St James' Park

Delima

was there blue on the 74 cup final shirt ?

come on man mick, look at the strip, get someone to describe it to you on looking at it, they'll say, black and white stripes with virgin money written on it. the advertising is totally unavoidable. the original blue star top was like something from the 3:30 at kempton.

We didn't have any shirt sponsorship until 1980.

Advertising is everywhere in football. It's on the shirts, on the hoardings, on the ball, on your ticket, on the concourse, in the programme, on your hot dog - it's everywhere. The next step is to rename the stadium. The official name has changed but how many of us use it? The BBC may use it, Sky may use it but I've not heard a single person use it in the flesh during a conversation. The change has made no impact on how I view things.

Not saying I like it because I'd rather he hadn't done it. The hoardings look shit. The roof of the Gallowgate looks shit, no arguments there but if it wasn't Sports Direct then it would be another company being advertised in the same space.

The crux of it for me are that we're getting no benefit from all of this. We've relinquished the name of our stadium for no benefit and that's out of order. Had Sports Direct coughed up £8m (or whatever) a year for the privilege of naming the stadium then it would have been easier to swallow. The fact it's being done for zero benefit to the club is the real sickener. If someone like Nike come in and offer real cash for the right to change the name of the ground then there would be a sea-change in opinion.

Advertising is everywhere in football. It's on the shirts, on the hoardings, on the ball, on your ticket, on the concourse, in the programme, on your hot dog - it's everywhere. The next step is to rename the stadium. The official name has changed but how many of us use it? The BBC may use it, Sky may use it but I've not heard a single person use it in the flesh during a conversation. The change has made no impact on how I view things.

Not saying I like it because I'd rather he hadn't done it. The hoardings look s***. The roof of the Gallowgate looks s***, no arguments there but if it wasn't Sports Direct then it would be another company being advertised in the same space.

The crux of it for me are that we're getting no benefit from all of this. We've relinquished the name of our stadium for no benefit and that's out of order. Had Sports Direct coughed up £8m (or whatever) a year for the privilege of naming the stadium then it would have been easier to swallow. The fact it's being done for zero benefit to the club is the real sickener. If someone like Nike come in and offer real cash for the right to change the name of the ground then there would be a sea-change in opinion.

The name of the ground will change over time, I still call the Leazes by that name, my kids call it the Sir John Hall because that's all they've ever known.

was there blue on the 74 cup final shirt ?

come on man mick, look at the strip, get someone to describe it to you on looking at it, they'll say, black and white stripes with virgin money written on it. the advertising is totally unavoidable. the original blue star top was like something from the 3:30 at kempton.

We didn't have any shirt sponsorship until 1980.

i've been picking out tops from various worthy points in the clubs history (though many would say 74 wasn't worthy), 74 was an example, i could have said 1927, was there  blue on that ? no, then all of a sudden theres a blue star on it, don't tell me it didn't change the design of the strip, it was still just black and white stripes. i'd be happier to sell the name of the ground and get rid of shirt sponsorship that we don't have to see if we want to watch our team, that we don't have to wear if we want to wear colours.

Not saying I like it because I'd rather he hadn't done it. The hoardings look s***. The roof of the Gallowgate looks s***, no arguments there but if it wasn't Sports Direct then it would be another company being advertised in the same space.

The name of the ground will change over time, I still call the Leazes by that name, my kids call it the Sir John Hall because that's all they've ever known.

I don't think it's going to be called the Sports Direct Arena for the next 15 years though. It'll change as often as the shirt sponsors do. It won't stay the same long enough to take hold.

It'll always be St. James' Park to those who matter.

my kids don't and my nephew and his mates don't. i don't actually know anyone that does. even talked to a chelsea fan who asked where his seat was and i said the leazes "ahh i see" was the reply.

i've been picking out tops from various worthy points in the clubs history (though many would say 74 wasn't worthy), 74 was an example, i could have said 1927, was there  blue on that ? no, then all of a sudden theres a blue star on it, don't tell me it didn't change the design of the strip, it was still just black and white stripes. i'd be happier to sell the name of the ground and get rid of shirt sponsorship that we don't have to see if we want to watch our team, that we don't have to wear if we want to wear colours.

We'll have to agree to disagree, shirt sponsorship changes nothing for me but I wasn't over the moon about Greenalls, mainly because the beer was piss and I'm sure it was served at the ground while they sponsored the club.

I don't think it's going to be called the Sports Direct Arena for the next 15 years though. It'll change as often as the shirt sponsors do. It won't stay the same long enough to take hold.

I don't think it will change that often.

the big question for me is if it'll change at all ?

I think if they're going to hawk it out then it'll go the the company offering the best deal. That'll change fairly often imo.

Best case scenario is that we get bought by someone who gives enough of a shit to revert back to St. James' Park and sticks to it. We'll have to wait and see though.

I think the damage is done.

As and when the next owner(s) come in, they won't pass up the opportunity to stick their name up there. I'm a romantic when it comes to football but even I won't dream that the next owners will put the fans' wants ahead of commercial development.

Much like Madras' gripe about shirt sponsorship, once the the ball is rolling, that's the way it will stay. The best we can hope for, is that it's a company with a local connection.

Very sad.

I find it astonishing that people think this is ok or at least aren't "bothered" by it. It's every bit part of the club's identity just like the black and white stripes are, just as the very name Newcastle United is. The stadium has been called St James' Park since the club began and that has to mean something, and it isn't even a romanticism either because certain parts of a football club have to remain for the life of the club and the name of the ground the team plays at is one of them unless the club moves elseware. People can point to other clubs all they want, it doesn't make it right.

Anyone who can say they aren't bothered because people will still call it St James' are wrong as well. Maybe you will call it that, but what about in 40 or 50 years? Will a child born tomorrow call it that when they are older? Also even today it isn't just about the name, as Dave said earlier it's everything in and around the stadium. Sports Direct signs are around the outside of the ground, around the pitch, around the seating areas, in huge banners beside the away fans, hanging from the East Stand and Gallowgate, painted in HUGE lettering on the roof of the Gallowgate, the centre circle before kick off, around the dug outs and absolutely everywhere else in the ground, I even think someone said it was written inside the goal posts and crossbars. It isn't just the name of the stadium that is going here, it's the face of it as well.

Other clubs that sold their naming rights haven't had their stadium destroyed like St James' either. The inside of The Emirates for example is all Arsenal FC, right up to painting their clubs honours around the top of the stands. We're slowly but surely becoming Sports Direct FC, not literally (I hope), but in every other way. Since Ashley started this nonsense it has been Sports Direct first, Newcastle United second, you only need to look at our stadium for proof. It's disgusting and it beggars belief that people aren't bothered to see it happening.

I find it astonishing that people think this is ok or at least aren't "bothered" by it. It's every bit part of the club's identity just like the black and white stripes are, just as the very name Newcastle United is. The stadium has been called St James' Park since the club began and that has to mean something, and it isn't even a romanticism either because certain parts of a football club have to remain for the life of the club and the name of the ground the team plays at is one of them unless the club moves elseware. People can point to other clubs all they want, it doesn't make it right.

Anyone who can say they aren't bothered because people will still call it St James' are wrong as well. Maybe you will call it that, but what about in 40 or 50 years? Will a child born tomorrow call it that when they are older? Also even today it isn't just about the name, as Dave said earlier it's everything in and around the stadium. Sports Direct signs are around the outside of the ground, around the pitch, around the seating areas, in huge banners beside the away fans, hanging from the East Stand and Gallowgate, painted in HUGE lettering on the roof of the Gallowgate, the centre circle before kick off, around the dug outs and absolutely everywhere else in the ground, I even think someone said it was written inside the goal posts and crossbars. It isn't just the name of the stadium that is going here, it's the face of it as well.

Other clubs that sold their naming rights haven't had their stadium destroyed like St James' either. The inside of The Emirates for example is all Arsenal FC, right up to painting their clubs honours around the top of the stands. We're slowly but surely becoming Sports Direct FC, not literally (I hope), but in every other way. Since Ashley started this nonsense it has been Sports Direct first, Newcastle United second, you only need to look at our stadium for proof. It's disgusting and it beggars belief that people aren't bothered to see it happening.

:clap:

Some people are being really condescendingly aggessive about people caring. "It's just a sign, it always be called st james, doesn't mean anything.  Well a sign that consists of words, and words most certainly do mean something. And it won't always be called, st james's, in fact it isn't.

I know I call most stadium's by their official names, their sponsors name if that's the case, and kids will. Maybe less so in Newcastle, but it's what happens. Kids learn stadium names from Premier League Sticker Books, BBC etc and there will be a generation who know it as Sports Direct Arena, if it stays that way for a signif amount of time.

Laughable comparisons here. Even if this brought in income

how ?

A shirt which design changes regularly; even in the old days with different crests and a new style each decade' isn't comparable to something that has been a defining presence in the institution that is NUFC. With the shirts the crest is there, the colours are a constant and as is the name of the club. What we have officially now have is a non-entity of a name directly in place of (gone, possibly forever) one that ALL Newcastle fans love. People will alway debate kits and sponsors but he knew, he knew that this is the one thing that every fan would be unhappy or have reservations about and still went ahead and did it. Perhaps you're right and this is the future, but I don't believe for one second that he's doing this to be a pioneer of sponsorship and doing this for financial reasons to benefit the club. He's been spited by the fans in the past, owes them no favours in his mind and is using this stadium as endorsement of his own company. I don't mind him plastering his crap on the stadium a hundred billionenth as much as this. He is the owner and I'd expect him to look after his own inteests to an extent. This though is just shameless and insensitive to any Newcastle fan.

No excuse at all for the graffiti Ashley's put up in and around the ground, it's just an eyesore. No one's going to pay millions for that, probably as cheap and more effective while being less likely to piss people off just to advertise your company on TV, radio or billboards.

Guest Wally_McFool

Another round of applause from over here for that man.  :clap2: