St James' Park

Delima

6 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

If you wanted to be cynical about it, the ground’s location is to the benefit of the wider city and the support - but it’s not actually to the benefit of the club.  What would be best for the club would be a stadium with few local amenities, forcing supporters to get there early and spend their money in the ground, not in local pubs.

Again, absolutely not advocating for this - the club should be in the city centre.  

Not a chance the club sell as many tickets though. Put it at Silverlink and you don’t get people from the West End turning up. Put it at Kingston Park, you don’t get people from North Tyneside turning up.

Either side of the city centre and people in South Tyneside, and Gateshead get their noses snubbed out.

Just now, Stifler said:

Not a chance the club sell as many tickets though. Put it at Silverlink and you don’t get people from the West End turning up. Put it at Kingston Park, you don’t get people from North Tyneside turning up.

Either side of the city centre and people in South Tyneside, and Gateshead get their noses snubbed out.

Can these people not travel like?

How many people city centre actually go to the games? I'd presume most are students anyways.

Just a question mind, not necessarily arguing anything here.

3 minutes ago, Stifler said:

This doesn’t happen in any other place where clubs have stadiums outside the city centre - but it would on Tyneside?

Seems doubtful 

7 minutes ago, FloydianMag said:

Newcastle is one of the most compact city centres in the UK. If it’s a new stadium then Castle Leazes is the only alternative or the Arena site if still an option. There are no other options in the city centre and a tarting up of SJP just won’t do it.

Agreed

29 minutes ago, Stifler said:

What? [emoji38]

24 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

This doesn’t happen in any other place where clubs have stadiums outside the city centre - but it would on Tyneside?

Seems doubtful 

I live in South Tyneside. Could I be arsed going to Kinky Park for an 8pm Europa League tie against some plodders from Denmark straight from graft when I’m back up for graft at 6am the next day? Sitting in traffic for ages or waiting for a 45 minute metro. I probably would, but would put many off.

i agree with someone who said that the location has kept the club going in the dark times. We all mocked the people that went under Ashley “it’s a day out man”. It isn’t a day out when you’re peeving around Gossy Park. 

14 minutes ago, Danh1 said:

I live in South Tyneside. Could I be arsed going to Kinky Park for an 8pm Europa League tie against some plodders from Denmark straight from graft when I’m back up for graft at 6am the next day? Sitting in traffic for ages or waiting for a 45 minute metro. I probably would, but would put many off.

i agree with someone who said that the location has kept the club going in the dark times. We all mocked the people that went under Ashley “it’s a day out man”. It isn’t a day out when you’re peeving around Gossy Park. 

Plenty don’t arse themselves for midweek European games at SJP in fairness.  I can still remember sitting in a half-empty SJP vs Tallinn not long before the Ashley era.

The vast majority of football clubs don’t have city centre stadiums - it’s what makes SJP special and unusual.   So unless our support is markedly worse than the average, I don’t think it would have made much difference over the years.  Again, not advocating for a move away from the city centre - but I think that we’d at least be able to match, say, Leeds in having decent crowds despite Elland Road being outside of the city centre. 

23 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Plenty don’t arse themselves for midweek European games at SJP in fairness.  I can still remember sitting in a half-empty SJP vs Tallinn not long before the Ashley era.

The vast majority of football clubs don’t have city centre stadiums - it’s what makes SJP special and unusual.   So unless our support is markedly worse than the average, I don’t think it would have made much difference over the years.  Again, not advocating for a move away from the city centre - but I think that we’d at least be able to match, say, Leeds in having decent crowds despite Elland Road being outside of the city centre. 

That's best part of 20 years ago now tbf. We were only getting 40k for some CL games (Feyenoord, Leverkusen, Kiev) and we didnt even sell out Juventus in the CL, or PSV in the UEFA Cup QF. Unimaginable these days. I bet we'd sell 52,000 for a midweek 2nd round League Cup match v Fleetwood if we drew them next season.

1 hour ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Seems doubtful 

1 hour ago, NE27 said:

Can these people not travel like?

How many people city centre actually go to the games? I'd presume most are students anyways.

Just a question mind, not necessarily arguing anything here.

52 minutes ago, Dr Venkman said:

What? [emoji38]

My point isn’t that they won’t come, my point is that less people would come.

You aren’t getting 80k people in at Silverlink or Kingston Park, but you would at Castle Leazes.

The transport and commute would put a lot of people off.

If anyone has seen the busses and trains after a match, then you know what I mean, much worse for midweek games where coming out of the match leaves you scrambling for the last busses.

3 minutes ago, Stifler said:

You aren’t getting 80k people in at Silverlink or Kingston Park, but you would at Castle Leazes.

If anyone has seen the busses and trains after a match, then you know what I mean, much worse for midweek games where coming out of the match leaves you scrambling for the last busses.

I can see where you're coming from like. Under the last couple of years of Ashley's time here, of the matchgoing fans I know, more were going for their day out around town on the drink as opposed to the football. A city centre stadium futureproofs the attendances I'd say, in that people will always turn up because of where it is. Move to an out of town arena, and when we're playing badly it's easier to find excuses not to turn up if it's a bit of a hassle.

