St James' Park

Delima

21 hours ago, WilliamPS said:

Well devils advocate if you just do L7, and move all the east stand season ticket holders up there, and redo the east stand you could turn the whole east stand corporate and get most of the income. Swap season ticket holders paying hundreds for boxes earning thousands. Easiest way to boost revenue, as it’s the corporate option that is lacking compared to other grounds.

You said you think a new stadium would be multi billions, that won’t get paid for out of season tickets costing thousands.

It depends on what the Board decide the aim of the stadium is. Atmosphere or cash.

A new stadium wouldn’t cost a billion, never mind multiple billions

1 minute ago, TheBrownBottle said:

A new stadium wouldn’t cost a billion, never mind multiple billions

It would be around a billion to get the kind of stadium the owners would want.

2 minutes ago, JonBez comesock said:

£750m?

50k ? Seater 

60k seater 

billon ?

Google is saying Tottenham’s stadium was around a billion. I’d expect the owners would use that as the benchmark. 

Think Roma’s new stadium is costing circa 1 billion so would expect a 65k plus new stadium to easily come in over this.

I think it cost Liverpool 80 million to add 5k seats at the Anfield Road end, but this was a far easier development than we would face at the Gallowgate End, a more comparable expansion would be Man City’s North Stand development which is costing them 300 million.

I’m massively in favour of a new stadium the only concern I have is that Castle Leazes appears the only option, I think someone on here said that the footprint required for a 70k stadium is to big for that site though.

I think looking at the above numbers and difficulty of finding a city centre site it’ll be a redevelopment of St James we get. My only hope is that it’s a complete refurb like we’ve seen at the Bernabeu and not just a mirror image of the Leazes End which would be a disaster for the atmosphere and wouldn’t future proof us, as facilities in rest of the stadium are sub standard and dated.

Am working directly in a similar role now so I’m way more relaxed about the timing of it.. as in a snails pace. It’s just the way of it.

The feasibility study will be done.. but it won’t be like a thing that goes straight back to Darren Eales and he says.. yes do that one!

Doesn’t work like that. They’ll be sending that info on to a QS firm who will do a rough costing of various options.

A brief will be made and there’ll be a big meeting with many folk who will trash out the options. Once they choose an option, then it goes back to the architect, the QS firm, Fire Consultant, Access Consultant etc.. it’s an overall design team and they all do costings that goes into a tender document.. then on to PIF who have to approve it.. but like you’re talking 1.5 years for that to all take place.

Then once the brief is out is has to be out for tender for construction companies who’ll want it.. and there could be 10-15 of them. That’s a whole other saga of project management to even get it to a stage where there’ll be boots on the ground as it were with winning appointees 

How long did the planning and development of the 2000 expansion take? Seemed to be extremely quick considering some structures like the leazes were just 5 year old at the time. 

Obviously less complex, but the leazes development was still in the conservation area, and the gargantuan height would have raised concerns for right to light over the far end of leazes terrace 

37 minutes ago, Pancrate1892 said:

How long did the planning and development of the 2000 expansion take? Seemed to be extremely quick considering some structures like the leazes were just 5 year old at the time. 

Obviously less complex, but the leazes development was still in the conservation area, and the gargantuan height would have raised concerns for right to light over the far end of leazes terrace 

2 years build time. Planning expedited as Secretary of State waived the right to an enquiry. All on Wiki:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_James'_Park

2 hours ago, JonBez comesock said:

😂😂

Looks like I need to give up the day job of being a civils QS running a team of 30 civil engineering cost estimators including projects which top $1bn ... :) 

Nah, I'll reiterate this.  A new NUFC stadium is unlikely to cost billions.  It is unlikely to top 1bn.

Spurs' ground cost 1bn+.  This is because large scale civil engineering projects are particularly impacted by location - access to site, space restrictions, time restrictions, site conditions etc.  Material procurement is a relatively steady cost and can be quantified quite easily.  Spurs were building their ground with quite severe access issues, on a site with difficult ground conditions (it is a city location, and therefore it is unlikely that any excavated material could be re-used; besides, there would be nowhere to stockpile it).  Everton's ground cost has been mentioned - Everton were building in the docklands, and had ground contamination issues.

If NUFC were to build at Castle Leazes, the site has few access restrictions, and is on a relatively level plot of land with little site clearance requirements.  The soil is unlikely to have contamination issues (contaminated soil is a nightmare cost-wise).  It can be programmed easily as a result of the lack of space restrictions, meaning that the program can be crashed for maximum cost-efficiency.  It is unlikely that any nightworks would be required due to the lack of disruption. 

Don't get me wrong, if they go for a 80k+ super stadium, then yes this would comfortably top 1bn.  I'm not sure that's what we'd be getting.