St James' Park

Delima

Guest icemanblue

For everyone who thinks this wasn't going to happen anyway:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fu%C3%9Fball-Bundesliga

Would like to know how many of those are new grounds.

Bay Arena - Bayer Leverkusen - 1958

Signal Iduna Park - Dortmund - 1974

badenova Stadium - Freiburg - 1953

Imtech Arena - Hamburg - 1953

AWD Arena - Hanover - 1954

Rhein Energy Stadium - Koln - 1923

easycredit Stadium - Nuremberg - 1928

Mercedes Benz Arena - Stuttgart  - 1933

They are the older stadiums in Bundesliga 1 which have been renamed multiple times for many years. There are even more lower down the leagues.

In deals which got the teams money.

I'm not arguing against the people saying his brand being advertised is wrong. I am arguing with the "we have sold our history" people.

I don't quite get your logic though, just because other teams have done this, it doesn't mean it isn't selling your history or your identity. Maybe other clubs have sold their souls, it doesn't mean we should be happy we're doing it.

Go have a look on a video site at fans of those teams and then tell me they have sold their souls.

You're missing the point, I'm not saying anything to do with the fans.

We might recover in a few years time, and stop being annoyed about this. New generations might forget it was ever called SJP, so it won't matter to them. People who don't appreciate the symbolism of football will continue to ignore its importance. But that doesn't mean this move is right or should happen.

Fundamentally in a perfect world it shouldn't but we live in reality and in reality FFP dictates the need to sell the stadium naming rights.

It really doesn't, like.

So where else will clubs make up the revenue they lose by not selling stadium naming rights.

What revenue are we losing? If it wasn't there before, how can we lose it? As things stand, we're not even making any money from this anyway.

There is a massive difference between changing the home ground, city , colours or name of a club and selling stadium sponsor rights which will need to be done by every club in England very soon.

Why does it need to be done?

It is the biggest revenue raiser any club has. Having actually worked in this field before it brings in huge amounts of money.

I was more aiming at the fact that if everyone does this, everyone will spend it on players. Players will earn more money and no-one will be any more competitive than they were before. It just continues the wage-price spiral.

For everyone who thinks this wasn't going to happen anyway:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fu%C3%9Fball-Bundesliga

Would like to know how many of those are new grounds.

They are the older stadiums in Bundesliga 1 which have been renamed multiple times for many years. There are even more lower down the leagues.

In deals which got the teams money.

I'm not arguing against the people saying his brand being advertised is wrong. I am arguing with the "we have sold our history" people.

I don't quite get your logic though, just because other teams have done this, it doesn't mean it isn't selling your history or your identity. Maybe other clubs have sold their souls, it doesn't mean we should be happy we're doing it.

Go have a look on a video site at fans of those teams and then tell me they have sold their souls.

You're missing the point, I'm not saying anything to do with the fans.

We might recover in a few years time, and stop being annoyed about this. New generations might forget it was ever called SJP, so it won't matter to them. People who don't appreciate the symbolism of football will continue to ignore its importance. But that doesn't mean this move is right or should happen.

Fundamentally in a perfect world it shouldn't but we live in reality and in reality FFP dictates the need to sell the stadium naming rights.

It really doesn't, like.

So where else will clubs make up the revenue they lose by not selling stadium naming rights.

What revenue are we losing? If it wasn't there bother, how can we lose it? As things stand, we're not even making any money from this anyway.

And we're losing money from all the free billboards taking up what were previously paid billboards.  And if we're only willing to sell the shirt and stadium rights as a package, then we'll not only not have stadium money, we will indefinitely lose shirt sponsorship money until someone comes up with an offer Mike decides is worth his while giving up his free advertising for.

can someone give sydneycove a f***ing job or summik? this issue has been massively derailed by his bullshit

My bullshit. Show me anything I have posted that isn't a solid fact.

what you're on about is fucking pointless dude, who gives a shit about German clubs?  we're being sold down the river one piece at a time by an absolute cunt of a man, trawling wikipedia to find examples of other poor fuckers who've had to endure that doesn't make it ok

you're entitled to your opinion, i just find that it's focused in on one small facet of this whole thing when the key issues for me are (a) the fucking appalling timing and (b) the fact we're not actually getting any money for this in contrast to the other clubs you mentioned

the generation thing is being far too easily ignored by you either 'cause you don't understand it or you don't care - something like that shouldn't be given away for FREE, it just shouldn't

"You know Chelsea has come out to basically say they are going to re-name their present stadium. Now, they have a long history as well, but they have an owner who actually has more money than God.

