St James' Park

Delima

3 minutes ago, Kanji said:

The impact to the city centre businesses pre and post match would be nuclear. That will 100% weigh into this issue. Also for the club to leave the current site they'd have to break the current lease, which I am sure is costly as fuck too versus some sort of amicable trade / pay off that locks the club in the city centre in exchange for that breakage. 

If we are talking about cost/benefit analysis, PIF are probably the only owners who could buy out the lease and not really give a fuck. Anyone else - or even PIF themselves - will probably have to budget to be a top 6 club rather than a CL club if we can't expand St James to somewhere close to the capacity of the cartel clubs. Maybe if PSR is lifted then they could have a blast at it while they are here, but if they sold up, it would revert to top 6 at best, as no new owner is going to throw their own money into it in an effort to keep up.

Just now, TRon said:

If we are talking about cost/benefit analysis, PIF are probably the only owners who could buy out the lease and not really give a fuck. Anyone else - or even PIF themselves - will probably have to budget to be a top 6 club rather than a CL club if we can't expand St James to somewhere close to the capacity of the cartel clubs. Maybe if PSR is lifted then they could have a blast at it while they are here, but if they sold up, it would revert to top 6 at best, as no new owner is going to throw their own money into it in an effort to keep up.

Sometimes these municipal leaseholds on stadiums are pretty nuclear in terms of breakage. Like one even the mighty PIF wouldnt want to do given the ripple effects. 

2 minutes ago, Wandy said:

I think their fans would swiftly come round to the idea if we handed £25m per season to them. It would secure their FFP status for years.

Would be blood money marra, they'd be incandescent at having to give up their fake moral high ground

Moving it to the racecourse site or outside the city fundamentally changes the club's unique positiioning and relationship with the city centre. The club just cant up and leave the lease in place and whatever recourse would be involved with that. 

NFL and Heavyweight Boxing ain't happening unless NCL airport expands inbound flights + quality hotel lodging improves. Concerts will no doubt increase with better facilties, assuming we would literally take anything that goes to Sunderland. 

Thought the arena site had been sold and was therefore not an option? I'd be happy with that location though tbf.

It's either a class redevelopment of SJP (for £1bn it'll be a lot more than just adding 10k seats) or a new stadium behind SJP on Leazes Park for me. 

The new stadium on Leazes Park probably isn't going to be so easy and might not be an option either.

Building a stadium well out of the city centre would be deflating to say the least.

Edited by Karjala

4 minutes ago, LFEE said:

Why do you say that?

It is really. 60k is too small, but 70k with the ability to take it to 80k easily enough if demand holds is great. Let’s remember that Man Utd don’t have 80k seater stadium, Liverpool won’t even have that much when they are done with their expansions.

I can’t see us needing a stadium capacity much higher than 80k.

2 hours ago, OpenC said:

Because it's miles away from the centre of town.  Elswick riverside would be a better choice than that for me.

Additionally, honestly not to be down on anybody who's genuinely excited by this prospect because your opinion is worth as much as mine, but how good something will look to people coming in on a train, or from a drone shot with the river behind it shouldn't be anywhere near our thinking, like :)  I keep reading this as a reason for the arena site, "because it'll look good for people who aren't there and most of them won't go / will look good on the telly".  Complete non-issues imo :lol:

Elswick man 🤣

The away coaches would have no wheels by 5pm every Saturday

Buying Utilita Arena and building there IMO is the only legit option. And giving wording about not regretting the decision as a city, helps that. As you see with Man City stadium, that’s completely hauled the neighbouring area, and a mega new stadium there near the Tyne, can see that whole neighbouring area rejuvenated over time with the city area expanded out further for retail and leisure. 

1 hour ago, J7 said:

For what reason out of interest? The ballache of having to travel that far?

Aye. I'm in Gateshead and I'd have to get through the town traffic and then battle other fans through Gosforth or wherever it is. I'd probably be fine doing it a few times but after the 10th or so I'd just be wishing I was in the house or down my local watching on IPTV. I can just imagine the club not feeling like Newcastle United in this scenario.

Slightly off topic but it's amazing how folk are (quite understandably) discussing 70 & 80k capacity stadiums. Watching the lads when 18k was deemed decent I'd have never dreamt how the game has developed over these 40 odd years. 

57 minutes ago, gbandit said:

So much noise about this right now. Does feel like we’re going to get some concrete news soon 

Hopefully other building materials as well.