If we move outside the city centre then in my opinion we loose a part of what makes matchday so special.

Would i still go if it was outside - yes, but I would agree with what has been said that it is easier for people not to turn up during the bad times if you are out of town.

The city centre on matchday is awesome, I've felt that buzz since I was 12 and still feel it now, shame to loose it.

Edited by Bally21

Staying in the city centre is non-negotiable. I don’t care about the potential upside in terms of commercial revenue by moving to a plush new stadium.

People don’t realise how brilliant our match day experience is compared to a lot of other clubs. I’ve watched a lot of football around the country and had to endure a lot of cramped bus journeys back from soulless, retail park bowls. It’s fucking miserable.

I question the priorities of anyone who wants to destroy that. I’d leave millions on the table to preserve what we have. It’s one of the best things about following NUFC.

16 minutes ago, christ said:

People don’t realise how brilliant our match day experience is compared to a lot of other clubs. I’ve watched a lot of football around the country and had to endure a lot of cramped bus journeys back from soulless, retail park bowls. It’s fucking miserable.

This can't be emphasised enough. Was at Wembley last year (granted it was for wrestling not football, but still) and if you want to go out on the lash anywhere decent after it's a massive cock on. 

29 minutes ago, christ said:

Staying in the city centre is non-negotiable. I don’t care about the potential upside in terms of commercial revenue by moving to a plush new stadium.

I question the priorities of anyone who wants to destroy that. I’d leave millions on the table to preserve what we have. It’s one of the best things about following NUFC.

Anybody who has ever been to Brighton’s new (?) ground will echo this. You can leave early, or you can hang about for hours after. They’ll leave the bars in the ground open, but the queue to get served will be as long as the one for the single train back to actual Brighton. 

6 minutes ago, sushimonster85 said:

This can't be emphasised enough. Was at Wembley last year (granted it was for wrestling not football, but still) and if you want to go out on the lash anywhere decent after it's a massive cock on. 

So it’s the availability of pubs near the ground that has become one of the main drivers for the club to remain in the city centre?

2 minutes ago, FloydianMag said:

So it’s the availability of pubs near the ground that has become one of the main drivers for the club to remain in the city centre?

I mean, that's obviously specific to certain groups, but replace 'pubs' with places to eat, things to do, shops etc. The city centre location is huge, but you only really notice it till you go to one of these grounds that's actually 10-15 miles outside the city. 

1 hour ago, Stifler said:

Those of us who spent our matchday lives travelling from the west end would dispute this mind.  Half the time you’d stay on the piss in the city afterwards because getting back home or to the local wasn’t feasible after the game - the roads west would be jammed.  I think many of those who think along these lines are likely to be somewhere on the Metro line - ie to the east end or south of the watta 

1 hour ago, Wallsendmag said:

That's best part of 20 years ago now tbf. We were only getting 40k for some CL games (Feyenoord, Leverkusen, Kiev) and we didnt even sell out Juventus in the CL, or PSV in the UEFA Cup QF. Unimaginable these days. I bet we'd sell 52,000 for a midweek 2nd round League Cup match v Fleetwood if we drew them next season.

In part that’s because we got used to it - that is just as likely to happen now as then.  Also, those CL group games required folks to buy all three tickets upfront at inflated prices - I paid £120 back in 2002 to do so; a lot of money back then. 

1 hour ago, christ said:

Haven’t seen a single person on here suggest they’d want it tbf.  It would be a shite outcome.  Can’t think of a good away at one of the out of town stadiums. 

15 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Haven’t seen a single person on here suggest they’d want it tbf.  It would be a shite outcome.  Can’t think of a good away at one of the out of town stadiums. 

Well if you do spot anyone chatting shite let me know and I will knack them.

30 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Depends on if you consider the arena site as the city centre, because plenty have suggested that and while it wouldn't be as bad as going to Retail World or something, it would still be absolutely shite and less central compared to what we have

4 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Those of us who spent our matchday lives travelling from the west end would dispute this mind.  Half the time you’d stay on the piss in the city afterwards because getting back home or to the local wasn’t feasible after the game - the roads west would be jammed.  I think many of those who think along these lines are likely to be somewhere on the Metro line - ie to the east end or south of the watta 

In part that’s because we got used to it - that is just as likely to happen now as then.  Also, those CL group games required folks to buy all three tickets upfront at inflated prices - I paid £120 back in 2002 to do so; a lot of money back then. 

It's a totally different era now. There's more fans around and football has never been so popular. Back in 2002 you'd never have dreamt that a club like West Ham would be pulling in 65k every week, but here we are.

Find Anfield an absolute chore from city centre in an absolute shit area, nowhere has the city centre buzz like Newcastle on match days. We are very lucky to have the location, even though i’m a massive advocate for a new stadium it must be just up Barrack Road or by the river.

7 hours ago, Danh1 said:

100% correct. People who want a stadium outside the city centre should just follow NFL