Should we keep Owen for next season & resist the urge to use him this season?

Guest Knightrider
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest Knightrider

Now that Owen is up and running again, and his return nears ever closer, I'd like us to resist temptation and keep him back for next season and to use caution like we did with Dyer.

Going off World footage it appears Owen is in the midst of what can only be described as somekind of a pre-season to prepare him for playing matches again, and such a work-out will require a lot of energy from him and by the time he is ready, not only could our season be over, but it is unlikely he will play enough matches to get match sharp (that could take months).

Indeed by the time he is fit, the season will be coming to an end and for him to have such a stop/start period in his rehabilitation could be counterproductive. And the last thing he needs is two pre-seasons either side of a few matches, in quick sucession which could well happen.

In my opinion I think it would be best for all concerned if we kept him back for the start of next season, so that he can start 2007-08 fully fit, sharp and raring to go... at a time when defenders won't quite be at their sharpest. In the meantime we can work on his hamstrings like we have done with Dyer, to get to the root of those problems once and for all, which if you read various things, could even help his pace to return, if fixed properly.

If we rush him back, things could go bad, or he could come back, struggle and have it all to do again for the start of 2007-08. A fully fit and on form, sharp, raring to go Michael Owen, with all his problems behind him, will prove to be worth every single penny of his huge cost and wages, but if we mess things up, we could be looking at one of the biggest write-offs in the club's history, if not the biggest.

He is too precious to our needs, too important, to take a Souness like gamble on his fitness much less coming in and actually contributing. It doesn't quite work like that, if he comes back this season it will take him a long time to get back up to speed and knowing our luck, he'll probably pick up an injury. I say hold him back for next season, how about you?

PS I deleted the other thread as I wanted to make a poll, and ballsed it up.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Depends on our situation. If it is a case of challenging for a UEFA cup spot, bring him back. If it is mid atble mediocrity wait till next season.

Guest Knightrider

If we make the UEFA Cup Final, and Martins is out injured, then aye, play Owen, but I'd like us to resit the urge for once, and take our time with this one. I'm heartened by the progress shown in World footage, though.

he should come back as and when ready,regardless of when in the season it is.it will take him long enough to get match fit and in the swing as it is without keeping him out needlessly longer.if he gets 3 or 4 games in this season it will do him no harm and only good for the start of next season.

we have to bring him back the way blackburn brought shearer back where he was used from the bench for a few games,not the standard nufc way,"you've passed a fitness test,there you go 90mins"

We should NOT rush him into action

We already counted him out of our line-up this season,and i see no reason to rush him into action and risk having him suffring a career ending injury.

I say save him for next season,in those two or three games he will play this season he will be adjusting to playing football games again,so he might not be at best,we should give him a game or two with the reserves,then play him in our pre-season friendly's/Intertoto cup (if we reach it),that way we can slowly start playing him with the first team more and more untill he is fully recoverd from his injury,and back to his former self.

Rushing him back this season will do us/him no good,it will be far better if we keep him for next season

This is actually one thing where I think we can trust Roeder. He will not rush him back and will do everything that can be done for him to get over his fitness troubles.

I say no, play him this season.

I don't think he will be with us next season, so it'll be nice to see him play for us.

I really can't see him leaving, we wont let our trophy signing leave on the cheap and I can't see anyone rushing to give us back what we paid.

Guest smoggeordie

Let him make his comeback in the Uefa cup final in Glasgow. Him and Martins will set the whole europe on fire!

What fucking use are arsenists to our club though?  Jesus fucking christ.

I say no, play him this season.

I don't think he will be with us next season, so it'll be nice to see him play for us.

I really can't see him leaving, we wont let our trophy signing leave on the cheap and I can't see anyone rushing to give us back what we paid.

:rolleyes: