St James' Park: "NEWCASTLE UNITED" lettering on East Stand roof being replaced (Official)

Delima

Other than considering the cost of upgrade vs cost of new and potential capacity there is no financial incentive for the club to move is there?

I'd guess St James as it is would become flats or commercial use but the council own the land don't they so there would be no sale value (unless a deal is done with the council to share in any sales proceeds should the Council be looking to raise funds and are keen to move us on)?

If I had a spare fiver I'd put it on us being in the process of building a new stadium within 5 years

52 minutes ago, Paully said:

"From what I can tell, the land was being used as a storage area for the student flats development that now surrounds the Strawberry pub and, is in the process of being cleared to hand the land back."

Can't imagine this being particularly insightful considering he isn't even aware what that development is, it's not student flats. :lol: 

18 hours ago, Whitley mag said:

Sore subject but aren’t Radisson building one of their top end hotels on the St James metro site ?

Think I read the same. The Reuben luxury hotel development looks very cool. 

4 hours ago, Colos Short and Curlies said:

Other than considering the cost of upgrade vs cost of new and potential capacity there is no financial incentive for the club to move is there?

I'd guess St James as it is would become flats or commercial use but the council own the land don't they so there would be no sale value (unless a deal is done with the council to share in any sales proceeds should the Council be looking to raise funds and are keen to move us on)?

If I had a spare fiver I'd put it on us being in the process of building a new stadium within 5 years

I think you’re spot on, when all avenues are properly explored they’ll arrive at the only viable option being a new stadium.

We’ll end up at Castle Leazes or just slightly further up Barrack Road, with the current site handed back as parkland and a big Wembley way leading through it from the city centre. It’ll be sold as creating jobs, current site not being viable, staying in city centre, crucial for growing club and class leading environmentally.

22 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

I think you’re spot on, when all avenues are properly explored they’ll arrive at the only viable option being a new stadium.

We’ll end up at Castle Leazes or just slightly further up Barrack Road, with the current site handed back as parkland and a big Wembley way leading through it from the city centre. It’ll be sold as creating jobs, current site not being viable, staying in city centre, crucial for growing club and class leading environmentally.

Bloody hope so

I assume it's not possible for St. James Park to be expanded by building down into the ground and having the pitch significantly below ground level?

Like the Camp Nou, for example.

Would mean you wouldn't have to make the East Stand any taller and get around that issue that way.

I've no idea if it's architecturally feasible at all to lower the Leazes and Gallowgate stands, probably not or would be more hassle than it's worth?

Would be a real shame if the stadium moved significantly from its current location, best thing about SJP is where it is.

13 hours ago, Stifler said:

They only really got that because they were building it for the Olympics and realised that if they let the athletics have it to themselves, then it would cost too much.

They should have just sold the site to West Ham and let them build their own stadium.

Didn’t Tottenham and Orient want to use the ground? 

3 hours ago, Shak said:

I assume it's not possible for St. James Park to be expanded by building down into the ground and having the pitch significantly below ground level?

Like the Camp Nou, for example.

Would mean you wouldn't have to make the East Stand any taller and get around that issue that way.

I've no idea if it's architecturally feasible at all to lower the Leazes and Gallowgate stands, probably not or would be more hassle than it's worth?

Would be a real shame if the stadium moved significantly from its current location, best thing about SJP is where it is.

to dig down you need excess room around the pitch. like an olympic running track. We could demolish everything and start again to utilize the space better(or even move further up barrack road as suggested) but that wouldn't make much financial sense right now. 

Personally I think in 10 years time we will still be at SJP and we will expand somehow because that's what the owners have said is there preference, remember these guys have done the due diligence unlike Mike Ashley who didn't. and famously said things and changed his mind (or just lied)

All the little improvements they have made to SJP would be a waste of time if we were going to flatten it 

15 hours ago, Colos Short and Curlies said:

With what the Saudis are paying golfers and are prepared to pay Ronaldo, I don't think cost is an issue.

Time could be though, if they want Newcastle to be part of Vision 2030, they might want a new flagship stadium on the banks of the river

1 hour ago, LV said:

They’ve said moving from St James’s would be like ripping the soul out of the club.

We’re not gonna move and I’m really glad about that. 

Same.

Still not sure why people keep talking about relocating on here and on social media when the club have said the above.

