St James' Park

Delima

1 minute ago, madras said:

Why wouldn't they park where they already do ?

Because it that would be either almost on top of the stadium, i.e Newcastle College, so would be become significantly more difficult to get in to and out of, or would become on the ‘other’ side of the stadium so, again would take a lot longer to get away from.

7 minutes ago, Toon1892 said:

It’s out of the question to me and you but we aren’t the ones doing the feasibility study. All I’m saying is I think we should be careful what we wish for.

I know I’m biased but as part of city/ stadium experiences in the premier league, SJP is the best I’ve been to. 

The one thing I think we can rest assured of is that these owners are very aware of how unique and important the city centre location is to the club and the city in general. I don't envisage any scenario whereby they even slightly suggest that we should move out of the city centre, no matter what the feasibility study comes up with. And if that study does come up with a recomendation of moving out of town then I'd fully expect them to dismiss that recomendation out of hand.

3 minutes ago, Wandy said:

The one thing I think we can rest assured of is that these owners are very aware of how unique and important the city centre location is to the club and the city in general. I don't envisage any scenario whereby they even slightly suggest that we should move out of the city centre, no matter what the feasibility study comes up with. And if that study does come up with a recomendation of moving out of town then I'd fully expect them to dismiss that recomendation out of hand.

Really hope you’re right! But a billion pounds is a lot of money. Even for Saudi Arabia. 

1 minute ago, NWMag said:

They paid a billion just to settle the issue to even buy us

To get their foot in the door and it still took them three years to decide to do that. It isn’t pocket change or they’d have paid it far quicker. Not arguing, I just really hope you’re right.

19 minutes ago, Toon1892 said:

Really hope you’re right! But a billion pounds is a lot of money. Even for Saudi Arabia. 

I don't think money is the issue, to be honest. The way that the game is going NUFC may be worth £10bn within the next 20 years so dropping £1bn or so now to ensure the future value of the club could make a lot of sense.

I think the issue is permission to do stuff, but also the disruption to the club (and therefore the team) that might come from a move or redeveloment. But if the council came to the owners and said "here's the keys to Castle Leazes, do what you want with it" then I don't think they'd be too concerned about costs.

We could do what Spurs did and build a new stadium on *almost* the same footprint, ie moving the stadium slightly North-West to move away from Leazes Terrace. This would obviously mean a complete rethink of Barrack Road and would mean either redirecting it or maybe creating a tunnel wher Barrack Road currently is.

The issue we have with that proposition is that there will almost certainly be a period of time when we'd have to play at another venure...maybe for a full season, or even 18 months. They could maybe extend Gateshead Stadium to a capacity that accomodates current ST holders but that would mean virtually no general sale ticket sales. Maybe for that period of time they would need to bin off STs and make attendance by the ballot for everyone?

The other option of course would be playing down the road at the SoL. Unthinkable maybe at first thought but people might come round to it if they see what the final result of a new stadium would be.

28 minutes ago, Toon1892 said:

To get their foot in the door and it still took them three years to decide to do that. It isn’t pocket change or they’d have paid it far quicker. Not arguing, I just really hope you’re right.

Of course none of us really have any idea of our owners' long term vision for the club. Time will tell. I only hope that they follow the path of ManCity's owners by investing deeply in not only the club but also in the development of its environs. 

1 hour ago, SteV said:

Because it that would be either almost on top of the stadium, i.e Newcastle College, so would be become significantly more difficult to get in to and out of, or would become on the ‘other’ side of the stadium so, again would take a lot longer to get away from.

You haven't said why people wouldn't be parking where they already do. If we were to go there (and I do t think we will), the larger issue would be pedestrians, with the redheugh access being blocked with fans walking straight o er like the do on Barrack Road bringing traffic to a stand.

I don't think we'll move, we'll extend the Gallowgate and Strawberry corner and be able to do something with the East Stand, short of a full expansion, to squeeze in a few more seats.

Edited by madras

2 hours ago, Toon1892 said:

Really hope they find a way to expand SJP as it is. Hate to break it to the fans that want a new stadium. I don’t think you’d get planning to build a brand new plastic fantastic stadium on leazes park. 

They nearly managed it 30 years ago? 

10 minutes ago, madras said:

You haven't said why people wouldn't be parking where they already do. If we were to go there (and I do t think we will), the larger issue would be pedestrians, with the redheugh access being blocked with fans walking straight o er like the do on Barrack Road bringing traffic to a stand.

I don't think we'll move, we'll extend the Gallowgate and Strawberry corner and be able to do something with the East Stand, short of a full expansion, to squeeze in a few more seats.

I have - because the place they are currently parking will become a massive pain in the arse to get to and from, compared to what it is now, so they’ll not want to. That’s if they would even be allowed to if a stadium was ever constructed there.

I probably share your conclusion that expansion is far more likely than relocation though.

1 hour ago, number37 said:

If staying at St. James' stops Ed Sheeran, the Buffalo Bills or Spandex Steve from darkening our doorstep then I'm all for it. 

Extend Leazes Terrace. 

wew.

6 minutes ago, SteV said:

I have - because the place they are currently parking will become a massive pain in the arse to get to and from, compared to what it is now, so they’ll not want to. That’s if they would even be allowed to if a stadium was ever constructed there.

I probably share your conclusion that expansion is far more likely than relocation though.

Not want to ? They'll not have a choice. It's a bugger to get parked anyway so people park where they can and walk the rest.

12 minutes ago, Toon1892 said:

Correct. It was just nearly because there were too many people against it.

Nah, it failed mainly because John Hall's proposal was to keep SJP as a (smaller) rugby stadium as well as building the new football stadium, hence the loss of a lot of green space. A new proposal could allow for a land swap, whereby the current SJP plot becomes part of Leazes Park.

The "friends of Leazes Park" group (or whatever their name is) have already said they'd be open to developments that help renovate the park and this could be such a development. 

7 minutes ago, Wandy said:

Nah, it failed mainly because John Hall's proposal was to keep SJP as a (smaller) rugby stadium as well as building the new football stadium, hence the loss of a lot of green space. A new proposal could allow for a land swap, whereby the current SJP plot becomes part of Leazes Park.

The "friends of Leazes Park" group (or whatever their name is) have already said they'd be open to developments that help renovate the park and this could be such a development. 

If you’re building a bigger stadium you’d still be losing more green space.

Planning isn't granted by “friends of Leazes Park” either.

4 hours ago, Miggys First Goal said:

New stadium for me. Either Leazes or Arena. Use the Tottenham stadium as a starting point and make it 10x better.

Modern stadium. Modern amenities. Let's give bands/musicians/WWE/boxing/NFL a reason to come to the north east. Level up the region. Bring money into the region. Didn't they say the PSG game brought in £4m to the local economy? Let's get Taylor fucking Swift here, man. Swifties spend money!

What a bleak post this is. :lol:  Leaving SJP so we can better host absolutely shite Yank entertainment is the least convincing reason of all 

I’d much rather us stay at St. James’. With the investment and knowledge of the people we have backing us now, I’m sure they could work around most obstacles of expansion.

If this wasn’t possible, I would reluctantly accept a move to a new ground.

We’re a growing club and the size of the stadium needs to grow with it. It’s hard enough getting tickets now, but imagine in a few years (if everything goes our way) and we’re a true superpower. You’ll have new fans popping up from all over the world, aswell as here screaming for tickets.

They might finally update the website with that many touts entering the ballot.

12 minutes ago, Toon1892 said:

If you’re building a bigger stadium you’d still be losing more green space.

Planning isn't granted by “friends of Leazes Park” either.

Not necessarily. The current SJP site is a hefty plot of land that would be converted to green land.

And planning may not be granted by these groups but it was Dolly whats-her-face and her little band who effectively put the blockers on. The council were ready to approve it.

Flatten the stadium and rebuild on the approximate footprint. Consider  turning  the pitch round, re-routing roads, digging down, building over roads, moving a couple of hundred yards into Leazes park or whatever is required for a 65-70k stadium within throwing distance of the current ground.

27 minutes ago, Novocastrian said:

Flatten the stadium and rebuild on the approximate footprint. Consider  turning  the pitch round, re-routing roads, digging down, building over roads, moving a couple of hundred yards into Leazes park or whatever is required for a 65-70k stadium within throwing distance of the current ground.

And where do we play for 2 or 3 yrs ?