"We can't compare ourselves to Abramovich, we have not got that sort of money, so if we want to compete with the big boys, we have to bring more money in."

No we won't though

Mike Ashley is a successful businessman who obviously knows how to make money, but I don't understand the logic behind the unbreakable link he has created between Sports Direct and NUFC. It can only harm the club, put off potential sponsors and cost NUFC money.

I guess he knows all this and just wants exposure for Sports Direct, without worrying about the financial impact on NUFC. But since he's the sole owner of the club anyway, that doesn't really make sense either - while he's helping Sports Direct/himself, he's harming NUFC/himself.

Surely the best thing would be to run them both in their own best interests? I'm confused TBH.

Guest sydneycove

There is a massive difference between changing the home ground, city , colours or name of a club and selling stadium sponsor rights which will need to be done by every club in England very soon.

Why does it need to be done?

It is the biggest revenue raiser any club has. Having actually worked in this field before it brings in huge amounts of money.

I was more aiming at the fact that if everyone does this, everyone will spend it on players. Players will earn more money and no-one will be any more competitive than they were before. It just continues the wage-price spiral.

The FFP rules should solve that issue and make sure this doesn't happen.

Guest WashyGeordie

Hopefully it'll go the same way as Sports Direct @ St James' Park... Down the pan.

Pisses me off that we're funding a shitty company like SD, what next? Shirt sponsor? Club name change? Red and blue kits? Load of bollocks.

Imtech Arena, formerly known as HSH Nordbank Arena (2007), formerly known as AOL Arena (2001), formerly known as Volksparkstadion. It's like a bad joke and I laugh every time I pass it.

Should add though that among fans and media it is usually called HSV Arena or Volkparkstadion.

Guest sydneycove

Imtech Arena, formerly known as HSH Nordbank Arena (2007), formerly known as AOL Arena (2001), formerly known as Volksparkstadion. It's like a bad joke and I laugh every time I pass it.

Should add though that among fans and media it is usually called HSV Arena or Volkparkstadion.

And still known as Hamburg Arena for European games.

Guest WashyGeordie

The difference is that we're not actually getting any income off it from the SportsDirect tag. The clubs not benefiting from it, we're just promoting his business.

According to WIKI:

"An arena is an enclosed area, often circular or oval-shaped, designed to showcase theatre, musical performances, or sporting events. It is composed of a large open space surrounded on most or all sides by tiered seating for spectators."

Still sucks though.

"With the renaming it was always going to be whatever brand it was, at St James' Park. For the remainder of this season, we already have sportsdirect.com on the Gallowgate so we'd like to take that branding through the rest of the stadium."

Llambias said that any future naming deal would still include the phrase "@StJames'Park".

More fucking lies Derek?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/nov/04/newcastle-united-naming-stadium-rights

I was raging about this yesterday, but now that has passed, and I'm actually less bothered than I thought.

Part of the modern game is unfortunately maximising commercial income, particularly now with the FFP rules, and in my view it will soon be the exception that stadium rights are not sold. Arsenal have done it, Man City have done it, Liverpool will do it if they move stadium. It isn't as if we are alone.

I suppose what is different is that those examples are new stadiums that have no history, and it hits home a lot harder when you have a stadium that has been St. James' Park for 100 years. But they way I look at it is that the reason why it is such a special ground is that it is slap bang in the middle of one of the best city centres in the world, and if most away fans were honest it must be one of the best away trips. None of that will change, we will still have a fantastic ground in an amazing city centre location, not stuck on a retail park in the suburbs, generating that unique pre-match atmosphere in town on match day, and we will still all call it St. James' Park.