2 hours ago, LV said:

They’ve said moving from St James’s would be like ripping the soul out of the club.

We’re not gonna move and I’m really glad about that. 

I get the emotional stuff upto a point,

Has a new staduim ripped the heart out of man city, arsenal or spurs ?

Where hemmed in by St James tce and Leazes tce, looks like fat Mike has us fucked behind the gallowgate aswell,it's a pity that the arena site isn't a goer ,

The back of the east stand is a plight and if we cannot do redevelopment  their, then we need an alternative city centre  site.

The next  generation of support isn't  as sentimental as the selfish auld duffers. 

52 minutes ago, TheGuv said:

Same.

Still not sure why people keep talking about relocating on here and on social media when the club have said the above.

Plans change. We have a bigger potential fanbase than Man City, for example, who despite the incredible success in recent years, are probably in the right sized ground/still struggle to fill it at times (don’t think the location/transport helps fwiw). If, catch me if I swoon, we had anything like that level of success, it would be back to the frustrating inaccessibility of the height of the Keegan era. Having thousands on the waiting list for season tickets and losing the flexibility of selling champions league tickets/packages to ‘occasional’ out of area newbie fans will change corporate minds. 

Also, I love SJP. Can’t describe, in my now occasional visitor status, how much of a sense of homecoming and connection to people and times of my past I get from visiting. But the idea that it is our home and we can’t have that feeling unless it is on that patch of ground doesn’t make sense to me. It’s a bit like Trigger’s broom from Only Fools and Horses, I.e. it isn’t really the same and bears little resemblance to the SJP of my youth. Something like Spurs’s stadium, relatively close to the city centre would be absolutely amazing—should we actually get to the point were we need it. 

For me SJP is entirely about it's position in the city, there isn't a single stone left from the ground in which I first attended. I still get a buzz from the walk up to the ground, the anticipation the crowds but it's an entirely different occasion once inside. 

I think there’s a real fine line with capacity.

Too small and you lock people out BUT there’s a real clamour for tickets enhancing the occasion and atmosphere.

Too big, imo 65,000+ and you really run the risk of becoming a day tripper stadium like the Nou Camp, Old Trafford, Anfield etc. I really really really don’t want a 75,000 seater stadium full of day trippers. It’ll massively affect the atmosphere and at that stage you’ve lost what made NUFC and its fans so special and no doubt what was a huge factor in buying the club. 

1 hour ago, TheGuv said:

I think there’s a real fine line with capacity.

Too small and you lock people out BUT there’s a real clamour for tickets enhancing the occasion and atmosphere.

Too big, imo 65,000+ and you really run the risk of becoming a day tripper stadium like the Nou Camp, Old Trafford, Anfield etc. I really really really don’t want a 75,000 seater stadium full of day trippers. It’ll massively affect the atmosphere and at that stage you’ve lost what made NUFC and its fans so special and no doubt what was a huge factor in buying the club. 

I think 65,000 is the ideal capacity. We could comfortably sell 50,000 season tickets, still offer 3k tickets to away clubs and leave 12,000 tickets for members/general sale which would still sell out instantly. 

I'm pretty confident that they're exploring every avenue available to them to get capacity to as close as possible to that.

70,000 is the sweet spot for me. I think people are underestimating just how many walked away over the last 15 years.

It's not just about capacity though. SJP doesn't hold a candle to modern stadiums when it comes to facilities and pitchside views. Level 7 is an awful matchday experience for most, unless you are in the lowest rows of seats.

I think how the Saudis approach the stadium problem will give a good insight into how long they plan to stick around. If they just want to tart up SJP then that would suggest to me that they probably plan to flip us at some point in the next 10 years. An all-new stadium on Castle Leazes would be making a statement on a very long term plan.

1 hour ago, Wandy said:

. An all-new stadium on Castle Leazes would be making a statement on a very long term plan.

Are you referring to the land adjacent to Ponteland Road? Would have through that would be Freeman land and unavailable? The land behind Leazes Park looks a bit too tight. Arena area is due to commence housing development.

Unless we by some miracle manage to reclaim the Strawberry place land, I think we're limited to a tiered East stand. Really can't see the club moving away from the city. Would rather stay where we are with 52-58,000.

Edited by Turnbull2000