like to see more myself though. Even at £2m I think such a fee would be too high for him based on what I've seen.

One good thing in our favour here if we do want to sign him is that Gooch's not so brilliant performances could well lower his price or stave off competition which could also bring the price down, i.e. many suitors = potential auction. I'd like to see more myself though. Even at £2m I think such a fee would be too high for him based on what I've seen.

Most definitely. But I'm sure I recall reading at the time we got him that his contract was expired in the summer and that we've agreed a fee already with Standard if we want to make the deal permanent. If his contract is up and Standard have allowed him to leave on loan then surely that fee is going to be next-to-nothing?

It's either this summer or next summer, at the latest.

Details of the loan agreement were not released, but given Onyewu's contract with Standard expired at the end of June, two scenarios were likely. First, Standard required an extension of the player's contract before agreeing to the loan, therefore allowing the team to collect a transfer fee over the summer. It was reported Newcastle has an option to retain Onyewu beyond the 2006-07 season. If this is the case, a transfer fee and the player's salary for future seasons were probably negotiated into the loan agreement.

Less likely, Standard felt Onyewu might reject all transfer offers, and therefore it risked losing him after this season for no compensation at all. In that case, Standard might decide whatever money it received for the loan -- a sum that could be substantial -- was better than nothing. Meanwhile, Newcastle certainly assumed Onyewu's salary for the remainder of this season.

Source

£1m-£2m are the fees mentioned there from when Fulham (£1m), Chelsea (£2m) and Marseille (£2m) were rumoured to have made bids for him. Seems to make sense and is a well-written enough article, from a decent source, to suggest there may be truth to it.

So it looks to be between £0-2m for him, that's quite a range. Certainly not the £3m/£4m some have suggested.

Why must we always sign (apparent) quality in midfield and attack yet never in defence?

When we sign midfielders or strikers as half-measures people are furious. Players like Amdy Faye or Sibierski.

Yet when it comes to defenders people make cases for bringing them in. The defence must be measured just as strictly as other areas of the team. Would you have it if we brought in players like this in midfield or up front?

I recognise the club's lack of a major transfer budget and the probably departure of Bramble and/or Moore. However we all know rightly the club will once again spend most of the budget in midfield or attack, don't we? I'm sure we have enough money to put a decent defence together. I'm equally sure it won't happen.

Why must we always sign (apparent) quality in midfield and attack yet never in defence?

When we sign midfielders or strikers as half-measures people are furious. Players like Amdy Faye or Sibierski.

Yet when it comes to defenders people make cases for bringing them in. The defence must be measured just as strictly as other areas of the team. Would you have it if we brought in players like this in midfield or up front?

I recognise the club's lack of a major transfer budget and the probably departure of Bramble and/or Moore. However we all know rightly the club will once again spend most of the budget in midfield or attack, don't we? I'm sure we have enough money to put a decent defence together. I'm equally sure it won't happen.

I think we should blow whatever budget in the summer we have on defenders. Davies, Woodgate & Baines at a very minimum, a equally as good RB to measure.

Whatever we sell after that can pay for other places, but bar a injury crisis like this we don't really need to focus on mid or attack for next season at least.

But we wont. We'll release Moore & Gooch. Re-sign Bramble, possibly off load Carr & continue with Babayaro being our only leftback int he squad while going off and signing a £15m striker.

This lad may come good, but the manner of his transfer should raise alarm bells. I'm surprised people haven't factored this in and said 'hang on a minute'.

Here we have a cheap last-minute loan signing brought in during the middle of an injury crisis. Does this strike you as a player thoroughly researched by the club or a panic signing because we simply had to get someone? And really what are the chances that we have flukily found the man we need. It's desperate transfer business.

As I say, he might come good but it would be a bit of a fluke if you ask me. I'm not convinced the club know what they are doing.

Oh. It was an absolute panic signing. It always seemed to me that Roeder had barely heard of the fella before the media started linking us to him. I distinctly remember him saying, 'Um. Yeah, I know about him but we're not signing him.' The whole thing smacked of the move for 'I've never heard of the fella' Benayoun except we actually went for Gooch because we were desperate.

Still cannot make my mind up about him, is he the best of a bad bunch ?

Moore will be away so we will be buying a new CB, I think Titus could be gone to so I suppose we could take the risk and give Gooch a season or 2 to prove he can be a Premiership player.